Expired

Booking children as adults with Thomas Cook Holiday.

Found 14th Nov 2014
Hi

Has anyone booked holiday (self catering accomodation + flights) with thomas cook and put children as adults to get a better price?
Does the wrong date of birth not affecting the flight ticket details?

Iam not worried about the accomodation, I checked their prices and they charge the same for any combination of children/adults.
Community Updates
AskHolidays & LeisureBook
11 Comments
Don't get the question - why would you want to ? Of course it will affect the flight tickets - Adults need their own passport and when you have to do the API (Advance passenger information ) it'll be rejected - One Holiday up the swanee !
I don't understand?? if it's the same price, why do you need to change the children's DOB??
It's much cheaper to book it for 4 adults

This is how it works:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316845/We-charge-families-holiday-firms-finally-admit-Agents-charge-adults-children-grown-ups.html

They add an extra fee and I also noticed they apply a smaller discount

Edited by: "oleola" 14th Nov 2014
oleola

It's much cheaper to book it for 4 adults

The API wont go through as it'll differ from the info you've given Thomas Cook .
oleola

It's much cheaper to book it for 4 adultsThis is how it … It's much cheaper to book it for 4 adultsThis is how it works:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316845/We-charge-families-holiday-firms-finally-admit-Agents-charge-adults-children-grown-ups.htmlThey add an extra fee and I also noticed they apply a smaller discount

That article was published 18 months ago ! hopefully the pricing has been sorted now . Sadly the need to match your party members passports to the booking (when doing the API )will preclude kids going as adults .
Edited by: "rogparki" 14th Nov 2014
rogparki

That article was published 18 months ago ! hopefully the pricing has been … That article was published 18 months ago ! hopefully the pricing has been sorted now . Sadly the need to match your party members passports to the booking will preclude kids going as adults .

No, they didn't

I keep reading comments on HUKD that people have done it... maybe changed flight details for £35 per person...

Edited by: "oleola" 14th Nov 2014
oleola

No, they didn't :)I keep reading comments on HUKD that people have done … No, they didn't :)I keep reading comments on HUKD that people have done it... maybe changing flight details for £35 per person...

Cant really see how you can, When you submit the API - passport details have to match the passengers . I see what you mean -book the holiday for 4 adults (is it really still much cheaper ) . Then pay the money to change passenger details after booking , I get what you mean but would that work out cheaper ? and couldn't Thomas Cook just say "You're 2 adults and 2 kids now you owe us an extra £xxx ?

rogparki

Cant really see how you can, When you submit the API - passport details … Cant really see how you can, When you submit the API - passport details have to match the passengers . I see what you mean -book the holiday for 4 adults (is it really still much cheaper ) . Then pay the money to change passenger details after booking , I get what you mean but would that work out cheaper ? and couldn't Thomas Cook just say "You're 2 adults and 2 kids now you owe us an extra £xxx ?

Rogparki - yes it still would be cheaper. But I don't want to take a risk

As mentioned before I know there are people doing it - I want to know how...
I usually do my own "hot deal" packages, but this time I found a good offer. But why it is almost 40% more expensive when you book 2 kids?
oleola

Rogparki - yes it still would be cheaper. But I don't want to take a risk … Rogparki - yes it still would be cheaper. But I don't want to take a risk As mentioned before I know there are people doing it - I want to know how...I usually do my own "hot deal" packages, but this time I found a good offer. But why it is almost 40% more expensive when you book 2 kids?

Can you post the holiday and lets see if we can get it cheaper not through thomas cook
I used to do all the bits separately through Travel Republic ,but over the last couple of years its been cheaper to book the whole thing with Thomas Cook, Thomson or Jet 2 .when they have deals on ( apart from this year when we booked a Thomas Cook holiday to Tenerife and they wanted £50 each for the transfer -a 20 Euro Taxi ride ! didn't take that bit ) .
Another thing I heard on Trip advisor is that you get a worse room /apartment when booking via a third party (Low Cost Hols ,Travel Republic etc) as they give their best rooms to the Big Tour operators and direct with the Hotel bookings , my experiences have borne that out .
Although we are two adults and don't travel with kids,or in the school hols , I do notice that air fares swing wildly (tried to work out when and why -but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it ) . All I've managed to work out is that they always go up in the last month , even though we've flown on a half empty plane that we paid £500 for a month before and was £850 a couple of days before the flight . I'm afraid I cant really help you but I'll have a look at it as its curious .
Maybe it might be best to contact Thomas Cook and refer them to that article and see what they have to say regarding the disparity in pricing . What you really need to know is from other people who do what you suggest and what if any problems they've had - Best of Luck
Edited by: "rogparki" 15th Nov 2014
We did this four years ago with Thomas Cook for a holiday to Mallorca when the kids were eight years old and six years. The holiday was two hundred pounds cheaper. I booked online and then went into store and told them I'd done it and they said it was fine and it was!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants