Groups

Boiler installation

Just had BG out for the third time this year, it looks like I need a new boiler. At present I have a combi.
    Anyone had a boiler fitted recently and,
    -happy to give me a rough idea of cost of installation?
    -Is it sensible/necessary to have a power flush?
    thankyou.

18 Comments

shouldnt be necessary for a powerflush, and install if it's like for like will be between £1200-£1500

Original Poster

Thanks PP,apart from presmably the selling aspect of a power flush-what does it exactly do?

Anything I should be aware of or avoid when looking for a new installation?

Basically a power flush involves is a machine that has cleaning chemicals in which is pumped into the system and run through the circuit a radiator at a time until the water comes through clear. It's a pricey service as it's very time consuming (if done properly). If you are worried for the condition you can put a system restorer (sludge remover) and run the existing system for up to 4 weeks and then flush it out. It's not as good as a power flush but most systems aren't so clogged to require one anyway.

Things to look out for are basically the make of the combi and it's kw output/water flow rate. Worcester are my choice of install, but Valiant are great as well, Ferroli have 5 year warranties so don't discount them and theirs are excellent too.
    Edited by: "pinkleponkle" 21st Jan 2011

Banned

Depends how old your radiators are to whether you need the power flush, it will make your heating more efficient. Can do it yourself for £30 or just ask them to do the cheap version.

We had a new boiler fitted in March last year and paid £2100, this was a mid range quote from a local firm, British Gas wanted to charge £3700!!! We don't have a combi boiler and this was a like for like installation with a very small amount of pipework, they power flushed as some of our radiators have been in for 30yrs and they do get a lot hotter now than they used to, they also fitted a Magnox to prevent further sludge building up.

Banned

tangoed66

We had a new boiler fitted in March last year and paid £2100, this was a … We had a new boiler fitted in March last year and paid £2100, this was a mid range quote from a local firm, British Gas wanted to charge £3700!!! We don't have a combi boiler and this was a like for like installation with a very small amount of pipework, they power flushed as some of our radiators have been in for 30yrs and they do get a lot hotter now than they used to, they also fitted a Magnox to prevent further sludge building up.

£2100 for a new boiler? Christ.

When I had my boiler installed they just flushed the rads with water from a tap and by the time they were done the water flowing out was clear. Powerflush would shift more but not sure it's 100% needed. Maybe on an old system it might be needed.

Friend at work had an estimate for a boiler and rads etc being fitted with the thermostatic valves (doubt you need them they should be on already) and it was about £1800. Eon and British Gas will charge you extortionate prices. Annoys me that they prey on people that trust the company so they can set whatever price they want to charge.

Original Poster

Thankyou for your comments so far, this is now beginning to give me an estimate of what I shall be looking at.OUCH!!

flushing with water from the tap will do next to nothing as the muck sits on the bottom of the radiators and the water would just float over the top of it maybe lifting the skin off. KT21 if you find a decent fitter it shouldn't cost the earth. By the sound of it tangoed go tangoed badly with a nice £1000 profit for the installer. £1500 quote should be easy to get, anything under is possible but watch out for boiler make and model and you can get a crap combi for £500 but a good one will set you back £900 or so.

I am assuming you have a normal sized house.

Original Poster

Am in an average sized 3 bed house. The radiators were changed 2-3 yrs ago and all have trv's on.

Strangely, British Gas have started to give "fairly" competitive quotes now, the days of £3-£4k quotes have vanished. My parents were recently quoted £2170 for a replacement combi-boiler. It was a British Gas branded boiler which he claimed was a re-branded Worcester Bosch Greenstar Junior 28i. Had the work done by a local guy who charged £1490 for the Worcester Bosch unit and fitting.

CyDoNiA

When I had my boiler installed they just flushed the rads with water from … When I had my boiler installed they just flushed the rads with water from a tap and by the time they were done the water flowing out was clear. Powerflush would shift more but not sure it's 100% needed. Maybe on an old system it might be needed.Friend at work had an estimate for a boiler and rads etc being fitted with the thermostatic valves (doubt you need them they should be on already) and it was about £1800. Eon and British Gas will charge you extortionate prices. Annoys me that they prey on people that trust the company so they can set whatever price they want to charge.

Water won't shift all the sludge mate.

Worcester Bosch and Vaillant are both quite good. Have a Vaillant installed myself. Worcester Bosch are dearer but better quality. Power flush probably not needed if radiators only 3 years old as long as an inhibitor was used, however power flush would be recommended anyway.
    Choose a good installer (not necessarily the cheapest). I'd expect about £2000 would be reasonable depending on ease of installation/pipework etc.

Therapist £2000 would not be reasonable at all for a straight swap combi, and vailiant/worcester are comparable is price. If I could charge £2000 a boiler change I would be rolling in dosh. Oh and I have never had to do a power flush ever either, it's a scam to inflate the costs.
    Edited by: "pinkleponkle" 21st Jan 2011

Benchmark, the logbook that comes with the boiler would say a powerflush would be required when the boiler was installed.
    This would then validate the warranty of the boiler. Benchmark logbook should be completed when fitter has finished install and handed to householder.
    Hope that helps.

The Therapist

Worcester Bosch and Vaillant are both quite good. Have a Vaillant … Worcester Bosch and Vaillant are both quite good. Have a Vaillant installed myself. Worcester Bosch are dearer but better quality. Power flush probably not needed if radiators only 3 years old as long as an inhibitor was used, however power flush would be recommended anyway.Choose a good installer (not necessarily the cheapest). I'd expect about £2000 would be reasonable depending on ease of installation/pipework etc.

Ours was a Worcester Bosch and needed a powerflush for the warranty which by the way is 5 years standard (we got 6 yrs as used the scrappage scheme) we have no complaints it works brill and we had excellent service from the installer, oh and forgot to mention there was also a very large new radiator included in that price.

All in all we are very happy!:D

Had a new one in just before Christmas. Vaillant something or other, including a remote thermostat and powerflush, and a new radiator. £1800.

Yay, we now have heat

Original Poster

Thankyou everyone for your replies, they have been really helpful. I have just had my first quote which seems way more than Babbaboey for the amount of work involved and no new radiator!, 2 more qotes to go!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1630
      2. Anyone else used www.completesavings.co.uk11
      3. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.1113
      4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48210862

See more discussions