Booking cheap hotel for London Excel?

Posted 12th Dec 2019Edited by:"trojanh"
Can anyone help me know how to get the best prices? Student rates would be great as well.

I have a conference at London Excel, so I will be staying 15-19 Jan 2020.

Best price I have gotten so far is £129.20 for London City Airport IBIS Budget.
£150 for Whitechapel IBIS Budget

Breakfast is £20 for 4 nights but likely won't be halal

Any tips? Should I use KAYAK or some comparison site (just been using Google).

Also is it easy to get to the Airport hotel? Worried transport is a pain as it says I need to catch an Underground and overground to get to places like Brick Lane.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
search using trivago
ccnp12/12/2019 09:55

search using trivago

Thanks mate, seems cheaper from IBIS (£129.20 vs £134 on trivago) for the London City Airport.
£126 docklands ibis Link

Edit:sorry it looks like prices goes up once you click through the site.
Edited by: "MR1123" 12th Dec 2019
Is that per night or total cost?
IamMT12/12/2019 10:50

Is that per night or total cost?

Total cost is £129.20 but I will probably get breakfast for £152 as it is an awkward location to get nearby food
MR112312/12/2019 10:35

£126 docklands ibis LinkEdit:sorry it looks like prices goes up once you …£126 docklands ibis LinkEdit:sorry it looks like prices goes up once you click through the site.

Your link is for IBIS but price seems to be like £170?

Also do you think breakfast at IBIS LCA is worth the £20? Seems like an awkward location to get food so may just get brekkie there
trojanh12/12/2019 10:54

Total cost is £129.20 but I will probably get breakfast for £152 as it is a …Total cost is £129.20 but I will probably get breakfast for £152 as it is an awkward location to get nearby food

RIghto, I don't think I can find anything cheaper.
IamMT12/12/2019 10:56

RIghto, I don't think I can find anything cheaper.

Is Airbnb or other place worth it? My friend may come along, Twin room is the same price. I want to book a Double room and if he comes, change it to a twin... but not sure if the 'advance saver rate' allows me to change room type.
trojanh12/12/2019 10:57

Is Airbnb or other place worth it? My friend may come along, Twin room is …Is Airbnb or other place worth it? My friend may come along, Twin room is the same price. I want to book a Double room and if he comes, change it to a twin... but not sure if the 'advance saver rate' allows me to change room type.

I doubt you'll get anything cheaper on AirBnB and the extras always inflate the price - never mind the inconvenient check in/out times. Advance rates are usually fixed, but reception usually try & accommodate people in my experience.
trojanh12/12/2019 10:55

Your link is for IBIS but price seems to be like £170?Also do you think …Your link is for IBIS but price seems to be like £170?Also do you think breakfast at IBIS LCA is worth the £20? Seems like an awkward location to get food so may just get brekkie there

They take off 20% at checkout which makes it £136 I think. There's a halal subway 7mins walk. Link
Do you have a car?
MR112312/12/2019 11:08

They take off 20% at checkout which makes it £136 I think. There's a …They take off 20% at checkout which makes it £136 I think. There's a halal subway 7mins walk. LinkDo you have a car?

Oh I see, I rang IBIS and they said LCA was halal. £152 incl breakfast (4 nights) so I think I will go with them. I do drive but won't be taking my car up to london (6 hour drive lol)
Edited by: "trojanh" 12th Dec 2019
Use hotels.com to pay over 3 instalments
If you will go to Brick Lane a couple of times you might find the Whitechapel location more convinient as you can walk to Brick Lane and there are loads of cheap food places around there.

Bit of a pain to get to the Excel but its a short walk to Shadwell DLR and then get a Beckton-bound DLR train to Custom House for Excel.

Bear in mind from City Airport there is no sensible route to Excel despite it being close by, there is no public transport easily connecting the Ibis Budget and Excel, you would need to walk to City Airport, catch the DLR to Canning Town and then change to get the DLR back out to Custom House for Excel. Or do the 20 minute walk from the hotel to Excel.
Might be worth checking Quidco and TCB, various booking sites are listed there, may give you a bit of cashback if you're a member.
jon81uk12/12/2019 12:25

If you will go to Brick Lane a couple of times you might find the …If you will go to Brick Lane a couple of times you might find the Whitechapel location more convinient as you can walk to Brick Lane and there are loads of cheap food places around there.Bit of a pain to get to the Excel but its a short walk to Shadwell DLR and then get a Beckton-bound DLR train to Custom House for Excel.Bear in mind from City Airport there is no sensible route to Excel despite it being close by, there is no public transport easily connecting the Ibis Budget and Excel, you would need to walk to City Airport, catch the DLR to Canning Town and then change to get the DLR back out to Custom House for Excel. Or do the 20 minute walk from the hotel to Excel.

I have just asked my friend and they said that from Ibis LCA you just walk under the bridge to get to Excel... it is still only a 10-15m walk? They lived there and did that walk daily.
trojanh13/12/2019 09:15

I have just asked my friend and they said that from Ibis LCA you just walk …I have just asked my friend and they said that from Ibis LCA you just walk under the bridge to get to Excel... it is still only a 10-15m walk? They lived there and did that walk daily.

Yeah I don't think the walk would be that bad, just wanted to highlight that there isn't an easy public transport option as not everyone wants to walk or are comfortable walking in an unfamiliar area. Also if you do want to head closer into the city then would need to walk to the DLR station and get the train in.
Whereas staying at the Whitechapel Ibis you are closer to shops and the district line is close-by making it quicker to get into the city if you wanted to.
jon81uk13/12/2019 09:40

Yeah I don't think the walk would be that bad, just wanted to highlight …Yeah I don't think the walk would be that bad, just wanted to highlight that there isn't an easy public transport option as not everyone wants to walk or are comfortable walking in an unfamiliar area. Also if you do want to head closer into the city then would need to walk to the DLR station and get the train in.Whereas staying at the Whitechapel Ibis you are closer to shops and the district line is close-by making it quicker to get into the city if you wanted to.

Yeah true, don't really mind either, just Whitechapel is £50 more and doesn't seem worth it when its just a few day.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions