Groups

boiler install 10 yr manufacturers warranty

I got a couple of quotes for a combi boiler install....one quote is for 1900 including cost of boiler and all the extras such as magna filter etc and labour

Another quote is 3000 for the same. The existing boiler already ripped out and they both said it a straight forward combi boiler install as the pipe fittings in place are for combi boiler.

They both said 10 year manufacturers warranty with boiler.......can someone advise what a reasonable price is for this job for labour alone?

Property is 2 bedroom detatched with one bathroom lounge n kitchen.

There is such a big price difference.....it could be due to the type of boiler....i just looked on line and some bosch boilers are just over 1k while others are over 2k.

18 Comments

we paid £300 for installation and bought our boiler and Magna ourselves

Original Poster

you_gotta_be_kidding

we paid £300 for installation and bought our boiler and Magna ourselves

How long did the install take? Was it a one day job?

For a 2 bed house, at £1900 it still sounds quite high-unless a very high spec and output boiler. 10 year warranty is good, but most boilers can be extended at small cost anyway. A typical Worcester-Bosch can be fitted for £1500 upwards-but double that price if British Gas does it, so thats why or why you can get such differences in price. Install alone costs can vary though depending if its a 1 for 1 change, or a complete from scratch install that requires piping for water and/or gas-or if water tanks etc are needing re/moving etc. Last two 1 for 1's i had done needed 2 guys for a day.

Edited by: "Rich069" 14th May

paid 1500 to a local plumber 18 months ago boiler came with a 7 year warranty. Others wanted over 2k and British gas quoted 3.2k for a similar boiler with a 3 year warranty and couldn't decide if they wanted to erect scaffolding or not.

Original Poster

Rich069

For a 2 bed house, at £1900 it still sounds quite high-unless a very high … For a 2 bed house, at £1900 it still sounds quite high-unless a very high spec and output boiler. 10 year warranty is good, but most boilers can be extended at small cost anyway. A typical Worcester-Bosch can be fitted for £1500 upwards-but double that price if British Gas does it, so thats why or why you can get such differences in price.

I didnt go near british gas....these quotes are from local guys that family and friends have used in the past. Can you recommend what kind of output required for 2 bed 1 bathroom detatched property....in scotland (we have heat on everyday apart from a couple of months over the summer as it always cold)

about 10 years ago we had an extension which involved moving the existing boiler. it took one man 4 hours and the new location was in a cramped airing cupboard. he didn't seem to be hurrying, just efficient and didn't stop. maybe as a stand alone job they aren't quite so determined?

ran123ran

I didnt go near british gas....these quotes are from local guys that … I didnt go near british gas....these quotes are from local guys that family and friends have used in the past. Can you recommend what kind of output required for 2 bed 1 bathroom detatched property....in scotland (we have heat on everyday apart from a couple of months over the summer as it always cold)

​Ours is a 30 KW in a 4 bed large detached house. Its suffice for ours and only struggles if the bath is running and someone wants a shower at the same time-but this could be general water pressure issue as opposed to the boiler output struggling-im sure a plumber will confirm this. My boiler installer told me a high(er) output wasnt needed, considering the additional cost. No regrets on mine (Glow-worm) which was fitted for £1600 with a 7 year warranty. Was recomended to go for Valliant or the Ideal Vogue range, but they were a bit more expensive

Original Poster

To maintain the warranty i read the boiler requires annual service......i thought the warranty was given regardless of service as long as its installed to guidelines.

All depends on what you have at the minute. Reasonable labour for straight swap high efficiency combi in the Midlands is £5-600 whereas if you have an older style cylinder set up then labour can be around £8-900.

Boilers can range from £400-£1800 so this is most likely the cause of any disparity in quotes even given matching warranties. Also check for any powerflush included as this can add £3-400.

ran123ran

To maintain the warranty i read the boiler requires annual service......i … To maintain the warranty i read the boiler requires annual service......i thought the warranty was given regardless of service as long as its installed to guidelines.

​No, most manufacturers state an annual service to maintain warranty. A few will try and wriggle out of expensive warranty fixes

ran123ran

To maintain the warranty i read the boiler requires annual service......i … To maintain the warranty i read the boiler requires annual service......i thought the warranty was given regardless of service as long as its installed to guidelines.

​I was under the impression it needed annual servicing-my guy does it for £60, and gives you certificate/paperwork etc.

Always compare to a car. Servicing is always a good idea as long as it's done by the book and not just the analyser thrown in.

ran123ran

boiler needs to be services annually for the warranty. 10 years is very good, my boilers only get 5 years warranty. i have a two bedroom house and 24kw combi is more than adequate. i paid £1900 for the install, which includes taking away the old one. that is in central london.
    Edited by: "mutley1" 14th May

Whoever you decide to use, make sure they give you a gas Safe certificate and register you in the database. if you ever come to sell your house, the potential buyers will need that certificate. this is a new regulation since 2004/2005.

Had a boiler fitted last weekend in London by a company called BOXT. They are nationwide, their pricing was excellent and the heating engineer did a fantastic job. Highly recommend going online and get a quote from them.

it may be worth asking british gas to quote if you take their homecare agreement. i had a discount from them for being a homecare customer when i needed a boiler replaced, which worked out to be cheaper than the other quotes i got.

mutley1

it may be worth asking british gas to quote if you take their homecare … it may be worth asking british gas to quote if you take their homecare agreement. i had a discount from them for being a homecare customer when i needed a boiler replaced, which worked out to be cheaper than the other quotes i got.

Wow, the non-BG quote providers must have been having a larf !

AndyRoyd

Wow, the non-BG quote providers must have been having a larf !

the discount was significant from british gas for being a home care customer. it was £700. i did not think that it was worthwhile asking them for a quote but i was pleasantly surprised to see the final figures. their costs may have come down a lot in recent years to be more competitive.

i got a quote from them many years ago and they were double that of others but this time, even without the discount, they were not as excessive.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3944
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313

See more discussions