Groups

boiler noise - is it dangerous

Hi, i have an quite old combi boiler in the kitchen the last few hours there is very loud rattling noise maybe coming from the pipes keeps happening ill get it looked at tommorow just want to know if its safe for today.Anybody in the know please.Thanks

32 Comments

Have you checked to see if it needs water, all the ones i've had have to be topped up.

this happened to us last week it was the fan,it was safe to use though the man just bent the fan blades

what make of boiler is it? is it gas or oil?

Could be a number of things, water pump, fan, pressure relief valve releasing excess pressure from the boiler.

Is it a presurised system?

I know if gas boiler you should get it inspected safety check once a yr.
    If you rent property,the landlord,council or housing ass it is their responsibiility to send Corgi approved worker to check.

Original Poster

its a glow worm 25-30 really old i got the kids here you see read something about explosions after rattling on net parranoid now

Sounds like an airlock, do you have the heating on or is it just for hot water at min? If just for hot water is it only occuring when you run the water or the time immediately after running hot water? If the answer to the last question is yes then it is definitely an air lock and simply needs bleeding. While you are at it bleed the rads too and fill up the boiler again so there is enough pressure in the system.

pughy2000;2127347

its a glow worm 25-30 really old i got the kids here you see read … its a glow worm 25-30 really old i got the kids here you see read something about explosions after rattling on net parranoid now

Jeez that needs replacing asap! Replacing it with a new one will pay for itself in 2-3 years due to it being a heck of a lot more efficient!

If you are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits you may be eligible for a warm front grant of up to £2700 see ]HERE for more details.

Original Poster

thats for your advice harl i havent got the heating on at the moment i turned the main gas lever off now and the boiler but a funny noise has been coming from the the pipe slash sink for a couple weeks maybe that related to it prob need bleeding then mate

harlzter;2127407

Jeez that needs replacing asap! Replacing it with a new one will pay for … Jeez that needs replacing asap! Replacing it with a new one will pay for itself in 2-3 years due to it being a heck of a lot more efficient!If you are on low income or in receipt of certain benefits you may be eligible for a warm front grant of up to £2700 see ]HERE for more details.

be careful when using warmfront they have been on watchdog on more than one occassion due to sky rocketing costs

pughy2000;2127430

thats for your advice harl i havent got the heating on at the moment i … thats for your advice harl i havent got the heating on at the moment i turned the main gas lever off now and the boiler but a funny noise has been coming from the the pipe slash sink for a couple weeks maybe that related to it prob need bleeding then mate

dont thank me, thank my next door neighbour who's a corgi registerd installer, he happened to be out so I asked him!!! He says your boiler desperately needs replacing, he reckons the grants are available for upgrading anything 15 years and older!

Original Poster

well tell him thanks a lot as well then for his advice its my own house though i wonder if would still get a grant ill have to look into thanks again

Banned

pughy2000;2127511

well tell him thanks a lot as well then for his advice its my own house … well tell him thanks a lot as well then for his advice its my own house though i wonder if would still get a grant ill have to look into thanks again

yes you will, if you are on qualifying benefits, im having a new boiler fitted tuesday

pughy2000;2127511

well tell him thanks a lot as well then for his advice its my own house … well tell him thanks a lot as well then for his advice its my own house though i wonder if would still get a grant ill have to look into thanks again

See my link in post 11 or here >>> government-grants.co.uk/gas…tml

Original Poster

i was working for 15 years but but company went insolvent i have been out of work couple months start back tommorow so just my luck i wont qualify,thanks harl ill check the link now

Original Poster

damn on jobseekers now but i suppose it wont count after tommorow

Banned

pughy2000;2127927

damn on jobseekers now but i suppose it wont count after tommorow

wont you still be on jobseekers for a month till you get paid?

Original Poster

well its weekly pay so a week i guess depends if it still counts hope it does i bet the boilers are about 3000 ish

Banned

pughy2000;2128175

well its weekly pay so a week i guess depends if it still counts hope it … well its weekly pay so a week i guess depends if it still counts hope it does i bet the boilers are about 3000 ish

i have had to pay £200 towards mine as some of the £2700 grant was used last year for loft insulation, so had i not had that done the grant would have just covered it, total rip off really they know exactly how much the warm front grants are

Original Poster

i have signed up for the loft insulation a few weeks ago figured i may as well get something for nothing for once, so that will be taken off any grant i might get for boiler then i suppose

Banned

pughy2000;2128703

i have signed up for the loft insulation a few weeks ago figured i may as … i have signed up for the loft insulation a few weeks ago figured i may as well get something for nothing for once, so that will be taken off any grant i might get for boiler then i suppose

yeah but mine may be more expensive as its a back boiler downstairs to be replaced by new combi upstairs always worth an ask, and you should never use warmfront for loft insulation as it knocks your grant down and their are other companies that do it for free if you on benefits

Original Poster

i used eon for the loft insulation thats being done end of july i have just sent an online form to warmfront just for boiler so ill see what they say,thanks.

Banned

pughy2000;2128876

i used eon for the loft insulation thats being done end of july i have … i used eon for the loft insulation thats being done end of july i have just sent an online form to warmfront just for boiler so ill see what they say,thanks.

eon is nothing to do with warmfront so will not affect the warmfront grant, good luck:thumbsup:

Banned

sassie;2128286

i have had to pay £200 towards mine as some of the £2700 grant was used l … i have had to pay £200 towards mine as some of the £2700 grant was used last year for loft insulation, so had i not had that done the grant would have just covered it, total rip off really they know exactly how much the warm front grants are

Total rip off? I bet most people on here would love to have a new boiler / loft insulation for £200 funded by the taxpayer. Jeez, some people are never happy! :x

csiman;2130017

Total rip off? I bet most people on here would love to have a new boiler … Total rip off? I bet most people on here would love to have a new boiler / loft insulation for £200 funded by the taxpayer. Jeez, some people are never happy! :x

Without knowing peoples situations and circumstances its a bit harsh to critisize others dont you think? I dont know sassies situation for example but I know people who have been left in financial situations through no fault of their own and would love to be able pay to have a boiler fitted without aid from such as warm front. £200 is a sum what some people just cant afford without having to scrimp and save.

Banned

harlzter;2130411

Without knowing peoples situations and circumstances its a bit harsh to … Without knowing peoples situations and circumstances its a bit harsh to critisize others dont you think? I dont know sassies situation for example but I know people who have been left in financial situations through no fault of their own and would love to be able pay to have a boiler fitted without aid from such as warm front. £200 is a sum what some people just cant afford without having to scrimp and save.

Well I have been unemployed for 14 months now and am not entitled to a bean yet still have to fork out £1800 a year council tax. All because I was stupid enough to put money aside for a rainy day.

It just gets my goat that some people get given everything for doing nothing. Whilst I appreciate some people deserve this through no fault of their own, from my experience of people I know, the vast majority are just pulling a fast one.

If I pop in the pub during weekdays, its full of blokes in their 20's and mothers whos kids are at school. They certainly dont appear to be hard up judging by the amount of beers they tuck away. Same group of about 10-15 people in there EVERY day!

I even have two mates who permanently live on £120 disability payments each week each. They have even lived in Thailand for over 10 years and I only see them every 2-3 years when they have to report back for their medical. Nothing wrong with them at all but their walking sticks magically appear when they have to go to the docs. They tell me their local bar in Chang Mi is full of people on DLA.

I thought the benefit system was in place to temporarily support people in harsh times. Now it just seems a lifestyle choice for many from cradle to grave. The blokes I chat to just say whats the point in working when you can live better on the social. Cant really blame them really although I do moan at them when I see them working for 3-4 days each week on the side.

Rant over :thumbsup:

Banned

csiman i totally understand your grievance, but i wasnt lucky enough to have saved a bean when my ex decided grass was greener, when i decided to have both of my children i was in a relationship and had them to bring them up myself, why should my kids go into childcare because he now supports a new wife and her son, im not going to go into the ins and outs of megs donkey and am very grateful for every bit of help i receive while the little guy still relies on me, i have looked into going back into the workplace and to be honest unless my ex can do half the childcare i cannot afford to go back to work, whilst he has a fulltime job and provides more care to his new family than he does his own then this isnt going to happen anytime soon. I am not ashamed of my situation, although many do try to make me, and hopefully some time soon i will be back paying into the system that has helped me and both my children and one day both of them will be paying back into the system too

pughy2000;2127511

I got the grant and its my own house because Im on working tax credit :thumbsup:

Banned

sassie;2130928

csiman i totally understand your grievance, but i wasnt lucky enough to … csiman i totally understand your grievance, but i wasnt lucky enough to have saved a bean when my ex decided grass was greener, when i decided to have both of my children i was in a relationship and had them to bring them up myself, why should my kids go into childcare because he now supports a new wife and her son, im not going to go into the ins and outs of megs donkey and am very grateful for every bit of help i receive while the little guy still relies on me, i have looked into going back into the workplace and to be honest unless my ex can do half the childcare i cannot afford to go back to work, whilst he has a fulltime job and provides more care to his new family than he does his own then this isnt going to happen anytime soon. I am not ashamed of my situation, although many do try to make me, and hopefully some time soon i will be back paying into the system that has helped me and both my children and one day both of them will be paying back into the system too

Fair enough :thumbsup: It just seemed like you were saying you felt ripped off cos you had to pay £200 towards £3000 for a new boiler and insulation. I guess thats not what you were saying.

Banned

csiman;2130975

Fair enough :thumbsup: It just seemed like you were saying you felt … Fair enough :thumbsup: It just seemed like you were saying you felt ripped off cos you had to pay £200 towards £3000 for a new boiler and insulation. I guess thats not what you were saying.

no, not at all, sorry i should have worded it differently, what i was saying is the companies that are doing the work know exactly what your grant is, as far as i know two men are coming toorrow to fit a new boiler, its a days work and it is £1.800 for labour, no parts just labour which seems to me rather alot but then im not a corgi registered plumber, again sorry if it came across in any other way, as already said i am not ashmed of my position and am extrememly grateful their is help out their that allows me to be a full time mum, sadly as its looking my daughter may be the one who looks after the little guy for me to get an early evening job, and how sad is that

Banned

£1800 for 2 blokes for 1 day! Blimey! That is a complete ripoff. Surely that includes the price of the boiler?

Banned

csiman;2131176

£1800 for 2 blokes for 1 day! Blimey! That is a complete ripoff. Surely … £1800 for 2 blokes for 1 day! Blimey! That is a complete ripoff. Surely that includes the price of the boiler?

nope, warmfront pays company direct for that, this for for labour alone, and people call us the scroungers

Banned

sassie;2131186

nope, warmfront pays company direct for that, this for for labour alone, … nope, warmfront pays company direct for that, this for for labour alone, and people call us the scroungers

no wonder stealth taxes are going through the roof with substantial tax rises needed for next years budget after the recent £2.7BN debacle. Glad I dont pay tax anymore and get interest paid gross.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions