Boiler vs central heating cover

Posted 30th Oct
we moved into a home which have got a 10 year old gas standard boiler and 20 year old central heating system. all in good condition

just checking on the best options to go for from your experience..

the options I read/analysed are
1. just boiler only cover. approx £35 per year
2. boiler + heating cover : £100 per year
3. buy new boiler: circa £3000 and get free warranty etc.

what type of insurance you guys normally go for?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
Just checking here, You have been offered Gas(?) central heating boiler cover for a 10 year old boiler for £35 per year, that's under £3 per month !!!

What does that cover exactly?
I’d go with option 1 but I think your pricing is wrong !
I wouldn’t buy a boiler just for the sake of it. Your current boiler may have another 10 years life left in it. I’d only buy a new boiler as a last resort if it couldn't be fixed or parts became obsolete.
Personally I would go for just the boiler cover. I’ve got boiler and control cover only on mine for roughly the same as you’ve been quoted. Many may say that unless you prove the boiler is serviced yearly the cover Is invalid, but looking through my British Gas confirmation and booklet, they make no mention of this. Even at£100 for boiler and central heating cover, for peace of mind if you’re really worried about it, it would be a good option. The heating part includes the valves but doesn’t cover sludge inside the radiator (which you can feel usually along the bottom of the radiator if that bit is cool compared to the rest of the radiator usually in an arc formation).
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 30th Oct
joyf453630/10/2019 20:25

Just checking here, You have been offered Gas(?) central heating boiler …Just checking here, You have been offered Gas(?) central heating boiler cover for a 10 year old boiler for £35 per year, that's under £3 per month !!!What does that cover exactly?

Just got a "from £35 per year". Haven't put details of 10 year etc.
getknk30/10/2019 20:38

Just got a "from £35 per year". Haven't put details of 10 year etc.

Try putting in the details, I fear you might be in for a shock.
Toptrumpet30/10/2019 20:35

I wouldn’t buy a boiler just for the sake of it. Your current boiler may h …I wouldn’t buy a boiler just for the sake of it. Your current boiler may have another 10 years life left in it. I’d only buy a new boiler as a last resort if it couldn't be fixed or parts became obsolete.Personally I would go for just the boiler cover. I’ve got boiler and control cover only on mine for roughly the same as you’ve been quoted. Many may say that unless you prove the boiler is serviced yearly the cover Is invalid, but looking through my British Gas confirmation and booklet, they make no mention of this. Even at£100 for boiler and central heating cover, for peace of mind if you’re really worried about it, it would be a good option. The heating part includes the valves but doesn’t cover sludge inside the radiator (which you can feel usually along the bottom of the radiator if that bit is cool compared to the rest of the radiator usually in an arc formation).

And sludge will mean they often try to sell you a Turbo flush/Power flush costing hundreds.
£3000 for a new boiler???
i assume that you will have a standard heating system where there is a hot water tank. i don't think the boiler only cover will cover the hot water tank so you may need the boiler and heating cover.

when we moved into our new house last year, we ditched the standard heating system and put in a combi as we had a standard heating system at our previous home and found it to be very inconvenient.

we didn't replace the radiators though and found that was a mistake as the old radiators were not up to the job of heating the big house so we have replaced them a few weeks ago and the difference is really noticeable. i would suggest replacing the radiators as a minimum as you will save money in the long term.
You forgot the mandatory annual inspection tax. Somewhere north of £65 on top of the £35. If you dont have it, they shake their heads at claim time..
When was the boiler last serviced? It was more than a year old, get it serviced by a decent plumber and ask his opinion.
The government has schemes to replace boilers check if your eligible you may get one for free or half the cost
KingNav36030/10/2019 20:57

£3000 for a new boiler???

I was thinking that. It cost around £3000 for our house to be fitted with new boiler and heating system
mutley130/10/2019 21:02

i assume that you will have a standard heating system where there is a hot …i assume that you will have a standard heating system where there is a hot water tank. i don't think the boiler only cover will cover the hot water tank so you may need the boiler and heating cover.when we moved into our new house last year, we ditched the standard heating system and put in a combi as we had a standard heating system at our previous home and found it to be very inconvenient.we didn't replace the radiators though and found that was a mistake as the old radiators were not up to the job of heating the big house so we have replaced them a few weeks ago and the difference is really noticeable. i would suggest replacing the radiators as a minimum as you will save money in the long term.

Thanks for the details. You mean you changed radiators to electric?

Any suggestions on the amount to replace the radiators including fitting charges?
Edited by: "getknk" 31st Oct
getknk31/10/2019 06:44

Thanks for the details. You mean you changed radiators to electric?Any …Thanks for the details. You mean you changed radiators to electric?Any suggestions on the amount to replace the radiators including fitting charges?

Unless you are looking at getting designer ones, rads aren't expensive at all. Have a look on the Wickes, Screwfix and Worsley websites, a plumber would add on say £10 minimum on the cost of the rad itself so buy them yourself, after checking he/she is happy with them.

Thanks for the details. You mean you changed radiators to electric?Any …Thanks for the details. You mean you changed radiators to electric?Any suggestions on the amount to replace the radiators including fitting charges?

I think Mutley meant replaced as in like for like, not swapped for electric.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 31st Oct

old radiators are not very efficient at dissipating heat and they have sludge in them. even if you do an expensive power flush, they are still not that great so it is worth replacing them with new radiators. not electric radiators just new radiators.

you can buy decent radiators from wickes and get a quote from a plumber to fit them. double radiators come in type 21 and 22, type 21 are good as they have fins between the panels which will give out a lot more heat than old radiators which were made without fins. type 22 is quite chunky and gives out a lot of heat as there are two layers of fins between the panels but they can look a bit unsightly because they are so thick if you get the wider ones.

get 3 quotes and they will vary quite a bit. on average if you got £70 labour cost per radiator then that is a reasonable quote.

if money is not an issue, i would recommend ditching the standard system and put in a combination boiler as the pressure will be better for showers and the bills will be less than a standard system as hot water is not stored for it to lose heat. a new boiler will also be more efficient at heating the house.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants