Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Boiler help and advice

Posted 6th Dec 2019
Are there any heating/boiler experts

So, on the boiler there is a pressure gauge.
It says it should be between 1 to 2.5

What does that mean? At what STAGE?

I have my water and heating on schedules
When the schedule is off the gauge is at 1.6

When the schedule is ON (water or/and heating) the gauge is almost 4 or over 4

Is this normal? Is the pressure gauge supposed to be when it's off or on?

If no, how would I lower it?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
*looks at OP's username*....

...is this a joke...?
24 Comments
Pressure gauge usually indicates system water pressure and if marked the "working range" would normally apply to ambient state (CH not called) and rise when CH called.
*looks at OP's username*....

...is this a joke...?
MadeDixonsCry06/12/2019 17:30

*looks at OP's username*.......is this a joke...?

Lol it's funny but no. Seriously I'm worried about the pressure.
You need to take a peek at your boiler instructions. The User guide or Installer guide, both of which will be searchable online

At a guess. You have a system with no tanks in the loft? If so, what you see is the pressure in the system. Following the laws of physics (one of Boyle's laws if I remember right), the water will expand as heat is applied and hence pressure rises in a closed loop system. You will have an expansion tank to cope with this. It maybe inside the boiler if its a small system or external if large (10+ double rads). If its external, its usually red for CH loops. About 12" round and maybe 12-18" high.

Pressure on a Worcester Bosch would normally be 1 when cool and rise to maybe 1.5. If the boiler pressure varies a lot as it heats up, as yours does, it is possible the expansion tank diaphragm is damaged and the tank needs replacing. This happened to me a year ago and I replaced it. Job done.

Local engineer quoted nigh on £300. The tank cost me £75 form direct heating supplies and some bloodied knuckles where the spanner would not easily fir in the space that is shared with sharp metal edges.
Edited by: "ccnp" 6th Dec 2019
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 17:21

Pressure gauge usually indicates system water pressure and if marked the …Pressure gauge usually indicates system water pressure and if marked the "working range" would normally apply to ambient state (CH not called) and rise when CH called.

So currently the heating and water are both on and it's over 4?

Would you like a picture?
Thank you
MarioMan06/12/2019 17:33

So currently the heating and water are both on and it's over 4?Would you …So currently the heating and water are both on and it's over 4?Would you like a picture? Thank you

Answer his questions please.
Can you confirm if you have tanks in the loft?
If not, do you know if you have expansion tanks anywhere? It maybe inside the boiler if its a small system or external if large (10+ double rads). If its external, its usually red for CH loops. About 12" round and maybe 12-18" high.

What's the model number?
ccnp06/12/2019 17:32

You need to take a peek at your boiler instructions. The User guide or …You need to take a peek at your boiler instructions. The User guide or Installer guide, both of which will be searchable onlineAt a guess. You have a system with no tanks in the loft? If so, what you see is the pressure in the system. Following the laws of physics (one of Boyle's laws if I remember right), the water will expand as heat is applied and hence pressure rises in a closed loop system. You will have an expansion tank to cope with this. It maybe inside the boiler if its a small system or external if large (10+ double rads). If its external, its usually red for CH loops. About 12" round and maybe 12-18" high.Pressure on a Worcester Bosch would normally be 1 when cool and rise to maybe 1.5. If the boiler pressure varies a lot as it heats up, as yours does, it is possible the expansion tank diaphragm is damaged and the tank needs replacing. This happened to me a year ago and I replaced it. Job done.Local engineer quoted nigh on £300. The tank cost me £75 form direct heating supplies and some bloodied knuckles where the spanner would not easily fir in the space that is shared with sharp metal edges.

Thank you but no it's a boiler downstairs. I'm trying to search online.

(We moved here recently, so hence the trouble and uncertainty)
Edited by: "MarioMan" 6th Dec 2019
MadeDixonsCry06/12/2019 17:36

Answer his questions please.Can you confirm if you have tanks in the …Answer his questions please.Can you confirm if you have tanks in the loft?If not, do you know if you have expansion tanks anywhere? It maybe inside the boiler if its a small system or external if large (10+ double rads). If its external, its usually red for CH loops. About 12" round and maybe 12-18" high.What's the model number?

Main System 28 HE

Thank you so much!!!
MarioMan06/12/2019 17:40

Main System 28 HEThank you so much!!!

How many radiators does it control?
MadeDixonsCry06/12/2019 17:42

How many radiators does it control?

Alot.

9 in total and plus 2 more in the toilet (silver bar ones)
Edited by: "MarioMan" 6th Dec 2019
Sounds like your expansion vessel that is inside your boiler needs recharging or replacing , the expansion vessel takes up the expansion from the water when it gets heated and if it is faulty the pressure in the system will rise as the expansion of hot water has no where to go
When was it last serviced?
IamMT06/12/2019 19:38

When was it last serviced?

Don’t know Recently moved in
MarioMan06/12/2019 19:48

Don’t know Recently moved in

Do you own the property or rent?

Either way get it serviced before it stops completely.
Edited by: "IamMT" 6th Dec 2019
MarioMan06/12/2019 17:33

So currently the heating and water are both on and it's over 4? Would you …So currently the heating and water are both on and it's over 4? Would you like a picture? Thank you

MarioMan06/12/2019 17:40

Main System 28 HE

No pic reqd thanks. A genuine system water pressure indication of 4 bar (excluding gauge fault) indicates an issue, based on your bolier's service manual that states:
Central Heating Primary Circuit Pressures (bar)
Safety Discharge 3
Max Operating 2.5
Min Operating 0.5
Recommend Operating 1-2
Note the first item in that list. If you are not a confident DIY person for non-gas-safe-cert procedures, seek pro advice. Apologies if that doesn't tick your box of easy self-fix.
PDF manual quoting the sys pressure on page 10 at: mainheating.co.uk/-/m…pdf
IamMT06/12/2019 19:49

Do you own the property or rent? Either way get it serviced before it …Do you own the property or rent? Either way get it serviced before it stops completely.

If rented you would reasonably expect the new tenant to be presented with a copy of the current annual Landlord's Gas Safety Cert, which many peeps misinterpret as a service.
IamMT06/12/2019 19:49

Do you own the property or rent?Either way get it serviced before it stops …Do you own the property or rent?Either way get it serviced before it stops completely.

Own
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 20:01

No pic reqd thanks. A genuine system water pressure indication of 4 bar …No pic reqd thanks. A genuine system water pressure indication of 4 bar (excluding gauge fault) indicates an issue, based on your bolier's service manual that states:Central Heating Primary Circuit Pressures (bar)Safety Discharge 3 Max Operating 2.5Min Operating 0.5Recommend Operating 1-2 Note the first item in that list. If you are not a confident DIY person for non-gas-safe-cert procedures, seek pro advice. Apologies if that doesn't tick your box of easy self-fix.PDF manual quoting the sys pressure on page 10 at: https://www.mainheating.co.uk/-/media/websites/mainheating/files/discontinued/5121186-02_main_system_he_installation_and_servicing_guide.pdf

Thank you so much! Have a great evening and great weekend. I'll try calling the number tomorrow
MarioMan06/12/2019 20:22

Own

I'm surprised your solicitor didn't ask for a copy of the service as part of his conveyancing.
IamMT06/12/2019 20:36

I'm surprised your solicitor didn't ask for a copy of the service as part …I'm surprised your solicitor didn't ask for a copy of the service as part of his conveyancing.

Probably got a "sold as seen" response. Not compulsory to have one when you own a property.
MadeDixonsCry06/12/2019 20:41

Probably got a "sold as seen" response. Not compulsory to have one when …Probably got a "sold as seen" response. Not compulsory to have one when you own a property.

I know it's not compulsory, but a good solicitor would have advised the buyer to request that it is serviced prior to completion. Too many people scrimp on conveyancing costs and end up with issues that cost more than they saved.
Edited by: "IamMT" 6th Dec 2019
MarioMan06/12/2019 20:25

Thank you so much! Have a great evening and great weekend. I'll try …Thank you so much! Have a great evening and great weekend. I'll try calling the number tomorrow

Not sure what "the number" is to which you refer but a call to your local heating co will probably be more fruitful than any contact with implied manufacturer / distributor, especially on a weekend.
IamMT06/12/2019 20:43

I know it's not compulsory, but a good solicitor would have advised the …I know it's not compulsory, but a good solicitor would have advised the buyer to request that it is serviced prior to completion. Too many people scrimp on conveyancing costs and end up with issues that cost more than they saved.

Yes but what if the response is "sold as seen, take it or leave it"
MadeDixonsCry06/12/2019 20:47

Yes but what if the response is "sold as seen, take it or leave it"

Always be prepared to walk away.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants