Boiler Problem

Found 4th Jan
Our boiler is leaking, called out plumber through Homecare type agreement. They are advising that I need a new pump assembly. looking online it is more likely the rubber seal between the pump head and the housing.
My problem is parts won't be available till next week, I have 2 kids in the house and I'll be away with work for a couple of days.

Is it possible to use a gasket sealant temporarily to get the boiler back up and running? It works on car water pump mating faces, at similar if not cooler temperatures. As it is water side, not gas, access is good and there is next to no water pressure left. Is this something I should attempt? I'm not too cack handed.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

If its just a seal, then probably. If its a diaphragm then no. Worth a try and if it doesn't work clean it up well and nobodys the wiser

Original Poster

Shengis13 m ago

If its just a seal, then probably. If its a diaphragm then no. Worth a try …If its just a seal, then probably. If its a diaphragm then no. Worth a try and if it doesn't work clean it up well and nobodys the wiser

Oh good point. Looking at the pump head replacement parts. It is a rubber O ring seal so should be ok.

Might try some Fernox F4 first. At least it will stay in the system to help elsewhere if it doesn’t work.

You can get parts for almost any type of boiler almost INSTANTLY - I'd give Homecare a call and tell them that you have young kids in the house and need it fixed sooner - they are just fobbing you off at the moment. (.A lot of negative feedback on Homeserve on this and other forums).

If you get no improvement then I'd do as you suggest. If it still leaks can it be directed towards a bucket or bowl - assuming it's just a drip?

When you call them, use the words ‘vulnerable aged children’ when saying about the kids. Should escalate your repair.

unless i am mistaken, no one is allowed to touch the boiler in an attempt to repair it if they are not gas safe registered? this means that the OP can not do a DIY job on the boiler even if he knows what is wrong with it and can fix it himself?

mutley117 m ago

unless i am mistaken, no one is allowed to touch the boiler in an attempt …unless i am mistaken, no one is allowed to touch the boiler in an attempt to repair it if they are not gas safe registered? this means that the OP can not do a DIY job on the boiler even if he knows what is wrong with it and can fix it himself?

The way i'm reading it they're talking about the central heating pump.

mutley134 m ago

unless i am mistaken, no one is allowed to touch the boiler in an attempt …unless i am mistaken, no one is allowed to touch the boiler in an attempt to repair it if they are not gas safe registered? this means that the OP can not do a DIY job on the boiler even if he knows what is wrong with it and can fix it himself?

You can't attempt to repair the gas/ burner side (I.e. disconnet or reconnect the gas) unless your gas safe registered, but this is the water side of the boiler which you can work on if your competent I believe.

Original Poster

barriey26 m ago

You can't attempt to repair the gas/ burner side (I.e. disconnet or …You can't attempt to repair the gas/ burner side (I.e. disconnet or reconnect the gas) unless your gas safe registered, but this is the water side of the boiler which you can work on if your competent I believe.

That is how I read it in the gas safe site.

Tried the escalating mentioning young kids. Problem is my boiler isn’t as mainstream as some. So I expected a part order. Just didn’t factor in how they order is backwards to say the least.

Going to throw in some F4 via the filling loop and also apply some Fernox leak paste to the outside. Give it 30mins then fill her up and see how it goes.

I have no problem with things going wrong. I just hate the lackadaisical attitude of trades people.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 4th Jan

Oneday779 m ago

That is how I read it in the gas safe site. Tried the escalating …That is how I read it in the gas safe site. Tried the escalating mentioning young kids. Problem is my boiler isn’t as mainstream as some. So I expected a part order. Just didn’t factor in how they order is backwards to say the least. Going to throw in some F4 via the filling loop and also apply some Fernox leak paste to the outside. Give it 30mins then fill her up and see how it goes. I have no problem with things going wrong. I just hate the lackadaisical attitude of trades people.

I've arranged service/breakdown contracts for my parents and in-laws (considered vulnerable due to age) with British Gas and have to say their service has been excellent. Not the cheapest but they have always attended and repaired on same day after going away to source parts.

Good luck with your bodge!
Edited by: "Van1973" 4th Jan

Original Poster

Van197348 m ago

I've arranged service/breakdown contracts for my parents and in-laws …I've arranged service/breakdown contracts for my parents and in-laws (considered vulnerable due to age) with British Gas and have to say their service has been excellent. Not the cheapest but they have always attended and repaired on same day after going away to source parts.Good luck with your bodge!

Bodging is what I do best

Try some car head gasket seal, it will withstand higher temparatures and pressures.

Original Poster

markvirgo1 h, 3 m ago

Try some car head gasket seal, it will withstand higher temparatures and …Try some car head gasket seal, it will withstand higher temparatures and pressures.

Next step on the agenda if F4 doesn’t work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants