Boiler problems

Found 3rd Dec 2017
Hi all,

I am having issues with my boiler. It is a conventional type, with a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

I also have Hive.
So the issue is, that I turn the Hive on for heating/hot water. The room gets to the desired temperature and Hive goes off. However, the boiler goes to 'ignition' mode and stays on, whilst not generating any heat or hot water. However, as the boiler stays on, it means that the pumps and valves are also on. After a few minutes, they get so hot and start making noise as there is no water going through the system.

My local boiler man, initially suggested it's the issue with zone valves. But when he came over on Friday it was all actually working ok, until it packed up again yesterday.

The only solution is to switch the boiler off with the fuse and that kills the whole system. But that means I get really cold in the night.

The boiler man now suggested a 'bypass' - whatever that might mean.

Any other ideas?
Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Was it working before you had hive?
Original Poster
I have had Hive now for 2 years and haven't had a problem with it before. I rang Hive today and they said that if Hive is switching off when reaching temperature (which it is) then it's not a Hive problem...
A Hive is just a fancy thermostat/programmer.

If the temperatures (room and hot water) are satisfied then the Hive should cut the power to the boiler and pump. The boiler and pump should only be able to operate if at least one of the valves is open.

If the boiler (and pump) is running when the temperatures are satisfied and the valves are closed there is either a major fault in the boiler wiring or the Hive has gone kaput! If nothing has changed with the system - then I suspect it is most likely the Hive.

It is certainly an electrical/programmer problem - not a piping one. You don't need a new bypass - sounds more like you need a new "boiler man"!
Original Poster
Van197357 m ago

A Hive is just a fancy thermostat/programmer.If the temperatures (room and …A Hive is just a fancy thermostat/programmer.If the temperatures (room and hot water) are satisfied then the Hive should cut the power to the boiler and pump. The boiler and pump should only be able to operate if at least one of the valves is open.If the boiler (and pump) is running when the temperatures are satisfied and the valves are closed there is either a major fault in the boiler wiring or the Hive has gone kaput! If nothing has changed with the system - then I suspect it is most likely the Hive. It is certainly an electrical/programmer problem - not a piping one. You don't need a new bypass - sounds more like you need a new "boiler man"!

Thanks. I don't think it is the Hive, as the Hive does switch off. I also have another device which controls the underfloor heating, so would be very unlucky if both went. I have done more reading about the boiler. A week ago I was able to reset the boiler using the reset button. But now the reset doesn't seem to do much. From what people said in other forums it might need a new pcb, which is about £120 online. What do you think?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants