Groups

boiler help

my sister has one of those old style boilers (the ones that have to switched on to heat water ie before a bath)

her's is never switched off, as she has no central heating

but does anyone no if its never switched off does it use a lot of electricity

can these boilers not be switched off and then switched before she has a bath etc

does anyone no if these types of boilers are switched off,can you still use the hot water stored in the tank or will that go cold after the the boiler is switched off

14 Comments

Banned

Are you talking about an imersion heater? ie heating by an electric element in a hot water cylinder?

if it is, then yes, they should be switched off. Or more to the point, they should be used on a timer switch. My parents still use one of these in their house to heat water. Its only on for a couple of hours in the morning and evening. Obviously continually heating, will burn lots of leccy!

If it is an imersion heater your talking about then it will probably have a thermostat in its housing set @ 60 degrees. If no stat is fitted then you run the risk of scalding yourself and overheating the cold feed tank in the loft causing it to fail dumping boiling hot water through the ceiling of the house and possibly over yourself if your in bed, get it checked out.

Original Poster

dont 100% think its a imersion heater as it dont have no sort of timer just a on or off switch, not sure if the pics below help at all
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/bobthegeezer/DSC00647.jpg
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/bobthegeezer/DSC00648.jpg

Original Poster

the above is how it installed, she lives in a one level flat so its on the same level as her bathroom etc, and its the metal tank above the lower blue tank/heater

Banned

I'm not a plummer - but that definately looks like its an imersion heater! In the top, the heating eliment is fitted. And as Broxy has said above, it should have a thermostate fitted (else it will be costing you an absolute fortune to use, as well as the risks from burning suggested.) That should be a visible strap that goes around the cylinder.

However - as I said, I'm not a plummer!

BTW - did you lose the game again today at important stages? I missed both goals (though not too unhappy about that!) And lost everything for an hour or so from about 4.30. Was yours fine - or just on mine once again?

Banned

Just read what you added!

OK - I can see the switch...... The cable appears to run to the top of the cylinder as I'd said. (To a stubby round element near the top) Whats needed is for a timer switch to be added into that curcuit. (Plus a thermostate if one isnt already fitted. Cant realy tell from the picture - but it will be a strap that goes around the cylinder with a temperature dial you set.)

The tank above is just the cold water tank.

I would think a theromstat is already fitted as the cylinder is quite modern but a timer would be an advantage.

Original Poster

had some freezing m8 @ the start and then a bit @ the end but other then that all was fine, but sky italia always seems to do it and i was told its down to the fact the cards should really be in a sky italia box, cheers for the help both of you will take a look @ the top of her boiler, does anyone no if she rents private if she can force her landlord to do what you mentioned

Banned

Dub1;3881076

had some freezing m8 @ the start and then a bit @ the end but other then … had some freezing m8 @ the start and then a bit @ the end but other then that all was fine, but sky italia always seems to do it and i was told its down to the fact the cards should really be in a sky italia box,

Did you watch anything from about 4.30? I couldnt get a thing working!!!

cheers for the help both of you will take a look @ the top of her boiler, … cheers for the help both of you will take a look @ the top of her boiler, does anyone no if she rents private if she can force her landlord to do what you mentioned

Probably one for citizens advice! I know that landlords are being screwed for energy efficiency. Maybe this would be covered?

Original Poster

yea had it working for the full game, shame on 36 east i could find the sport channel needed

Banned

Dub1;3881185

yea had it working for the full game, shame on 36 east i could find the … yea had it working for the full game, shame on 36 east i could find the sport channel needed

Are you talking about G+ ? Says its on 36 and 7E (I looked and couldnt see it listed and moved on!)

You up for me bring the box over one day / evening?

Original Poster

yea sure m8, do me a favour pm me a list of channels you cannot get working @ all or constantly mess up or better still add me to msn and let me see if the same happens to me

Dub1;3880917

the above is how it installed, she lives in a one level flat so its on … the above is how it installed, she lives in a one level flat so its on the same level as her bathroom etc, and its the metal tank above the lower blue tank/heater

Plumber Here :thumbsup:

The immersion heater in the tank has a built in thermostat that is usually set between 60-90c

The thermostat will cut off the electricity to the element when the water has reached the desired temperature. So heating up from cold will require a lot of electricity, then once it is heated it will switch on periodically when the temperature falls.

I would advise switching it off as much as they can in the mean time. They should get a timer fitted to allow it to be more efficiently controlled.

timeguard.com/pro…ers

Banned

Dub1;3881244

yea sure m8, do me a favour pm me a list of channels you cannot get … yea sure m8, do me a favour pm me a list of channels you cannot get working @ all or constantly mess up or better still add me to msn and let me see if the same happens to me

The list is easy! (Most of em!) Nova seems to be the best of the lot! There are definately better times than others. eg 2am and even the unspeakable ones seem fine.

I'll whack you on MSN.

Edit..... Oops - you had better do that.... dont have your MSN!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any PS4 News Here29213618
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17406140
      3. Sad news about Barcelona24111
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764166

See more discussions