Boiler cover?

Posted 13th Oct
Hi everyone, my 2 year worcester boiler guarantee has come to an end, please can you recommend who to go with, British gas, homeserve etc?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Are you sure you only got a 2 year warranty with it ? Most boilers (certainly Vaillant and Worcester Bosch ) have come with 7 year warranties for the last 6 years at least (as my Vaillant did) and currently , I believe , come with 9 or 10 years ?
deleted90213913/10/2019 11:13

Are you sure you only got a 2 year warranty with it ? Most boilers …Are you sure you only got a 2 year warranty with it ? Most boilers (certainly Vaillant and Worcester Bosch ) have come with 7 year warranties for the last 6 years at least (as my Vaillant did) and currently , I believe , come with 9 or 10 years ?

Only if they are fitted by an approved fitter, not everyone knows to check and it costs them in the long run.
Yes my only states 2 year and it was by an approved fitter thanks
deleted90213913/10/2019 11:13

Are you sure you only got a 2 year warranty with it ? Most boilers …Are you sure you only got a 2 year warranty with it ? Most boilers (certainly Vaillant and Worcester Bosch ) have come with 7 year warranties for the last 6 years at least (as my Vaillant did) and currently , I believe , come with 9 or 10 years ?

Some sponsored installs have reduced warranty duration. Has been debated previously on HUKD.
Yorkshirehotuk13/10/2019 11:45

If that is the case , the best way is via the "Home Emergency cover" on your Home Insurance . Included in some policies, about £20 option on others . Covers you for up to £1000 (normally ) call out fees and parts for loss of heating or hot water . Self insure for any difference above this (put away £10 per month ring fenced).

Homeserve / British Gas are a rip off from what I've heard . £20 -£30 a month

Boilers are very reliable these days (service yearly ) and should run without drama for years . Coming up to 7 years with mine now (Vaillant ) without it missing a beat (touch wood) . So in effect by relying on the warranty and Home Emergency cover for insurance I have saved £1500 Homeserve payments since I have had it .

Other members may have good stories about other schemes but BG/Homeserve seem way expensive after the initial "teaser" year .
Edited by: "rogparki" 13th Oct
Our boiler warranty just run out too.
Went with BG - £21 level 3 cover. it includes yearly service which is usually 60 ish.
call outs are 60 on this level of cover. if go level 4 for 30 then call outs are free but as boiler only 2 yo, felt we shouldn't need call out more than twice a year to make up the 120 a year cover difference.
Surewise. Co. UK do home emergency insurance at is very affordable price £55 PER YEAR! You have to have your boiler serviced annually (£45 on wowcher or Groupon) and they also cover burst pipes, slipped roof tiles, break in, toilet not working, wasp nests etc. I have them on my rental properties. I have claimed too. They are excellent. Boiler must be less than 10 years old. Also ring Worcester Bosch to see how much they will charge to extend the existing warranty as they are very highly rated and provide excellent service.
Mickyfinn13/10/2019 12:31

Surewise. Co. UK do home emergency insurance at is very affordable price …Surewise. Co. UK do home emergency insurance at is very affordable price £55 PER YEAR! You have to have your boiler serviced annually (£45 on wowcher or Groupon) and they also cover burst pipes, slipped roof tiles, break in, toilet not working, wasp nests etc. I have them on my rental properties. I have claimed too. They are excellent. Boiler must be less than 10 years old. Also ring Worcester Bosch to see how much they will charge to extend the existing warranty as they are very highly rated and provide excellent service.

In my opinion Worcester customer service is awful.
I'm with British gas and can't fault the service, repaired our boiler a couple of times over the years with no fuss also use them to do the annual service.
Next time you do your home insurance, get a quote from Sheila’s wheels or esure, they include free home cover which includes boiler repairs. They tend to be the cheapest in our area for insurance.
Yorkshirehotuk13/10/2019 11:45

Can the approved fitted not provide an annual service and call out as and when required?
£2.50 BG cover for boiler and controls
£100 excess for calls
As above at less than £5 a month.
Do a free online quote with British Gas, they’ll ring you back soon after. Ask them if the cover includes an annual service, if it does tell them you don’t need that and ask them if they can reduce the quote. You might be surprised by the reduction.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 13th Oct
Toptrumpet13/10/2019 14:52

As above at less than £5 a month.Do a free online quote with British Gas, …As above at less than £5 a month.Do a free online quote with British Gas, they’ll ring you back soon after. Ask them if the cover includes an annual service, if it does tell them you don’t need that and ask them if they can reduce the quote. You might be surprised by the reduction.

Surely you need proof that it has been serviced annually?
JimboParrot13/10/2019 15:14

Why do you need to service a boiler annually? If it’s more or less new and working as it should, I can’t see a reason to pay out unnecessarily for a service.
If it was in rented accomodation that might be a different matter, but not your own residential dwelling.
I would recommend putting money in a pot and keeping it until you need it for repairs.
Toptrumpet13/10/2019 15:19

Why do you need to service a boiler annually? If it’s more or less new and …Why do you need to service a boiler annually? If it’s more or less new and working as it should, I can’t see a reason to pay out unnecessarily for a service. If it was in rented accomodation that might be a different matter, but not your own residential dwelling.

Because the T&Cs in every Boiler cover I've seen state as a condition that it must be serviced annually .Maybe you should read the T&Cs of your cover ? If in rented accommodation it would be the Landlords legal responsibility to have it serviced annually at his / her cost .
Edited by: "rogparki" 13th Oct
deleted90213913/10/2019 15:33

Because the T&Cs in every Boiler cover I've seen state as a condition that …Because the T&Cs in every Boiler cover I've seen state as a condition that it must be serviced annually .Maybe you should read the T&Cs of your cover ?

OK, but if British Gas are willing to offer a yearly Homecare cover plan without an annual service that doesn’t make much sense.
Toptrumpet13/10/2019 15:36

OK, but if British Gas are willing to offer a yearly Homecare cover plan …OK, but if British Gas are willing to offer a yearly Homecare cover plan without an annual service that doesn’t make much sense.

As long as the service is done by a Gas Safe engineer its fine (doesn't have to be BG or Homeserve) .
Toptrumpet13/10/2019 15:19

Why do you need to service a boiler annually? If it’s more or less new and …Why do you need to service a boiler annually? If it’s more or less new and working as it should, I can’t see a reason to pay out unnecessarily for a service. If it was in rented accomodation that might be a different matter, but not your own residential dwelling.

As has been said below. If anything goes wrong then they won't look at it unless it has been serviced annually. The service manual has to be stamped, dated and a printout attached of the 'readings'.

Edit: The £2.50 a month quoted above includes a £99 excess. An annual service would be less than this.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 13th Oct
7 years of installed and serviced by Worcester approved
JimboParrot13/10/2019 15:14

No mention of having an annual service in the t&c unless I missed it.
Edited by: "rimalpatel007" 13th Oct
rimalpatel00713/10/2019 17:23

No mention of having an annual service in the t&c unless I missed it.

Manf will wriggle our of warranty claims If device hasn’t been done and recorded by a gassafe operative
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants