Found 13th Oct 2016
I've just installed a pm961 m.2 ssd and have cloned my hdd onto it. I've then selected the new ssd as #1 in the boot list but windows is still booting from the old drive. is there anything else I can do?
thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

Hey,

1. If you cloned it, then how can you tell its not booting from the M2 drive?
2. Disconnect the other drive to force it to boot the M2.

If its still not booting:
3. Install an OS from scratch on the M2. I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with M2 drives and being bootable. If you are doing a drive clone of a SATA drive, it may be a protocol issue that would be resolved when you scratch install your OS.

You could also try EASY BCD to reconfigure the MBR on the M2 drive.

Hope this helps.
Edited by: "Grubbnuts" 13th Oct 2016

Original Poster

thanks, was going to remove the old hdd if nothing else worked, just didn't want to open up the laptop again if possible

Original Poster

1: the windows logo is still showing on the c drive and it won't let me format because it was using it as os

C is boot drive. Regardless of which physical drive it is..

Like other said. Remove the old Drive to check. Sounds like it probably is booting from the M2. Does the system seem quicker?

Original Poster

krisward7955

Like other said. Remove the old Drive to check. Sounds like it probably … Like other said. Remove the old Drive to check. Sounds like it probably is booting from the M2. Does the system seem quicker?

​so it would appear I am a spoon. the system had automatically relabelled m.2 as c drive, no wonder it booted so quick. thanks for all your help everyone
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Add one, leave one game54415416
    2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)70561
    3. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861868
    4. word association Game74244894

See more discussions