Groups

Booking holiday = debit or credit card?

Hi,
    Hoping someone can help.I'm about to book our family holiday and have the cash in the bank.I no longer have credit cards but was wondering if I'd be covered by insurance if I used a visa debit card? Or is it just credit cards that are covered?
    If so and I got my sister to book for me with her card (she isn't coming on the holiday), would I (and my hubby and kids) be covered on her insurance?
    Hope that makes sense???

9 Comments

sometimes although you should use a credit card

just credit card transactions over £100 that are covered. However there is a debit card scheme that some card issuers are members of that offer some protection but be aware it is not as comprehensive as the credit card cover.

have a look here news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

credit mate and pay credit with debit - gives you free insurance if anything goes wrong (this is not accident ins)

Original Poster

Wow quick responses!
    Thanks, rep to you all

janz70;7356469

credit mate and pay credit with debit - gives you free insurance if … credit mate and pay credit with debit - gives you free insurance if anything goes wrong (this is not accident ins)

+1 U da man (or da lady!)! Spot on advice.

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;7356464

just credit card transactions over £100 that are covered. However there … just credit card transactions over £100 that are covered. However there is a debit card scheme that some card issuers are members of that offer some protection but be aware it is not as comprehensive as the credit card cover. :)have a look here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/4082599.stm

According to that,I may be ok with my debit card as its visa.
    I'll phone Alliance and Leicester tomorrow.

Also note that credit card payment sometimes attracts extra % charge due to fee credit card companies charge companies. Worth checking as may be relevant.

Your rights are the same using either a visa debit or credit card. Its just not advertised and talked about so much.

This link here will give you the info and the option to avoid those extra charges that go with credit cards on some bookings.

which.co.uk/adv…jsp

Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone, cheers.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1826
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2494
      3. Cat Chat76734
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767394

See more discussions