Boiler trouble

Found 26th Jul 2011
I have a vailliant ecotec pro 28 boiler, yesterday took the radiator off to paint behind, then the boiler started flashing f22 which indicates low water pressure so i had no hot water so put the radiator back on hoping to fill it and that sort out the boiler, now the radiator won't fill, any ideas anyone. thanks in advance.
Community Updates
MiscBoiler
21 Comments
Problems due to low system water pressure
The device switches to “Fault” if the water pressure in
the heating system is too low. This malfunction is indicated
by the fault code “F.22” (dry fire) or “F.23” or
“F.24” (lack of water).
You can only start up the appliance again when the
heating system is sufficiently filled with water.

You need to top up the system water.

Read this manual directheatingsupplies.co.uk/sta…pdf
I have read that from front to back no help how do i top up the system with water i don't understand
Agree that you need to top up with water iaw with last instructions. I know it sounds simple but when refilling a radiator make sure the bleed valve is slightly open to allow air to escape and that you are actually turning the open/close valve the correct way (i.e. to open). You should hear the water rushing in. I've always found this a two man job. On my boiler one person has to be at the boiler to operate the top up valve (pressure valve) and one at the radiator to check for leaks and hold a container by the bleed valve to catch any escaping water).

Once full it is worth bleeding all radiators and rechecking the operating pressure at the boiler to make sure it is within the set limits (Check manual for min & max pressures).
where and what is the top up valve and i have done everything right with the radiator no water is coming in
kiraangel

where and what is the top up valve and i have done everything right with … where and what is the top up valve and i have done everything right with the radiator no water is coming in

It's usually on the underneath of the boiler. Follow the cold water pipe into the boiler. On mine it's like a valve that you open with a screwdriver. When its closed the slot for the screwdriver is across the pipe. You turn it so its inline with the pipe. As it fills you should see the pressure gauge rise. Close it when it's in the green area.
Its a combi boiler so runs off system water thats pressurised to between 1-2 bars of pressure visible on the guage on the boiler front.
Under the boiler should be a silver flexible hose joining to two pipes with probably (I dont own this boiler) screwdriver slotted service valves on each end of the flexible hose. DONT close any other slotted service valves, just the 2 on the flexible is what you are looking for.
Leave that rad turned off for now.
Open 1 of the service valves, thats screw slot in line with pipe run, slowly open the other valve with a screwdriver and hear the water rushing in, watch the pressure guage and you will see the pressure rise. Stop at 2 bars, it will only take seconds.
Once at working pressure make sure both service valves are off, thats with screwdriver slot head at right angles to pipe run, test run the boiler.
If alls ok now you can bleed the rad if your finished decorating, but as you bleed the rad you will loose pressure again so go through above to restore. Maybe you will need to top up several times as bleading looses pressure and maybe some water.
MikeT

Its a combi boiler so runs off system water thats pressurised to between … Its a combi boiler so runs off system water thats pressurised to between 1-2 bars of pressure visible on the guage on the boiler front.Under the boiler should be a silver flexible hose joining to two pipes with probably (I dont own this boiler) screwdriver slotted service valves on each end of the flexible hose. DONT close any other slotted service valves, just the 2 on the flexible is what you are looking for.Leave that rad turned off for now.Open 1 of the service valves, thats screw slot in line with pipe run, slowly open the other valve with a screwdriver and hear the water rushing in, watch the pressure guage and you will see the pressure rise. Stop at 2 bars, it will only take seconds.Once at working pressure make sure both service valves are off, thats with screwdriver slot head at right angles to pipe run, test run the boiler.If alls ok now you can bleed the rad if your finished decorating, but as you bleed the rad you will loose pressure again so go through above to restore. Maybe you will need to top up several times as bleading looses pressure and maybe some water.

I have read about this flexable hose but there isn't on i can see the two things i have to turn but i have no hose
Right, well look for it, the installer should have left it and the manual.
Maybe its a rental property? In this case they wont be there as many owners remove them so the tenants cant mess with the system.
If you take a trip to the local plumbers merchants and explain they will sell you a flexible hose with rubber sealing washers to fit your boiler.
You are supposed to remove them when not being topped up but many dont.
I have a liitle plastic thing on the pipes under the boiler think its red or blue, when mines low I just turn it clockwise till the pressure goes back up.
Edited by: "pink-ka" 26th Jul 2011
MikeT

Right, well look for it, the installer should have left it and the … Right, well look for it, the installer should have left it and the manual. Maybe its a rental property? In this case they wont be there as many owners remove them so the tenants cant mess with the system.If you take a trip to the local plumbers merchants and explain they will sell you a flexible hose with rubber sealing washers to fit your boiler.You are supposed to remove them when not being topped up but many dont.

it's a brand new boiler just fitted and he did not leave one
kiraangel

it's a brand new boiler just fitted and he did not leave one

so basically i can't do anything without this hose, but why won't my radiator fill
Well get onto him as he is required to leave the manual/owner instructions with the purchaser.

The top up flexible is sometimes built into the boiler but in your case its I think as you have found a flexible one which again he should have left AND run through how to operate and top it up as combies do loose system pressure without anyone removing rads etc and you do need to check and top up the system pressure one or two times during the year.
Installers sometimes charge extra for the hose.....
ninegt

this might help … this might help http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/TOPPING_UP_A_COMBI_BOILER.htm

thanks but i now know this but i don't have the required hose/loop
kiraangel

so basically i can't do anything without this hose, but why won't my … so basically i can't do anything without this hose, but why won't my radiator fill

Your system is pressurised to 2 bars of pressure, or it was till you removed the rad, now you have no system pressure left so water will not fill the rad until you get pressure back.
I would forget the rad and just leave it shut off until you have the flex hose and have mastered the job of topping up the system pressure/water and making sure the boiler will again run.

BTW the system has inhibitor chemicals added to stop the rads from rusting when first filled. If you repeatedly drain and remove rads, when you refill/top up the system you are weakening the chemical content and eventually you will need to get the system inhibitor topped up too.
No I'm not going to tell you how to do that too
the installers are not supposed to leave these coupled up after installing the boiler but they sometimes leave them taped to a pipe on the boiler pipe work or with the instructions
MikeT

Your system is pressurised to 2 bars of pressure, or it was till you … Your system is pressurised to 2 bars of pressure, or it was till you removed the rad, now you have no system pressure left so water will not fill the rad until you get pressure back.I would forget the rad and just leave it shut off until you have the flex hose and have mastered the job of topping up the system pressure/water and making sure the boiler will again run.BTW the system has inhibitor chemicals added to stop the rads from rusting when first filled. If you repeatedly drain and remove rads, when you refill/top up the system you are weakening the chemical content and eventually you will need to get the system inhibitor topped up too.No I'm not going to tell you how to do that too

Are we sure it's a flexible hose? My valve is just on the cold pipe before it goes into the boiler but mines about 5 years old. Do all new ones have the flexible hoses?
OP have you actually looked for the valve yet?
if its just been fitted call the fitter? my o/h would help you if he had fitted it. Anyway he needs to call back with your instructions!
It's not always a flexihose. Mine is part of the boiler itself. Other boilers have to have the pipe added from the water inlet and others use flexihoses so don't make any assumptions over the piping.

Take a photo of the pipework under and around your boiler and post it. Someone might be able to recognise it.

There should definatly be a refill valve usually under the boiler with either a hand operated valve or a screw driver operated valve.

If you are unsure you should speak to someone that deals with boilers. To refill you will need the bleed valve of the rad open a little so air can escape that rad as it is refilled so it is a 2 person job ideally.

I have only ever had to refill my system when i had a leak or after I bled the rads. Haven't had to refill it in years. The system just won't operate at all if the radiator pressure is too low even for hot water. I believe this is because the heat exchanger is used for both and so if there is no water on the heating side of the exchanger it would cause damage and so the boiler shuts off.

Check what the boiler should be pressurised to as well as mine is 1bar. The Eon engineer that replaced my top up tap (cos it snapped when I used it and jammed shut) over pressured my system to 2bar and under heat it hit nearly 3 and shut off so I had to blead rads to lower the pressure.
thanks everyone found hose ontop of boiler doh! all sorted now
Jesus Christ. X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants