Groups

Booking long haul flights

I'm flying to Canada in July 2017, then on to Asia and back to uk. Any opinions as to the best time to book flights for the cheapest prices? Times of year when airlines release deals?

6 Comments

There are lots of research online that will give you the best number of days before to buy but reality is no one really knows. On long haul flights we have booked early and got what we think was a great deal, closer to the departure date and prices are still the same. Also waited for last minute two years on the trot and price were the same as previous years.

I remember some research says book on a Tuesday as prices go up and down for the weekend, and remember if searching to clear cookies.

Best advice is to book what you are happy with and don't look again.

Admin

Agree with eslick- Also if you've fairly specific dates in mind it's handy to use price alerts on Skyscanner

I find matrix.itasoftware.com pretty useful for openjaw flights if booking a long time in advance, oh and Kayak and obviously HolidayPirates

Banned

You get answers on Head for Points homepage, there is for example stated with which airline
    you pay less taxes flying towards Nord America and Canada ( Virgin Airlines seems to be cheaper than British Airways after tax ), as well how to maximise your points on your rewards cards like British Airways Executive Club or Heathrow Rewards. Heathrow has for example a promotion running
    which says that you can collect a reward of 2500 Avios if you spend minimum 150 £ and so on.
    Raffles, who is running the page, will help you with advise if you contact him

I've read tickets are cheaper if you book from 4 to 6 months before departure but I don't think it's true for all airlines/destinations. I believe it's all to do with demand.

Original Poster

Yes, it's a bit hit and miss, I hoped people would have any ideas. Westjet have a flight from London to Toronto for £277 (plus £30 baggage on top), and this seems a really good price to me. I don't think prices can go much lower than that for that distance and the next band up is a couple of hundred more. I think I might book that now, but wait for the other flights until those prices come down as the other flights are currently around £500+ mark. The timetable for the rest is also more flexible so easier to play around with dates - Canada has to on one certain day. Thanks for advice.

WestJet, Air Transat and WOW (and sometimes Icelandair) are the main budget options for Canada. I'd agree that's a good price. Personally I'm not in favour of waiting and hoping things will get cheaper - the danger is that since Toronto isn't as frequent a destination compared to e.g. New York, there's a risk that the cheap flights could fill up.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047148
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767372
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2464
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)62482

See more discussions