Boiler breakdown service

Found 23rd May
Hey

so my year with HomeServe is up, and they were awful, the one time I needed them in the winter I was on hold for 45 mins and was a 5 working day wait for a engineer, so fat lot of good they were...

i am am inclined to think they are all as bad as each other, but I am open to change my mind if anyone has anything good to say about any of them, specifically the call out time in the winter.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
put your monthly fee from homeserve in a saving account and use it for a year service with your local gas engineer....50-60 pounds they'll charge. the rest will be for an emergency situation....again a local gas engineer will do
8 Comments
put your monthly fee from homeserve in a saving account and use it for a year service with your local gas engineer....50-60 pounds they'll charge. the rest will be for an emergency situation....again a local gas engineer will do
When I did the cheap Homeserve year, it seemed to be that only labour was included in repairs such as leaking taps. I was advised by one of their engineers to go to B&Q to buy parts to get it fixed.
Edited by: "drasim" 23rd May
With Swinton Home Emergency. Gold cover.
They cover everything, from boiler, to electrics, to the roof.

Had a few call outs over the winter for the boiler,arrived next day, parts ordered and fitted the day after. Calls answered within 5 mins.

Brilliant for what I pay and total peace of mind.

Had a electrical issue, downstairs sockets stopped working, rang them, theysorted that out to in 24 hours.

Cover toilets/plumbing too, though never used them for that.
I have a free boiler breakdown cover as a part of my home insurance with Admiral. Had to call them a 3 times in the past five years as I had a positively ancient boiler, which I had to recently replace. To be fair I can't complain about their service. Engineer visited within 24 hours of call - however that was only to diagnose the problem. it took a 4-5 days for parts to be ordered and boiler fixed. Once I had an admin problem, where engineer was sent to wrong address and that delayed things by a day and when I complained Admiral immediately offered a small compensation.
I’ll champion British Gas. They might be a bit more expensive than the others that have been suggested but in my experience (including landlord Homecare) the service hotline is answered within minutes and a call out is usually within 24-48 hours. I called them out Boxing Day last year and they arrived within hours. With my Homecare I also get a free annual service which I think is a plus. I think the monthly payment is around £15 (within the M25) with a £60excess. The cover includes parts and labour just for boiler and controls.
It was recently on the news about the amount of boiler repairs this winter and lots of people waited a week for help.

I think from this summer the government wants to bring in legislation to prioritise the old and vulnerable in the repair order/reduced waiting time, I believe some providers claim to do this voluntarily already.

Its probably a fact of where you live, repairman availability and demand.

Like Discozohan says, if you save your money you will have the open market to choose and engeneer from.
groenleader3 h, 54 m ago

Like Discozohan says, if you save your money you will have the open market …Like Discozohan says, if you save your money you will have the open market to choose and engeneer from.

Whilst I agree with the general idea, the problem then is finding a local independent engineer that is willing to come out without charging an emergency fee or leaving their current job to fix a boiler. Then they may have to order a part and then you’re reliant on them coming back ASAP.
With British Gas they have lots of men designated to your locality who work in a team and often swap jobs to the nearest man. Sometimes they have parts onboard or can ring their team members and see if they’ve got a part they can drop off etc. They usually have access to a central warehouse that have the bits in stock and they then book you in there and then tocome back. Complaining to a big company is also easier than a one man band plumber in the event anything goes wrong.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 24th May
I personally know someone who has waited over 1 month with bg during winter. This was years back so maybe they have improved.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants