Groups

Boiler not working fully

Before I go disturbing the moths in my wallet, just seeing in anyone might have any suggestions for my boiler issue.

The wall thermostat is on - tried all sorts of different temperatures, the main switch is set to continuous, and the timer is set to default (I never use the timer anyway).

The boiler does come on - but there is no rhyme or reason as to when it comes on - sometimes it stays on for 30 minutes sometimes ten minutes.
    There are no warning lights on the boiler, and it's green when it does come on. There's no unusual noises, although there was a lot of gurgling when I first switched it on.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There doesn't seem to be a lot more I can try.

31 Comments

Banned

Is it a combi or not?

With you saying it's gurgling, are you able to see the water pressure?

Any idea what kind of system you have ?

Does the boiler also heat hot water? is there a thermostat for this hot water - around the tank maybe? Has it been disturbed at all?

Sounds like a combi. Just had my old back boiler replaced with a combi a few weeks ago. Can hear gurgling most times when the heating is on.

If the radiators have thermostatic valve, then the thermostat is more of a glorified on switch.

For example, I turn mine down to 12 degrees so it stays off, but the temperature sometimes drops to 14 degrees in my lounge, so if I set the thermostat to 14 degrees, the heating will come on when it drops to that.

Banned

CaptCShadow

Sounds like a combi

I dont know where you get that from. Could be anything

Before we get to the important bit:
    What type of boiler is it? Make and Model.
    When you say it turns green, What turns green.
    Select heating only on the controller.
    Turn the thermostat to highest temp and see what happens.
    Edited by: "getmeone" 14th Nov 2016

Banned

getmeone

Turn the thermostat to highest temp and see what happens.

& possibly burn out the PCB or a pump or a port valve motor? That clever

Combi or not will do for a start
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 14th Nov 2016

Try bleeding the central heating pump if it's gurgling, brass screw on front. Open till no more air comes out (don't remove screw just loosen it). More details would be helpful.

Banned

moneybag

Try bleeding the central heating pump if it's gurgling, brass screw on … Try bleeding the central heating pump if it's gurgling, brass screw on front. Open till no more air comes out (don't remove screw just loosen it). More details would be helpful.

Combis dont have pumps they work off of water pressure.

Hence the OP needs to say if its a combi or not.
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 14th Nov 2016

since when they have pumps but don't usally need bleeding if that's what u mean.

YouDontWantToKnow

Combis dont have pumps they work off of water pressure. Hence the OP … Combis dont have pumps they work off of water pressure. Hence the OP needs to say if its a combi or not.

That's why I said more details would be helpful.

YouDontWantToKnow

I dont know where you get that from. Could be anything

​Like I said, I have one, and it seems similar to this.

Banned

CaptCShadow

​Like I said, I have one, and it seems similar to this.

Could be anything & bigfootpete obviously isnt that bothered by confirming the first question. Combi or not.

Anything else is just pure speculation until he does.

In fact if I were to go by the limited info I would guess 80 to 20 that it is definitely not a combi. But what do I know until the simplest thing is confirmed.

YouDontWantToKnow

Could be anything & bigfootpete obviously isnt that bothered by … Could be anything & bigfootpete obviously isnt that bothered by confirming the first question. Combi or not.Anything else is just pure speculation until he does. In fact if I were to go by the limited info I would guess 80 to 20 that it is definitely not a combi. But what do I know until the simplest thing is confirmed.

​Yep. I'm only speculating on the basis that it sounds similar, though doesn't mean it is.

Hopefully he will come back and confirm what it is...

YouDontWantToKnow

Combis dont have pumps they work off of water pressure.

Of course they have a pump. The hot water to the taps runs on pressure but the central heating is pumped round by a "pump"

YouDontWantToKnow

Are you for real?

The water for the domestic hot water taps is fed directly from the cold water mains and it is heated by the combi and the water is drawn off at the taps.

The water for the central heating system is in a pressurised, closed loop system which is heated by the combi when required and pumped around through the radiators.
    How else do you think the water circulates the radiaters

Banned

Ellie Phant

The water for the domestic hot water taps is fed directly from the cold … The water for the domestic hot water taps is fed directly from the cold water mains and it is heated by the combi and the water is drawn off at the taps.The water for the central heating system is in a pressurised, closed loop system which is heated by the combi when required and pumped around through the radiators. How else do you think the water circulates the radiaters

OK.

The combi boilers are a sealed system which includes a pump. You have no access to it & to try to do so is illegal unless you are a gas safe engineer.

Enough for you?

YouDontWantToKnow

OK. The combi boilers are a sealed system which includes a pump. You have … OK. The combi boilers are a sealed system which includes a pump. You have no access to it & to try to do so is illegal unless you are a gas safe engineer. Enough for you?

Accessible or not, The point is you said combis don't have a pump.
    END OF

Banned

Ellie Phant

Accessible or not, The point is you said combis don't have a pump.END OF

like "Try bleeding the central heating pump if it's gurgling, brass screw on front. Open till no more air comes out (don't remove screw just loosen it)." is the comment I was referring to. END OF

YouDontWantToKnow

Combis dont have pumps they work off of water pressure. Hence the OP … Combis dont have pumps they work off of water pressure. Hence the OP needs to say if its a combi or not.

​Combis dont have pumps... what planet are you from??

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

Is it a combi or not?

No, it's not a combi - saving up for a new one.

And f.y.i I was out until late at my Wing Tchung class and went straight to bed when I got home as I had to be up before 6am for work, hence no reply until now.

Original Poster

getmeone

Before we get to the important bit:What type of boiler is it? Make and … Before we get to the important bit:What type of boiler is it? Make and Model.When you say it turns green, What turns green.Select heating only on the controller.Turn the thermostat to highest temp and see what happens.

It's a Potterton - not sure of the model - not too sure of the age but it doesn't look that old.
    There is only a reset button on the unit, and a temperature/off knob which has been turned up,
    and a led light that changes colour/flashes to indicate faults or green to indicate ok.
    So as it's green that seems to indicate that there is not a fault with the boiler itself.

The pump is set to the lowest setting of one, I think last year I tried a higher setting but that did
    not make any difference so put it back to one.

I also did flush the radiators two years ago, but it has been working ok since then.

Banned

Bigfootpete

No, it's not a combi -

First check you pump is working & then check the port valve.

Start with that & go from there.

Original Poster

ok, tried to bleed the pump but there was no air, just water. Not sure how I can test is working. I'll have to wait until it decides to switch on to see if I can hear it.

Its most likely a dodgy timer or thermostat. These types of system are normally pretty reliable and easy to diagnose then a combi. If the pump was faulty u would hear banging in the pipes or upstairs rads warm and downstairs would be cold. So imo it wouldn't be the pump. Its easy to diagnose the fault with the help of a electric screwdriver a electrician or plumber should easily be able to diagnose the fault. If u want to save money on a call out just bypass the timer or thermostat and u should find which on is faulty. U meaning a person competent in electrics.

If it's a Potterton Suprima boiler it will be the PCB as they have issues with the solder on the boards.

You can re-solder them or replace

Original Poster

kash2013

Its most likely a dodgy timer or thermostat. These types of system are … Its most likely a dodgy timer or thermostat. These types of system are normally pretty reliable and easy to diagnose then a combi. If the pump was faulty u would hear banging in the pipes or upstairs rads warm and downstairs would be cold. So imo it wouldn't be the pump. Its easy to diagnose the fault with the help of a electric screwdriver a electrician or plumber should easily be able to diagnose the fault. If u want to save money on a call out just bypass the timer or thermostat and u should find which on is faulty. U meaning a person competent in electrics.

Thanks, I was kinda thinking it might be the timer, I did try setting it to specific times which didn't help. Not sure I have a way of bypassing it, I'll dust the cobwebs off my wallet!

Thanks to everyone else for their replies.

Not sure if I am too late here, but have you tried bypassing the thermostat? That is where I would start. If you have an old light switch laying around a competent person could:
    Isolate supply to the stat;
    Connect the supply and switch wire (Normally Red and Black) across the switch.
    Switch the power back on.
    Make the switch and see if you still have the fault.
    That would rule out the Stat.
    Markvirgo has reminded me of some history with these Pottertons.

Original Poster

getmeone

Not sure if I am too late here, but have you tried bypassing the … Not sure if I am too late here, but have you tried bypassing the thermostat? That is where I would start. If you have an old light switch laying around a competent person could:Isolate supply to the stat;Connect the supply and switch wire (Normally Red and Black) across the switch.Switch the power back on.Make the switch and see if you still have the fault. That would rule out the Stat.Markvirgo has reminded me of some history with these Pottertons.

Thanks, I've leave that up to the plumber.

Original Poster

Plumber has just been, it's the zone valve that wasn't working, so thanks for all the replies.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Community Appreciation Giveaway​ (razerzone​)​11
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick99
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
      4. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer88

See more discussions