Booking Return Virgin Atlantic Flight and only using it as a single ticket?

Found 14th Feb 2012
Currently it's £585 return or £1000 single. However I'm planning to stay in Japan for more than a year (thus unable to make the return flight as the ticket has to be used within 12 months)

virgin-atlantic.com/gb/…st-
fares/tokyo-lowest-fares.html

My question is:

Would I be charged extra if I did not make the return flight? (i.e would there be a no show charge for example?) I've talked to different virgin atlantic people and they've all given me different answers

Thanks

30 Comments

so virgin atlantic cant tell you i know i will ask hukd

If you don't turn up to your flight nothing will happen.

Could you not sell the return leg?

Original Poster

davver99

so virgin atlantic cant tell you i know i will ask hukd

Yes hukd is more qualified

Just do it. As long as you're legally allowed to stay in the country, thats fine.

Anything else you pay for and don't turn up to, they don't come back to charge extra:
Train ticket
Cinema

Original Poster

greg_68

Could you not sell the return leg?

Nope, it's non transferable

if youre a no show for return flight there will be no charges made to you

Ryanair are now charging you for not turning up to your flight.

I joke.
Edited by: "Mallinersha" 14th Feb 2012

Banned

loads of people miss return flights. Obviously you wont get charged for it as they sell it on anyway if possible and its cheaper on fuel!

I wouldn't be so sure about it not being an issue, I was on a holiday from hell once and was going to try and make my own way home via another airline. The airline I was with said they could charge me for not returning with them as I was breaking my contract.

Not sure if this was just BS and whether they'd actually stick to this though. I guess it's a win win for the airline as they could sell your seat again and get it paid for twice.

They cannot charge you for not turning up. Absolute rubbish. In any case, you can cite mitigation and they cannot hold you to such a condition (I doubt one exists). I used to do that all the time on trains as the return ticket was often cheaper than single and I only needed to travel one way.

That really is wrong that it is twice as much for a single as a return, why would that be?

They won't charge you :s Come on Common sense

greg_68

That really is wrong that it is twice as much for a single as a return, … That really is wrong that it is twice as much for a single as a return, why would that be?

It's all about having the plane full. They need to have the plane full otherwise their landing charges are a lot higher. That's why you get really cheap seats at the last minute during off-peak season, the'd rather pay you to get on that plane than pay a hefty landing fee. Apparently half-empty planes pay a punitive fee.

One of the reasons why BA no longer put on an extra-flight where they've over/double booked. In the old days, even if you were one passenger and you were booked on a plane and had arrived within check-in times but the plane was fully 'booked', BA would lay on a plane just for you. Sadly, not anymore.

^^^ that would make sense then, I never realised they were charged for under capacity aircraft. Makes sense though I suppose as less passengers is less revenue for the airport.

Single tickets are a lot of hassle for Travel Agents, Airline staff and immigration, so it usually carries a premium to buy one.

Go to hotjapanesedeals.jp and see if anyone is in a similar situation?

I've ditched the return legs many times (for the same reason of return being cheaper than single). There is no penalty. If you do it a lot then the airline may crack down on you but I don't think you're at risk of that.

Think you would be OK, however............. Euro Tunnel will charge you if you don't turn up for the return leg of a hop across the channel (or they certainly used to).
When I imported a car ~10 years ago a single was £125 or a day return was £40. What a con.

If you miss the return flight, you miss it. Nothing else will happen.
Make sure you have the right visas etc and have a great trip.

tpol

They cannot charge you for not turning up. Absolute rubbish. In any case, … They cannot charge you for not turning up. Absolute rubbish. In any case, you can cite mitigation and they cannot hold you to such a condition (I doubt one exists). I used to do that all the time on trains as the return ticket was often cheaper than single and I only needed to travel one way.

I doubt they would charge you OP. However I would say not completing a return journey on a train is different, as there is no requirement to check in before boarding a train, there is no passenger list, etc.

Certainly the cross channel ferry operators charge you if you use a return as a single.

I would get an answer from Virgin Atlantic in writing to clarify matters.

I know that Ryanair don't charge, but that is because, technically you buy 2 singles on Ryanair.

Banned

if you dont use the return leg you can apply for a refund of the airport taxes

same goes for any flights you dont use

The fares detailed above are for outbound travel on selected dates:
a. Round trips are permitted.
b. Round trips where the destination of the outward sector and the departure point of the return sector differ are permitted.
c. One way trips are not permitted. ha!
d. Trips including sectors on airlines other than Virgin Atlantic including codeshares are not permitted.
e. Stopovers and open-date returns are not permitted.

Nothing will happen,they cannot charge you anything,I have done this loads of times.

Enjoy your trip.

Banned

great-deals

The fares detailed above are for outbound travel on selected dates:a. … The fares detailed above are for outbound travel on selected dates:a. Round trips are permitted. b. Round trips where the destination of the outward sector and the departure point of the return sector differ are permitted. c. One way trips are not permitted. ha!d. Trips including sectors on airlines other than Virgin Atlantic including codeshares are not permitted.e. Stopovers and open-date returns are not permitted.

you do realise thats telling you that you cant get that fare one way it has to be a return?

It wont be a problem, done it a few times never took the return and ive also booked flights both ways and never turned up at all. Last year i booked a single flight the night before, next day i thought...dont want to go so left it at that, nothing has ever come of the 3 scenario's and ive done it a fair few times... Looking back ive wasted alot of money over the years..oh well
For this year i have got Canada pre booked, spain looking into, booking Germany today or tmra for beer festival and possibly morocco in march im sure il screw the spain holiday up again.. Been twice booked 4 times in total

Nothing happens if you dont turn up for the return.
However, you cant use the return if you havent used the outbound.....sometimes it could be cheaper to buy 2 return journeys but airlines got wise and can refuse entry if you havent used the outbound leg of the ticket

We often do this as its cheaper. You don't need to use the return.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh89/thesaint01/pics%20for%20forum/holy_necroposting_batman.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants