Boosters that work with Sky Q

Found 28th Oct 2017
Does anyone recommend any wifi boosters that work with Sky Q? i have a mini box that won't connect to the main hub or router because of a single thick garage wall. I have a set of power line adapters which connect it currently, but these were intended for use on my PS4.

I bought a powerline plug that is supposed to act as a WiFi extender, but these wouldn't work with Sky Q.

frustrated because the old multiroom was wired in and less messing around. annoyed the installer didn't mention this at install (he didn't install the mini box - can see why now). I am reluctant to pay sky another £40 for their booster.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Is the internal powerline connection on the q mini working yet ?
kester761 m ago

Is the internal powerline connection on the q mini working yet ?

What's that?
feeder164 m ago

What's that?

Sky Q is suppose to have a powerline feature built in which means it uses the mains power to provide a network connection.

Had it installed yesterday but while the main box said it was enabled, the mini boxes didn't.

I've heard that apparently it's still not officially supported, might be worth contacting Sky over this.

Another option may be to manually add your own powerline.
The powerline fetaure has to be enabled indidually on each box.

Router:

Open browswer and type 192.168.0.1 in address bar

Locate the 'Powerline' tab ear the top of the page and click

Login with Admin and Sky as username and password

When the page loads, enable powerline and press save if required

Main + Mini Q boxes:

Press 'Home' button on remote

Scroll down to settings (but do not press anything)

Type 0001 and press the 'Select/ok' button on the remote

This will bring up the hidden settings menu, from here select network, and enable the powerline feature.

Don't forget to scroll down and press 'Save' at the bottom

A quick look online line I found this for the mini boxe, worth a go??
I've spoken to sky this evening. After going round the houses they tried offering their booster 'at cost' for £40. I asked them why they're cheaper on Amazon and if they use Rolls Royce parts if they cost £40 to make. In the end up I found out that had the installer installed it themselves rather than just leaving me to sort, they would have given me a booster free of charge. But because I'm requesting after the fact it's £40, after much arguing and threats of canceling the multiroom aspect they have agreed to come out to Thursday to check my connection and supply a booster free of charge (if required)
feeder1620 m ago

I've spoken to sky this evening. After going round the houses they tried …I've spoken to sky this evening. After going round the houses they tried offering their booster 'at cost' for £40. I asked them why they're cheaper on Amazon and if they use Rolls Royce parts if they cost £40 to make. In the end up I found out that had the installer installed it themselves rather than just leaving me to sort, they would have given me a booster free of charge. But because I'm requesting after the fact it's £40, after much arguing and threats of canceling the multiroom aspect they have agreed to come out to Thursday to check my connection and supply a booster free of charge (if required)

Better to use ethernet than use boosters as they're a lot more reliable.
kester768 h, 16 m ago

Better to use ethernet than use boosters as they're a lot more reliable.

Everyone knows this, people dont want wires trailing everywhere
jb662 h, 0 m ago

Everyone knows this, people dont want wires trailing everywhere

Most people don't realise that you can run network cables like an aerial cable outside your house or replace internal aerial cables with them.
kester768 h, 5 m ago

Most people don't realise that you can run network cables like an aerial …Most people don't realise that you can run network cables like an aerial cable outside your house or replace internal aerial cables with them.

People realise but still don’t really want wires all outside their house
Dannyrobbo50 m ago

People realise but still don’t really want wires all outside their house

You already have cables for TV, SAT, Phone already. What's one more cable ?
I'll be honest, had the installer offered to cable it all up (like the old multiroom). I would have been happy.

What I disagree with, is pay loads of money myself to get their kit to work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants