Groups

Body Scanners at Airports, Yay or Nay?

What do you think of Body Scanners now.

I personally think it's one of the worst ideas in aviation history.
    It breaches privacy, it breaches laws, they are expensive, they are an inconvenience, and they don't even detect powders and liquids which is the case for them to have been brought into force in the first place.

It's just another act for governments to make this country even worse.
    I for one will be trying my best to lessen air travel in the future if the body scanners are still there, i would hate to be virtually strips-searched.
    We don't get manually strip searched, so why should we virtually?

61 Comments

as long as i can get a job scanning the lovely ladies:-D

Original Poster

shedboy66;7431415

as long as i can get a job scanning the lovely ladies:-D

Don't post my nude pictures on the internet :x lol (I'm a guy though)

Has to be a good thing

Editor

I agree with you 100% DarkKnight, its a total invasion of privacy.

If the procedures that are already in place were actually fully and properly implemented then there is no need for this.

akme;7431424

Has to be a good thing

+1. Why would I have anything to hide. Oh no they can see my unmentionables.

Banned

Losing some privacy vs getting blown up.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm difficult choice.

*gets winkle out*

Or maybe you fancy free falling from 5 miles up with only a sick bag and in flight magazine for protection

tbh wouldn't bother me at all - least I would know I was travelling safely!

Original Poster

akme;7431424

Has to be a good thing

Why?

Adam2050;7431434

+1. Why would I have anything to hide. Oh no they can see my … +1. Why would I have anything to hide. Oh no they can see my unmentionables.

Why not just keep the original security measures?

vibeone;7431436

Losing some privacy vs getting blown up.Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm difficult … Losing some privacy vs getting blown up.Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm difficult choice.*gets winkle out*

It would be extremely difficult to blow up a plane already, surely a terrorist would either blow up somewhere where there isn't so much security involved, or just fly from a different country?

melipona;7431441

Or maybe you fancy free falling from 5 miles up with only a sick bag and … Or maybe you fancy free falling from 5 miles up with only a sick bag and in flight magazine for protection

Huh?

millarcat;7431433

I agree with you 100% DarkKnight, its a total invasion of privacy.If the … I agree with you 100% DarkKnight, its a total invasion of privacy.If the procedures that are already in place were actually fully and properly implemented then there is no need for this.

This is the answer i was hoping somebody would mention :thumbsup:
    Nice one.

Banned

[SIZE="3"]inb4 ugly/fat people don't like being seen naked[/SIZE]

vibeone;7431436

Losing some privacy vs getting blown up.Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm difficult … Losing some privacy vs getting blown up.Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm difficult choice.*gets winkle out*

Silly song came into my head. John.

inb4 if you havent got nothing to hide why do you care.

big brother is watch you.

DarkKnight;7431491

Why not just keep the original security measures?

Time consuming, and terriorist will eventually find away if you belief what is said.

gerbil power??;7431494

inb4 if you havent got nothing to hide why do you care.big brother is … inb4 if you havent got nothing to hide why do you care.big brother is watch you.

Any snow near you?

i went through one of these coming back from Vegas didn't know what it was till my hubs told me afterwards i was not impressed :oops: If people know what they are and can make the choice between this or being patted down then its ok.

And why not consider using even more invasive security measures?
    ]Internal

Adam2050;7431518

Any snow near you?

concord

Banned

Does the OP object to the current security measures too?

Is taking his shows off or having the wand waved over him too much invasion of privacy?

I had the old pad-down at a gig the other day - would he object to this?

Original Poster

Adam2050;7431508

Time consuming, and terriorist will eventually find away if you belief … Time consuming, and terriorist will eventually find away if you belief what is said.

There is no security measure that is not time consuming though.
    And i'm sure there will be even longer delays due to Scanners, as there are not very many, and each one takes almost half a minute. Those minutes would add up
    I suggest that the body scanners be used only in extreme cases where someone failed the original security checks.

If somebody is trying to kill you or those you love at what point does defending yourself become inconvenient?

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;7431636

Does the OP object to the current security measures too?Is taking his … Does the OP object to the current security measures too?Is taking his shows off or having the wand waved over him too much invasion of privacy?I had the old pad-down at a gig the other day - would he object to this?

No i'm not objecting to the current security measures, i don't mind the odd pat-down and taking my shoes off.
    But i feel that body scanners are going way too far.
    They are also breaking child protection laws, which were put in place for a reason.

I think it is going to cost an awful lot of money and only offer very little as far as security is concerned.....as has been said it does not detect certain materials that could be used plus you can make a bomb with materials you can buy in the airport once you have been through security.
    I think the tecnology needs more work to avoid the privacy issue and apparently that is being looked at in america but not here.

and for those who said about others not wanting it coz they are fat or unattractive what about hot young girls like my daughter? I already have seen older men learing at her and it isnt nice!!

newtzy;7431473

tbh wouldn't bother me at all - least I would know I was travelling … tbh wouldn't bother me at all - least I would know I was travelling safely!

Not really, the latest thinking is that the bombers could ingest the materials needed to cause an explosion. This latest technology would not detect this.

This might be the eventual solution http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/01/article-1166157-043425D0000005DC-294_634x463.jpg

Personally dont mind.
    If it keeps me safe(r) and only takes a few minutes then so be it.
    Hopefully it'll act as a deterrant as well.

Unfortunately i also believe that if 1 of these idiots wants to blow up a plane, they will find a way!

For those saying about privacy issues, I don't actually see what the problem is, (if you have looked into the usage of these scanners).

No one person sees both bits of information, ie I don't see YOU walk into the scanner, then see all your naughty bits, then see you walk out the otherside.
    The 'viewer' is in a seperate control room monitoring the scan data. If they see something suspect then the tell the officers at the gate / scanner to stop the person currently being checked for further checking.
    The officers at the gate / scanner see you, the operator in the 'security room' sees the scanner images.
    This is done PRECISELY so that there are no privacy issues...

Although walking through a scanner with "Hi There!" written across your chest under your clothes might be good for a giggle and brightening up the day of the person checking the scans!

Banned

I think the idea is a good one. I have no objection whatsoever to people being scanned who fit a profile, act suspiciously and (especially) carrying a rucksack.

HTH.

if it saves lifes in the long run im all for it

Original Poster

I think the most funny...and stupid part of it is that the person at the centre of the "Christmas Day incident" actually got scanned through a body scanner, it didn't find anything wrong with him.

So are we going to be more secure? the answer is no
    Are we going to be more intruded? the answer is yes

I think these scanner would be much more fun for everyone in the queue if the scanned picture was displayed for all to see on large plasma TVs. Would be the funniest part of travelling, which to be honest is getting more and more of a pain every time.

It isn't the security measures they put in place that annoy people most of the time, it's the attitude of the staff that annoys me. Treat me like a passenger until you prove I'm a terrorist and not the other way around.

All of this just because the Yanks cannot get their act together, they spend billions getting information, then ignore it.

Does the body scanner jus minus the clothes??

OP,i'm personally all for the scanners because it will save me from having to practically undress,raise my bare feet up in the air etc,etc every time i leave the country.

I think its because i have a skin head :whistling:

Original Poster

squadonline;7431876

Does the body scanner jus minus the clothes??

Basically yes, it picks up mostly metal or other hard objects.
    It doesn't pick up most liquids and powders though (The stuff that bombs are usually made from)

Banned

yuck, i dont like looking in the mirror dressed let alone naked, the people in the room with the scanner machines gonna have to have some strong stomaches

Banned

pointless afterthought and a waste of money......

how about targeting the corruption in nigeria which is where the latest bomber flew in from

A scanner image taken from a recent trial in the usa :thumbsup:

http://sleevage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/homer_simpson_xray.jpg

** awaits when they go live and the pics start appearing on the internet

Lets see how the supporters feel then.............

DarkKnight;7431919

Basically yes, it picks up mostly metal or other hard objects.It doesn't … Basically yes, it picks up mostly metal or other hard objects.It doesn't pick up most liquids and powders though (The stuff that bombs are usually made from)

Some proper inovation. Does any one kno how that scanner is made. Infra-red or what.... Da guy huz gna see all these is gonna havv sum tym.. Btw I hope these don't leak out like the CCTV vidz v c on utube ... Lol... Body scanner fails ....

tinkerbell28;7432054

:?

lol wasn't just me

Banned

Alfonse;7432070

lol wasn't just me

Rodent Multi?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions