Groups

Boiler cover, who would you recommend?

Need to arrange a monthly cover for my home boiler. This is the first time I'm doing this since my free warranty has exprired.

I'm thinking of going with British Gas as they come to mind at first, would anyone recommend their service and who else are as good?

25 Comments

Homeserve are great and you can get £50 quidco cashback too

I'd recommend it, my mum's an oap and has had it for a couple of years now and used it a few times, just last week in fact, normally same day appointment or in a couple days. Depending on the level of cover beware of the excess of £50 on each repair, we decided for my mum's sake to pay for the greater cover to cover this excess charge and cover rads.

my brother is with British gas boiler cover . his boiler went the other day so he called them out and all done and dusted the next day. he likes them and he a fussy bloke.

Banned

swinton home emergency cover from £9.99 or so including boiler, electric fault, plumbing, roof leaks etc etc

sofiasar

swinton home emergency cover from £9.99 or so including boiler, electric … swinton home emergency cover from £9.99 or so including boiler, electric fault, plumbing, roof leaks etc etc

9.99 a year is great!!
    Edited by: "tomdavidrichards" 22nd Jan

check if included with your home insurance.

Put the £10-20 a month in a jar or separate bank account. Before you know it you'll have a tidy sum in case things go wrong. If necessary, use a credit card in the event, then pay it down with the payments.

Vacuum the dirt/dust from around the boiler at regular intervals, preferably, in the summer i.e. when its not in use. 9/10 it's the thermocouple that fails - not that expensive to replace. Boiler insurance is just not worth it.

thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml
    Edited by: "tightar5e" 22nd Jan

homeserve is £60 a year with a boiler service included but a £95 excess, also get £5 via topcashback or quidco. depends why you want it, if you want peace of mind then this is a good deal, probably cheaper to get a local heating engineer to carry out repair though with a £95 excess.

tightar5e

Put the £10-20 a month in a jar or separate bank account. Before you know … Put the £10-20 a month in a jar or separate bank account. Before you know it you'll have a tidy sum in case things go wrong. If necessary, use a credit card in the event, then pay it down with the payments. Vacuum the dirt/dust from around the boiler at regular intervals, preferably, in the summer i.e. when its not in use. 9/10 it's the thermocouple that fails - not that expensive to replace. Boiler insurance is just not worth it. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3391726/It-costs-1BN-year-paying-good-plumber-cheaper-DON-T-need-expensive-boiler-insurance.html

​+1
    on a few boilers nowadays you get a good few years parts and labour,

tightar5e

Put the £10-20 a month in a jar or separate bank account. Before you know … Put the £10-20 a month in a jar or separate bank account. Before you know it you'll have a tidy sum in case things go wrong. If necessary, use a credit card in the event, then pay it down with the payments. Vacuum the dirt/dust from around the boiler at regular intervals, preferably, in the summer i.e. when its not in use. 9/10 it's the thermocouple that fails - not that expensive to replace. Boiler insurance is just not worth it. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3391726/It-costs-1BN-year-paying-good-plumber-cheaper-DON-T-need-expensive-boiler-insurance.html

​exactly what I was thinking.

matthews9479

​exactly what I was thinking.

​how old is the boiler if it's only a few years old I think this is a good way I do this well I don't put any money aside but if the boiler breaks down I get it fixed instead and I haven't had a boiler serviced either apart from the 2 free services which came with the boiler but they don't exactly do much seems the service does more harm than good they just open the boiler look inside out it on full whack take a few pressure readings etc and then put the thing back together they are supposed to add a few new bits and bobs but they never did and that was from Worcester Bosch approved guys so I don't bother anymore with a service either

muddassarsardar

​how old is the boiler if it's only a few years old I think this is a g … ​how old is the boiler if it's only a few years old I think this is a good way I do this well I don't put any money aside but if the boiler breaks down I get it fixed instead and I haven't had a boiler serviced either apart from the 2 free services which came with the boiler but they don't exactly do much seems the service does more harm than good they just open the boiler look inside out it on full whack take a few pressure readings etc and then put the thing back together they are supposed to add a few new bits and bobs but they never did and that was from Worcester Bosch approved guys so I don't bother anymore with a service either

​they should be cleaning the heat exchanger as part of the annual service.

British gas gets my vote. Reliable service.

matthews9479

​they should be cleaning the heat exchanger as part of the annual s … ​they should be cleaning the heat exchanger as part of the annual service.

​with a vacuum cleaner I think I can do that myself if needs be but I don't think its a must

Original Poster

Forgot to add this for one of my property on let, are these prices applicable for me? Looked on British Gas website and cannot see if it's for private or landlord cover.

If it's a new boiler just put the money you would spend into an account. Our last boiler last 25 years and for 15 years we had cover on it and never claimed although it did get a service. I worked for Homeserve would touch them with your money. British Gas all the way.

homeserve are not great, never turn up and make any excuse not to repair

Your free Homeserve cover may have expired (you get that free with a BG installation ), but your boiler warranty will not have (its usually 5-7 years ) . Check your boiler paperwork and you should find that you have 5 -7 years warranty provided you get it serviced annually .

Of course the boiler warranty only covers the boiler not your radiators ,thermostats etc , but Homeserve is a rip off ,especially when the expensive part (the boiler ) probably has another 6 years of manufacturers warranty left on it .
    Edited by: "rogparki" 22nd Jan

longtwo2

Homeserve are great and you can get £50 quidco cashback too

didnt pay my cashback,rip off merchants

rimalpatel007

Forgot to add this for one of my property on let, are these prices … Forgot to add this for one of my property on let, are these prices applicable for me? Looked on British Gas website and cannot see if it's for private or landlord cover.

British gas is good for landlord cover. I found a lot of others wont cover landlord. British gas charges same for landlord as private except they can provide gas safety certificate in addition for a small charge.

Only slight problem with british gas as a landlord would be that their appointments span 6 hours so you may have to hang around for a long time waiting for them to come on the day.

As its a to let house dont touch anything yourself,sounds easy just hoover the exchanger but if anything goes wrong you could be in serious trouble.Ask your friends who services there boilers and get them,you will probably find that the monthly cost over the year is more than what you could get a service done for.And just use the rental money to pay to have it fixed IF it breaks down.You must get it serviced each year as your a landlord and possibly if the tenant only stays for six months then serviced before the new tenant moves in ( not 100% sure ).As for appointment times and this can apply to anyone coming to a house if you work close by and ask the company to get the workers coming to phone ahead half hour / one hour before arrivall you can go back home to be in when they arrive.There happy because your in and your happy because you havent wasted hours waiting in.

sofiasar

swinton home emergency cover from £9.99 or so including boiler, electric … swinton home emergency cover from £9.99 or so including boiler, electric fault, plumbing, roof leaks etc etc

I just looked into it - you have to have Home Insurance with them to get this cover

"Home Emergency Cover is available as an additional cover option with our Classic and Premier home insurance options and cannot be purchased as a stand-alone policy."

British gas all day long don't use corgi however cheap

Banned

tomdavidrichards

9.99 a year is great!!

​someone needs to visit specsavers!!!
    I didn't state a year did I!!!

Banned

Gollywood

I just looked into it - you have to have Home Insurance with them to get … I just looked into it - you have to have Home Insurance with them to get this cover"Home Emergency Cover is available as an additional cover option with our Classic and Premier home insurance options and cannot be purchased as a stand-alone policy."

​really? that's something new then.
    my family have had this for the last 5 years and still going on. must have changed tcs
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927368
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2344
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047133
      4. Spotify Family Premium share718

See more discussions