Boiler breakdown cover

Posted 15th Oct
Does anyone have any recommendations for boiler breakdown cover? We've been with British Gas for a few years now without really paying attention. Now the annual bill is £360, I figure we could buy a new boiler every 3 years for that!!

What's worse is that new British Gas customers pay £2.50 a month, less than a tenth of what they're asking from me. So it's time to swap.

I'm not bothered about the absolute cheapest price (anything will be cheaper than my renewal!), more about people's reviews regarding call outs etc.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Phone them and discuss your price
deals6915/10/2019 21:59

Phone them and discuss your price

I'll need to phone them anyway to cancel so no doubt I'll be going through their 'retention' team. That should be an entertaining call!
slimy3115/10/2019 22:01

I'll need to phone them anyway to cancel so no doubt I'll be going through …I'll need to phone them anyway to cancel so no doubt I'll be going through their 'retention' team. That should be an entertaining call!

Haha yup. That price seems absurd and I'm sure you'll end up with a reasonable offer. Hopefully
Think my old dear's BG cover renewal was high-£300s which instantly dropped to mid-£2s when she called to ask if there had been a mistake in the price. I expect if she had the will / ability to haggle it would have cost even less. Instead she had a new boiler fitted and binned the cover, although realistically the new boiler warranty does not cover all the items / system the BG policy claimed (sic) it did.
Many options and prices to act as datum for comparisons at homeserve.com/uk/…-mb
Actually just called them last weekend for my mother - the proposed price was a 20% increase on the previous year. I also called them last year and had some supposed "discounts" applied which they said they could not repeat this year. However managed to get the price down £150 from what was proposed by going onto a £60 call out for each repair and making one annual payment - she's had no call outs past few years so seems a reasonable risk to take.

British Gas are not the cheapest but when you need them their service is excellent - particularly for elderly customers.
Cancel the cover. Take out the £2.50 cover in wife’s name.
Or get a brand new boiler with 10 year warranty.
Cheaper in the long run.
As I've mentioned on previous posts, you get "teaser rates " in the first year which rise the next ,and subsequent years to £25 - £30 a month .

Have you checked your home insurance , most have "Home Emergency cover" included or as an "add on for £25 -£30 a year . This covers you for up to £1000 for calling out an engineer for loss of heating and/or hot water (boiler failure). I would put £10 a month into a ring fenced account to self insure for the event of boiler needing replacement .

You can also get stand alone Home emergency cover (check on Topcashback for a list that also give a bit back in cashback ) .

I have said many times on here what a rip off BG/Homeserve cover is , expensive even for the "discounted " first year - then extortionate thereafter- Look up Boiler cover in the search box and you will find lots of suggestions (probably even come across a few of mine ).
I pay £60 pa for home emergency cover, which include boilers and central heating breakdown.
bigwheels15/10/2019 22:29

Cancel the cover. Take out the £2.50 cover in wife’s name.Or get a brand ne …Cancel the cover. Take out the £2.50 cover in wife’s name.Or get a brand new boiler with 10 year warranty.Cheaper in the long run.

That's actually what my wife suggested!

When we had the boiler installed we relied on the warranty, and it really wasn't worth the paper it was written on. We didn't pay for the call out, but we also had to wait 7 days for someone to come out to it. I'll never do that again, even with a new boiler. That's one reason why we're still with British Gas, at least they're always at your door within 24 hours. I can't fault them for that.
deleted90213915/10/2019 22:34

As I've mentioned on previous posts, you get "teaser rates " in the first …As I've mentioned on previous posts, you get "teaser rates " in the first year which rise the next ,and subsequent years to £25 - £30 a month

I know there isn't any savings to be had in loyalty, but to go ten times from the 'teaser rate' is just unreasonable.
slimy31:

That's actually what my wife suggested!

When we had the boiler installed we relied on the warranty, and it really wasn't worth the paper it was written on. We didn't pay for the call out, but we also had to wait 7 days for someone to come out to it. I'll never do that again, even with a new boiler. That's one reason why we're still with British Gas, at least they're always at your door within 24 hours. I can't fault them for that.

Re:24 hours.

I tried to call British Gas boiler cover last Saturday, only to be told they don't do weekend calls and I had to wait until Monday. Apparently they will come out at weekends for elderly/vulnerable.

Here's their appointment calendar online with greyed-out Sat/Sun.

38675918-MHxuE.jpg
terriclarkfan16/10/2019 06:21

I tried to call British Gas boiler cover last Saturday, only to be told …I tried to call British Gas boiler cover last Saturday, only to be told they don't do weekend calls and I had to wait until Monday. Apparently they will come out at weekends for elderly/vulnerable.

That's interesting, we've definitely had weekend callouts for us (and I don't remember being elderly, at least not yet!). We've even had a weekend boiler service. If they are indeed dropping weekends, then they can no longer call it a 24/7 service.
I've just had a glance through the terms and conditions PDF for homecare, and it talks about the helpline being 24 hours but nowhere does it actually state that you can get an engineer 7 days a week.
Happy to be corrected.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 16th Oct
terriclarkfan16/10/2019 06:37

I've just had a glance through the terms and conditions PDF for homecare, …I've just had a glance through the terms and conditions PDF for homecare, and it talks about the helpline being 24 hours but nowhere does it actually state that you can get an engineer 7 days a week. Happy to be corrected.

yeah it was very sneakly changed some years ago - no longer a 24/7/365 call out but their phone lines are open 24/7/365
If you really want to stick with BG then cancel and wait 6 weeks ( I think) and go back as a new customer . Friend of mine did this and got better rates. Obviously there is a risk of no cover during this period.
tardytortoise16/10/2019 07:18

yeah it was very sneakly changed some years ago - no longer a 24/7/365 …yeah it was very sneakly changed some years ago - no longer a 24/7/365 call out but their phone lines are open 24/7/365

I need a life, but I'm very tempted to raise this with ASA. Their TV ads with that cartoon penguin certainly imply they're "there for you 24/7".

Edit: just saw the ad. "We've got you covered, 365 days a year".
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 16th Oct
That boiler breakdown cover is a joke of a price. We got our home/contents insurance and emergency cover for boiler etc for less than that.

Should be able to get a decent emergency cover for around £50, that's what we paid for ours and we used it in the first year as we had a breakdown. Was expecting a price rise for the 2nd year especially after the callout but it remained the same so kept it.

Our insurance was with the halifax and the emergency cover was underwritten by Sunlife.
As an alternative have a look at this for comparison sse.co.uk/hom…ces
Just don’t even think about corgi. Had a run in with them recently.

Engineer turned up to do annual service and asked to use the loo. Then, 10 minutes into the service he said the refill loop was broken, he showed me that you could pull it repeatedly and nothing happened. So he told corgi and for some reason he told them it was a pre-existing fault and so it wasn’t covered. I pointed out that the policy was over 6 months old, they then said well it is a pre-existing fault and probably caused by limescale and we don’t cover limescale damage. The engineer offered to fix it for £75 cash.

I contacted a local plumber and he pointed out that I probably had warranty cover. I did indeed, engineer from Worcester Bosch came a couple of days later and amazingly the refill loop worked, straight away, not very well, but it did work. So the corgi engineer had flicked the isolation valve and pretended it didn’t work. WB engineer changed it anyway as the pressure wasn’t brilliant and the other type would work better. It did and I took a look at the old one, limescale was barely visible, it had probably only ever had a few litres of water through it.

Oh and after the corgi engineer had left I realised our cistern was being really awkward to flush. Strangely I had opened it only a couple of days previous to the visit, so I knew the basics of how it worked. So I popped out the 2 flush buttons, and someone ???? had altered the height of the rods the buttons pressed to make it flush, I unscrewed them about 2 turns and everything was fine again and has been since. Looks like he had lined himself up with another little cash job.

TL;DR Never Corgi!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants