Boiler insurance.

Just had a renewal notice from well known insurance firm mentioning no names ( D&G ) for boiler cover £300 this year - now is it me or is that a rip off?! Any recommendations from others?

Thanks peeps

14 Comments

12 Months HomeServe Cover 8 + Boiler Service £120 + £65 Cash Back TCB

Factor in renewal cost and any excess if needed repairs and think of putting same money to one side for a new boiler instead some home insurers give A home emergency scheme for an extra small fee, would try and save £25 pcm for new boiler
Edited by: "Saving_cashh" 1st Mar

Are you sure you need it ? Chances are if the boiler is under 7 years old it's still under the manufacturers warranty - Certainly is if its a Vaillant .

Original Poster

rogparki

Are you sure you need it ? Chances are if the boiler is under 7 years old … Are you sure you need it ? Chances are if the boiler is under 7 years old it's still under the manufacturers warranty - Certainly is if its a Vaillant .

Yea mines a baxi potterton it's around 15 years old' funny thing is it's playing up right now' it's losing pressure and making a right racket when it fires up seeing as I'm still covered with D&G until the end of march I'm gonna get them out to it after that I'll be cancelling the policy which is up for renewal at the end of march because I reckon £25 a month is extortionate

Original Poster

nwressell

12 Months HomeServe Cover 8 + Boiler Service £120 + £65 Cash Back TCB

Cheers excess is a bit off putting though' paying monthly only to be hit with a £50 excess when/if theirs a fault isn't that appealing

pennyfarthing88

Yea mines a baxi potterton it's around 15 years old' funny thing is it's … Yea mines a baxi potterton it's around 15 years old' funny thing is it's playing up right now' it's losing pressure and making a right racket when it fires up seeing as I'm still covered with D&G until the end of march I'm gonna get them out to it after that I'll be cancelling the policy which is up for renewal at the end of march because I reckon £25 a month is extortionate

Ours was losing pressure and making a racket too - turns out there was a slow leak in the loft, luckily easily fixable once noticed

Call the gas board, may have nothing to do with the boiler and everything to do with pressure leading into your home from the roadside.

rogparki

Are you sure you need it ? Chances are if the boiler is under 7 years old … Are you sure you need it ? Chances are if the boiler is under 7 years old it's still under the manufacturers warranty - Certainly is if its a Vaillant .

Do all vailant boilers have 7 years warranty. I had a vailant installed in 2014 , through the warm front grant, so didnt pay for it. Will it be under warranty?

check you house insurance, might be cheaper to add home emergency, mines free from Esure

pennyfarthing88

Cheers excess is a bit off putting though' paying monthly only to be hit … Cheers excess is a bit off putting though' paying monthly only to be hit with a £50 excess when/if theirs a fault isn't that appealing

I rang D&G and said I was cancelling, same cover as you, they reduced it to £19 per month.

deanos

check you house insurance, might be cheaper to add home emergency, mines … check you house insurance, might be cheaper to add home emergency, mines free from Esure

Normally they require that the boiler is serviced once a year otherwise it won't be covered in an emergency. So it's probably better to get cover elsewhere that includes a service.

Those potterton's just seem to keep on going. Mine got a bit noisy, had a plumber strip it down, removed the heat exchanger, left it overnight in descaler, put it back together. Noise dropped considerably.

Put £100 a year away to pay for any problems. An whole boiler replacement can be less then £1000 and most repairs are less then £200. Our last boiler lasted 27 years and we only replaced it to save on running costs.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Laser eye surgery33
    2. Selling advice33
    3. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)711
    4. Job Centre sending text to confirm appointment33

See more discussions