Booting windows 7 fresh into new hdd

Found 7th Sep 2017
hey up gang, I've just had HP come out and change my laptop HDD, bit now i have no OS. i have a windows 7 dvd to install but i cant get to a screen where i can install it.

i have am just recovering from a 3F0 failure, and everyone i get to the below screen, it just restarts and goes through the same cycle. do i need to change the boot sequence to boot from CD drive? or something else?
2784293-qcea0.jpgthanks in advance
2784293.jpg2784293-qlS21.jpg2784293-vcO4p.jpg2784293-eZkoS.jpg

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments

Yep

Press F10 key a few times during boot up to enter bios and go from there. Or failing that F2 or maybe delete, but I think HP it's F10.

You don't give the model but I would try using the boot menu first

support.hp.com/us-…326

Reseting bios to default would probably also work
Edited by: "4Real2016" 7th Sep 2017

Original Poster

Sorry for that, i have a HP probook 450 g3.

I've tried but to be honest either have no idea what I'm doing or it's not very straight forward. I have no idea how to change the boot sequence :-(

Original Poster

Thanks for the link 4real2016, i wished my boot menu looked like that! Even i could figure that 1 out... :-(

As it's windows 7 try selecting Legacy DVDRW on the boot menu.

As above, windows 7 doesn't support uefi because it's old. Not sure why you're crippling the poor thing with windows 7 though

When you post up a picture, right click on the picture and then click 'Rotate right'

I’m no expert but if you want to change the boot sequence to boot from CD drive the procedure is:

Start the computer and press one of these keys (ESC, F1, F2, F8 or F10) during the initial startup screen. (It could be any one of them depending on the model)

Choose to enter BIOS setup. ...

Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab. ...

To give a CD or DVD drive boot sequence priority over the hard drive, move it to the first position in the list.

The computer should then boot from your Windows 7 disc.

kester7615 h, 1 m ago

As above, windows 7 doesn't support uefi because it's old. Not sure why …As above, windows 7 doesn't support uefi because it's old. Not sure why you're crippling the poor thing with windows 7 though

Yeah 64bit does, just selecting UEFI on the boot menu should work.
Pandray14 h, 19 m ago

I’m no expert but if you want to change the boot sequence to boot from CD d …I’m no expert but if you want to change the boot sequence to boot from CD drive the procedure is: Start the computer and press one of these keys (ESC, F1, F2, F8 or F10) during the initial startup screen. (It could be any one of them depending on the model) Choose to enter BIOS setup. ... Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab. ... To give a CD or DVD drive boot sequence priority over the hard drive, move it to the first position in the list.The computer should then boot from your Windows 7 disc.

You don't have to change the boot order when you have a boot menu.

Original Poster

kester7615 h, 3 m ago

As above, windows 7 doesn't support uefi because it's old. Not sure why …As above, windows 7 doesn't support uefi because it's old. Not sure why you're crippling the poor thing with windows 7 though

it came with 7 on it and i prefer 7 to various versions of 8 and 10. besides, without an OS installed and the disc not booting up, theres nothing other than the UEFI diagnostics and bios on it.

Original Poster

Pandray14 h, 22 m ago

I’m no expert but if you want to change the boot sequence to boot from CD d …I’m no expert but if you want to change the boot sequence to boot from CD drive the procedure is: Start the computer and press one of these keys (ESC, F1, F2, F8 or F10) during the initial startup screen. (It could be any one of them depending on the model) Choose to enter BIOS setup. ... Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab. ... To give a CD or DVD drive boot sequence priority over the hard drive, move it to the first position in the list.The computer should then boot from your Windows 7 disc.

i always thought that too, but it doesnt work. maybe its because i have a dell windows cd?> the ebay listing says the product works on any laptop or desktop, then i get the cd and it says its a reinstallation cd for dell machines ffs..... i should have paid more attention to that before bcoming excited and bundling it in the machine.

4Real20161 h, 33 m ago

Yeah 64bit does, just selecting UEFI on the boot menu should work.You …Yeah 64bit does, just selecting UEFI on the boot menu should work.You don't have to change the boot order when you have a boot menu.

Is that the same for ultimate ?

FTOdude1701 h, 35 m ago

it came with 7 on it and i prefer 7 to various versions of 8 and 10. …it came with 7 on it and i prefer 7 to various versions of 8 and 10. besides, without an OS installed and the disc not booting up, theres nothing other than the UEFI diagnostics and bios on it.

I would jump to windows 10 as it's a lot easier to use and it doesn't go nuts like a fat kid with cake and copy every .DLL file its greedy hands come across.

Original Poster

oh right... lol is there a free upgrade to 10 iirc?

FTOdude1702 h, 33 m ago

i always thought that too, but it doesnt work. maybe its because i have a …i always thought that too, but it doesnt work. maybe its because i have a dell windows cd?> the ebay listing says the product works on any laptop or desktop, then i get the cd and it says its a reinstallation cd for dell machines ffs..... i should have paid more attention to that before bcoming excited and bundling it in the machine.

Everything I've read seems to say you have to disable Secure Boot for win 7 install, and possibly it needs to be a retail copy if you use UEFI. If you have a valid product key you can download a copy of win 7 direct from MS.

I would reset BIOS to it's defaults, and make sure Secure Boot is disabled.

microsoft.com/en-…ws7

kester761 h, 3 m ago

Is that the same for ultimate ?

I would imagine so.

FTOdude1701 h, 4 m ago

oh right... lol is there a free upgrade to 10 iirc?

Yep, supposed to be valid still for accessibility.
pcgamer.com/you…le/
Worth getting as it fixes a lot of issues with 7.

Install win10 and then install classic shell to make it feel and look like win7 click, it takes 15 secs to do, if you don't like then just uninstall (which you won't). Your win7 key will activate win10.
You can burn win10 from here click.

Or if you really wanted to persist with win7 then boot up your laptop press F12 (or whatever HP equivalent) for one time boot sequence and choose CD/DVD.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 8th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions