Booking a hotel on a foreign website

Found 11th Nov 2017
Hi I have booked to go to Paris with the family and I have seen a hotel that I like. I wanted to book via the hotel directly as free breakfast is included but I am worried about potentially getting any additional fees with my debit card. I would use my credit card but the company pre authorises the amount until you check in and I don't want to incur any interest charges or anything as I will be going in a months time. Can anyone help? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Why don’t you book it on your credit card and pay it off immediately with your debit card if that would be charge free!
As above, you might also want to think about a Halifax clarity or post office credit card so you don’t get hit with fx conversion fees.
Thanks for the responses. I have a Halifax clarity card. Will it be okay to pay it off even though the money will be 'blocked' and not actually taken out of my account?
aydenthelion5 m ago

Thanks for the responses. I have a Halifax clarity card. Will it be okay …Thanks for the responses. I have a Halifax clarity card. Will it be okay to pay it off even though the money will be 'blocked' and not actually taken out of my account?

The charge won't apply to your account until you arrive at the hotel or in some cases when you check out. All that happens are the funds are 'reserved'. If you put your card into credit that will be fine although I'm unsure why you would choose to do that.
aydenthelion10 m ago

Thanks for the responses. I have a Halifax clarity card. Will it be okay …Thanks for the responses. I have a Halifax clarity card. Will it be okay to pay it off even though the money will be 'blocked' and not actually taken out of my account?

A letter from Halifax regarding changes to the terms and conditions of the clarity card the other day said something about being able to handle just this type of situation if you contact them.
Have you got the Revolut app? I use that for all foreign transactions. They give you a virtual card on the app and they can send you a card in the post too.
aydenthelion9 h, 29 m ago

Just schedule the payment to go through on the date you check in.
Edited by: "chocci" 12th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants