Expired

Boiler/Heating problem

Found 13th Nov 2017
Cap in hand, again, as I could really use a little help. My central heating has packed up. It is a combi boiler and the hot water is working. The radiators normally come on straight away when we turn the dial on the wall on. I have had a look at the control panel on the boiler. It has a simple 'up and down' switch for the timer/clock/auto. All seems fine.
I have had no response from our Landlord, so wondered if anyone had any ideas. Apart from lighting a fire in the living room.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Diegobound.
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
I would replace the diverter valve/ get somebody to do it for you. It’s water side and not a difficult job. That particular valve when it fails almost always fails to give priority to hot water. It’s job is to cycle between hot water and heating
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 13th Nov 2017
Have you checked the pressure in the system? This needs to be at a minumum value for the central heating to work. If necessary charge the system by opening the valves slowly around the flexi-hoses on the base of the boiler.
Original Poster
Dannyrobbo5 m ago

I would replace the diverter valve/ get somebody to do it for you. It’s w …I would replace the diverter valve/ get somebody to do it for you. It’s water side and not a difficult job. That particular valve when it fails almost always fails to give priority to hot water. It’s job is to cycle between hot water and heating

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, 'Dannyrobbo'. Sounds like it's above my capabilities or knowledge. Guess I'll have to wait.
We had a similar problem and the water pressure was too low.once topped up all was fine.x
Original Poster
Van19735 m ago

Have you checked the pressure in the system? This needs to be at a …Have you checked the pressure in the system? This needs to be at a minumum value for the central heating to work. If necessary charge the system by opening the valves slowly around the flexi-hoses on the base of the boiler.

I had a look. There are two dials. When we run the hot tap, it works perfectly. Not so sure about messing about with valves etc, as it might make us liable for damage.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
If it is what van1973 says then it's a two minute job. Even I can do it. Have you bled any radiators recently? If it is the diverter valve defo get the landlord to get it sorted. I've just had to get one done in my rental property and it didn't go to plan. Fortunately I have very relaxed tenants
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 13th Nov 2017
Diegobound6 m ago

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, 'Dannyrobbo'. Sounds like it's …Many thanks for taking the time to reply, 'Dannyrobbo'. Sounds like it's above my capabilities or knowledge. Guess I'll have to wait.

No problem, by all means try repressurising the boiler, google it there should be a tap below and vent some radiators. But I’m pretty sure with low water pressure it knocks off heating any water whereas you just have the central heating not working.
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell10 m ago

If it is what van1973 says then it's a two minute job. Even I can do it. …If it is what van1973 says then it's a two minute job. Even I can do it. Have you bled any radiators recently? If it is the diverter valve defo get the landlord to get it sorted. I've just had to get one done in my rental property and it didn't go to plan. Fortunately I have very relaxed tenants

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate, really do. Unfortunately, I don't have a key for the radiators.

I'm a shambles !
Diegobound50 s ago

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate, really do. …Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate, really do. Unfortunately, I don't have a key for the radiators. I'm a shambles !

You can always just check the pressure gauge it should be above 1 bar
Original Poster
Dannyrobbo10 m ago

No problem, by all means try repressurising the boiler, google it there …No problem, by all means try repressurising the boiler, google it there should be a tap below and vent some radiators. But I’m pretty sure with low water pressure it knocks off heating any water whereas you just have the central heating not working.

My thanks,much appreciated.
Diegobound6 m ago

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate, really do. …Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate, really do. Unfortunately, I don't have a key for the radiators. I'm a shambles !

Hope you get it fixed. My last house was a new build and they never flushed the system out which meant all the copper filings ended up in the central heating pump. It was February and for a few days the only heat in the house was when we turned the tumble dryer on.
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell4 m ago

Hope you get it fixed. My last house was a new build and they never …Hope you get it fixed. My last house was a new build and they never flushed the system out which meant all the copper filings ended up in the central heating pump. It was February and for a few days the only heat in the house was when we turned the tumble dryer on.

Any more good news? Only joking, guess I'll have to wait due to me being an old useless numpty. Thanks, Psycho. ( Now there's sentence I'd never thought I'd say.)
Dannyrobbo40 m ago

I would replace the diverter valve/ get somebody to do it for you. It’s w …I would replace the diverter valve/ get somebody to do it for you. It’s water side and not a difficult job. That particular valve when it fails almost always fails to give priority to hot water. It’s job is to cycle between hot water and heating

My alpha boiler use to do this about once every 6 months. The diverter valve was the issue every time. My landlord finally bought a new one and it's not happened since. But for about 5 years he repeatedly kept paying the boiler dude to fix it by replacing the valve mentioned above. The water would not get hot or even warm. I had to turn the heating on in order for it to heat up the water
@Diegobound
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 13th Nov 2017
Diegobound8 m ago

Any more good news? Only joking, guess I'll have to wait due to me being …Any more good news? Only joking, guess I'll have to wait due to me being an old useless numpty. Thanks, Psycho. ( Now there's sentence I'd never thought I'd say.)

Loads of good news. If it is the valve you are the tenant and you won't have to fork out the £120 it cost me as a landlord. That was three weeks after the shower died.
Original Poster
Thanks, again, Leah and Psyco. I appreciate your time. I have to tell you, I completed my first half marathon yesterday so very cold. I'm an older person and was looking for a quick fix to get the heating going. No worries, I'll badger the Landlord.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Diegobound.
are you sure the boiler doesn't have a central heating and hot water selection? all combination boilers that i have come across has an option to choose hot water only or central heating and hot water, as you would want to switch the central heating off in the summer but keep having hot water.
Original Poster
mutley14 m ago

are you sure the boiler doesn't have a central heating and hot water …are you sure the boiler doesn't have a central heating and hot water selection? all combination boilers that i have come across has an option to choose hot water only or central heating and hot water, as you would want to switch the central heating off in the summer but keep having hot water.

Can't see one, Mutley.

I did, however, have your music recommendation on my MP3 player yesterday during my half marathon. Remember it?

Hope this finds you well.
Diegobound3 m ago

Can't see one, Mutley.I did, however, have your music recommendation on my …Can't see one, Mutley.I did, however, have your music recommendation on my MP3 player yesterday during my half marathon. Remember it?Hope this finds you well.

now i remember you but i don't remember which music i recommended, was it chameleon?
Original Poster
If I take a picture of the boiler on my phone, how do I put it on here? Bear in mind, I'm an old git who struggles....
Original Poster
mutley12 m ago

now i remember you but i don't remember which music i recommended, was it …now i remember you but i don't remember which music i recommended, was it chameleon?

Not sure, it was loud and rubbish. Perfect at the time.
Diegobound19 m ago

Thanks, again, Leah and Psyco. I appreciate your time. I have to tell you, …Thanks, again, Leah and Psyco. I appreciate your time. I have to tell you, I completed my first half marathon yesterday so very cold. I'm an older person and was looking for a quick fix to get the heating going. No worries, I'll badger the Landlord.Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Diegobound.

No probs, as @Van1973 said you should check your pressure. It's very simple and it is something that I'm surprised your landlord hasn't advised you to do. The pressure gauge should be below a certain amount and above a certain amount when cold. If it's not it can not kick in to action when you turn your thermostat on the wall on. Ask the boiler man/woman who comes round to repair it. Ask them about the pressure and how to adjust it as everyone should know how to do it. You have to turn 2 levers to allow air in and then turn them back again to stop letting air in. You bleed the radiators to let the air out of its too high. If your not sure though ask your repair person. Good luck with it
Original Poster
LeahsMintytoutou4 m ago

No probs, as @Van1973 said you should check your pressure. It's very …No probs, as @Van1973 said you should check your pressure. It's very simple and it is something that I'm surprised your landlord hasn't advised you to do. The pressure gauge should be below a certain amount and above a certain amount when cold. If it's not it can not kick in to action when you turn your thermostat on the wall on. Ask the boiler man/woman who comes round to repair it. Ask them about the pressure and how to adjust it as everyone should know how to do it. You have to turn 2 levers to allow air in and then turn them back again to stop letting air in. You bleed the radiators to let the air out of its too high. If your not sure though ask your repair person. Good luck with it

Spot on. Thank you, once again, for taking your time to reply Leah. I appreciate it.
Diegobound19 m ago

Not sure, it was loud and rubbish. Perfect at the time.

lol. that is so funny
when i went to my dad's house this year, i switched the central heating on and nothing came on so i thought that the boiler was broke but i thought what if i turned the wall thermostat to a ridiculous heat setting, like 35 degrees to see what happens.

to my surprise the heating started after a few hours!
Original Poster
mutley15 m ago

when i went to my dad's house this year, i switched the central heating on …when i went to my dad's house this year, i switched the central heating on and nothing came on so i thought that the boiler was broke but i thought what if i turned the wall thermostat to a ridiculous heat setting, like 35 degrees to see what happens.to my surprise the heating started after a few hours!

35 Degrees? Mutley, I'm freezing here !
Diegobound3 h, 56 m ago

35 Degrees? Mutley, I'm freezing here !

i always find when you flick the on switch to central heating and it don't come on, always check thermostat, my granmas was battery powered and battery was dead, mine was hard wired and i turned it down, then up too maxuim too see, and then heating came on. you should hear click when it past the temperature.

under the boiler there is a round gauge and it should be showing bewteen 1 and 2 .

my boiler was also playing up, tho instead of central heating, it wasn't giving hot water.

and of course it then needs a boiler man in.

it should be landlords responsible that you have hot water and a source of heat,

also try just turning boiler on and off, but if the thermostat is working, and the light is on saying the heating is on and you getting hot water from taps, then looks the valve switch thing. tho i am not a professional
Original Poster
Thanks, Jonmarz. No joy with the thermostat unfortunately.

My sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. The landlord is on his way, so we may be getting sorted.

Diegobound.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants