Boiler Stopped Working - HELP!!

Posted 22nd Feb
Boiler stopped working today. Heating is fine, but no hot water. Earliest anyone can come out is Tuesday.

Can anyone who knows about boilers give troubleshooting advice?

Here is the boiler make / model:

3411166-pohJS.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

30 Comments
On my old Alph boiler it was the Microswitch that sences water flow causing the issue.
bigwheels22/02/2020 13:58

On my old Alph boiler it was the Microswitch that sences water flow …On my old Alph boiler it was the Microswitch that sences water flow causing the issue.

As above, try the following test of the microswitch and the temporary fix...

diynot.com/diy…26/
Sounds like your diverter valve is broken, and if it is the case then you’ll need a new part. When you turn on hot tap can you hear boiler make a moving noise?
discozohan22/02/2020 14:11

Sounds like your diverter valve is broken, and if it is the case then …Sounds like your diverter valve is broken, and if it is the case then you’ll need a new part. When you turn on hot tap can you hear boiler make a moving noise?

Going to try and let you know.
Sounds like diverter valve issue according to hubby who is gas safe engineer
pabz22/02/2020 14:30

Sounds like diverter valve issue according to hubby who is gas safe …Sounds like diverter valve issue according to hubby who is gas safe engineer

Any temp fix for it?
IamMT22/02/2020 14:09

As above, try the following test of the microswitch and the temporary …As above, try the following test of the microswitch and the temporary fix... https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/vaillant-turbomax-no-hot-water-but-central-heating-ok.221226/#post-1571584

Will try this.
Mine recently went and it was a faulty thermostat on the boiler. No quick fix, just needed replaced.
discozohan22/02/2020 14:11

Sounds like your diverter valve is broken, and if it is the case then …Sounds like your diverter valve is broken, and if it is the case then you’ll need a new part. When you turn on hot tap can you hear boiler make a moving noise?

Yes it does.
Flow switch, diverter valve or control circuit to either, but likely not both.
Is hot water available at the tap when the heating is on and burner burning? (may need to run hot water tap for 30sec+ whilst burner on for entire duration).
AndyRoyd22/02/2020 14:41

Flow switch, diverter valve or control circuit to either, but likely not …Flow switch, diverter valve or control circuit to either, but likely not both.Is hot water available at the tap when the heating is on and burner burning? (may need to run hot water tap for 30sec+ whilst burner on for entire duration).

No hot water, but heating is working.
mas12322/02/2020 14:39

Yes it does.

That’s the diverter valve trying to switch from heating to hot water , likely it’s stuck/seized but only way to be sure is wait for the engineer to open it up.
mas12322/02/2020 14:42

No hot water, but heating is working.

Yes, but I asked a specific conditional question which is unlikely you could have checked in your impressively prompt response to my post, but to expand that Q for clarity:
Is hot water available at the tap when both 1) the heating is on and 2) the burner is burning? (may need to run hot water tap for 30sec+ whilst burner on for entire duration).
discozohan22/02/2020 14:44

That’s the diverter valve trying to switch from heating to hot water , l …That’s the diverter valve trying to switch from heating to hot water , likely it’s stuck/seized but only way to be sure is wait for the engineer to open it up.

Here it mentions a temp fix by placing a piece of card in there. Is this something I could try?

diynot.com/diy…26/
AndyRoyd22/02/2020 14:46

Yes, but I asked a specific conditional question which is unlikely you …Yes, but I asked a specific conditional question which is unlikely you could have checked in your impressively prompt response to my post, but to expand that Q for clarity:Is hot water available at the tap when both 1) the heating is on and 2) the burner is burning? (may need to run hot water tap for 30sec+ whilst burner on for entire duration).

Oops, I didn’t realise, sorry! I know how to turn the heating on, but how to turn burner on?
mas12322/02/2020 14:46

Here it mentions a temp fix by placing a piece of card in there. Is this …Here it mentions a temp fix by placing a piece of card in there. Is this something I could try?https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/vaillant-turbomax-no-hot-water-but-central-heating-ok.221226/#post-1571584

Here it mentions a temp fix by placing a piece of card in there. Is this …Here it mentions a temp fix by placing a piece of card in there. Is this something I could try?https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/vaillant-turbomax-no-hot-water-but-central-heating-ok.221226/#post-1571584

I wouldn’t - no disrespect but you don’t know what your doing and playing around with a boiler/gas is dangerous.
discozohan22/02/2020 14:50

I wouldn’t - no disrespect but you don’t know what your doing and playing a …I wouldn’t - no disrespect but you don’t know what your doing and playing around with a boiler/gas is dangerous.

No disrespect taken. I really don’t know what I’m doing

Just desperate to get hot water before Tuesday!
mas12322/02/2020 14:33

Any temp fix for it?

No , do not try repairing yourself you must get a gas safe engineer to do this
mas12322/02/2020 14:48

Oops, I didn’t realise, sorry! I know how to turn the heating on, but how t …Oops, I didn’t realise, sorry! I know how to turn the heating on, but how to turn burner on?

I'm not familiar with your specific boiler, but most modern boilers have either an LED or flame icon on an LCD panel to show when burning. If not sure, within a heating period just turn thermostat up 10 degrees and boiler will instantly ignite and burn continuously for a few minutes. Immediately perform tap check, then reset thermostat to previous setting.
AndyRoyd22/02/2020 14:57

I'm not familiar with your specific boiler, but most modern boilers have …I'm not familiar with your specific boiler, but most modern boilers have either an LED or flame icon on an LCD panel to show when burning. If not sure, within a heating period just turn thermostat up 10 degrees and boiler will instantly ignite and burn continuously for a few minutes. Immediately perform tap check, then reset thermostat to previous setting.

Done this and water was still cold.
mas12322/02/2020 15:00

Done this and water was still cold.

OK, sadly the option for temporary workaround is not present.
AndyRoyd22/02/2020 15:04

OK, sadly the option for temporary workaround is not present.

Thanks anyway mate
Back in the day, I was able to lift the diverter valve assembly manually, which activated the micro switches
The danger is that unless a hot water tap is open and flowing the water in the extra heat exchanger could literally boil and wreck it (#boom)
Guys, thanks for all your help so far. And just an update: I just realised that the heating is in fact NOT working. So both heating and hot water are not working
OK, if it’s both not working, does the boiler fire up, or even tries to and then shows any error codes etc?
Toptrumpet22/02/2020 16:29

OK, if it’s both not working, does the boiler fire up, or even tries to a …OK, if it’s both not working, does the boiler fire up, or even tries to and then shows any error codes etc?

No error codes, and just touched a radiator and its very slightly warm.
mas12322/02/2020 19:12

It could be the pump in the airing cupboard then, not pumping the water through the motorised zone valves (silver rectangle boxes) enough.
Low pressure? Mine loses pressure on a monthly basis and I have to keep manually filling the boiler up.
mas12322/02/2020 19:12

We had a similar problem with our old boiler. Every time we turned a tap on, no hot water but the radiators turned on. Not sure if you have the same problem.
Guys, not sure what you did, but the hot waters just come back on. I guess it was the positive energy from all HUKDealers!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants