Boiler thermostat- WiFi controlled

Posted 20th Nov
We recently has a new combi boiler fitter for our elderly Mum. But she's getting confused using the thermostat (traditional style).

I know there is lots of new technology now to control over wifi, but those in the know which would you advise to go for (hopefully black Friday) which is easy to install and then to amend using my phone remotely.

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
I've got a nest. Really easy to use and it learns your habits, which means eventually your mum won't even need to touch it once it knows her schedule
Edited by: "jambone" 20th Nov
The Nest gets a second vote from me. Really straight forward. I always hear positive things about Hive too.
Thanks which 'version' do you recommend from these:

store.google.com/gb/…-GB
Edited by: "Amaise" 20th Nov
Amaise20/11/2019 10:15

Thanks which 'version' do you recommend from these: …Thanks which 'version' do you recommend from these: https://store.google.com/gb/category/connected_home?hl=en-GB

This one but I wouldn't get it directly from Google. You can get it cheaper from elsewhere. Cex also sell them cheaply with 2 year warranty
Another vote for Nest , had ours a few years now and no problems.
We have Hive, which is great, but I would not recommend it for someone who finds a standard thermostat difficult. I would also say that Hive is only self install on the combi boiler if you have the expertise to do it.
I got Netatmo - I think it's the same as a Tado, but I got mine because it was the cheapest

It's easy to use, and the thermostat on the wall is literally press the top to increase the temperature or press the bottom to lower the temperature (works for three hours then resets to the schedule).

The app is similar, you can set up the schedules or increase/lower the temperature.
If you have recently had a new combi boiler installed the installation should comply with last years new 'boiler plus' building regulations, was a 'smart' thermostat not fitted as part of that requirement?
Another vote for Nest here, for your situation, very easy to use, simply turn the dial, large number states the temp it'll reach, and its coloured orange when its heating, as previously said it remembers your habits so after time you get to forget about it, it just works.

That said, if your mother has a static routine, a 24hr timer, if a digital one is on the boiler, would suffice
paulj4820/11/2019 12:56

If you have recently had a new combi boiler installed the installation …If you have recently had a new combi boiler installed the installation should comply with last years new 'boiler plus' building regulations, was a 'smart' thermostat not fitted as part of that requirement?

It was fitted in 2017 Valiant something or other, not sure if that helps...but the thermostat is v confusing for her.. digital
Edited by: "Amaise" 20th Nov
Amaise20/11/2019 14:07

It was fitted in 2017 Valiant something or other, not sure if that …It was fitted in 2017 Valiant something or other, not sure if that helps...but the thermostat is v confusing for her.. digital

Ah so not that recent then, building regs changed April 2018 called 'boiler plus'

Back to the original problem, has your mum got Internet and WiFi in the house already?
Is it the thermostat that's the true cause of confusion? I could understand the programmer / controller causing confusion, but your remote control of temperature may still leave her looking for a way to lower / increase temperature to whatever temperature she would prefer at any specific time.
paulj4820/11/2019 14:33

Ah so not that recent then, building regs changed April 2018 called …Ah so not that recent then, building regs changed April 2018 called 'boiler plus' Back to the original problem, has your mum got Internet and WiFi in the house already?

Yes there is WiFi

It was fitted in 2017, not sure if that helps...
AndyRoyd20/11/2019 15:12

Is it the thermostat that's the true cause of confusion? I could …Is it the thermostat that's the true cause of confusion? I could understand the programmer / controller causing confusion, but your remote control of temperature may still leave her looking for a way to lower / increase temperature to whatever temperature she would prefer at any specific time.

Yes it is the thermostat, it's not the old school 'dial' which is pretty easy to understand. It's a digital gizmo and I believe it is programmed in some way also. It really doesn't help that it's not eye level. But that's beside the point, it's just annoying and confusing for her to work out, and then gets a cold house. Then it's down to me to just press the 'up' button a few tes the next day. It's not rocket science I know, but it isn't the most user friendly thing.

I'd rather just be able to control it remotely, but now looking at these things they're £200+ so I have to figure out if this is the way to go.

Sorry for essay
If you want to keep the cost down I would go for a second hand nest from cex then get an electrician/plumber to fit it. Should come in under £200 for that including the install.

The nest is as easy as turn clockwise to turn temp up, anticlockwise to turn temp down. There aren't actually any visible button at all on it so should be nice and easy for your mum
lots of deals on at the moment for hive
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions