BOOTS - A KICK TO THE TEETH OF CONSUMERS

Posted 30th Nov
So I'm browsing Christmas gifts for my SO, and I come upon a deal posted on boots.com which I think is very very misleading and constitutes fraud. So I'm just sharing this.

On their website boots.com they have for sale "Lancôme Christmas Skincare and Makeup Blockbuster" for sale at £178.50 RRP £210.

On their competitor sites johnlewis.com the same set is sold as "Lancôme Beauty Box Gift Set" at £56 RRP £70.

An alternative site harrods.com sells this product as "Lancôme Beauty Box Gift Set at £70.

The price being sold at Boots is over inflated and is marketed as an excellent price. There is an offer which let's customers buy the Lancome set retailing at £178.50 after buying £40 of qualifying Lancome products for £70.

The nature of how it presents this offer and the price it lists is fraudulent and not following business trading standards.

So in theory those who are silly enough to buy the set for the sale price of £178.50 have just lost £100.50. That's twice the retail price of its competitors. Secondly those who are buying lancome products in order to qualify for the retail price offer of £70 for the box set have now spend a minium of £110.

This is clearly misselling and also fradaulent. Anyway I didn't buy it but some people don't check the items they buy.

We are not talking about a small company, this is a big company with many stores and branches in the UK.
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Looks like a job for watchdog
Well spotted! The price difference is extreme! I always assume the Boots deals are pretty good. It’s good to be aware. Thanks for posting
Is it the same set, you haven't put any links ?
makemakemaker30/11/2019 23:20

I reported it though I doubt any action from it. However when I was on …I reported it though I doubt any action from it. However when I was on Boots it shows you how many times the item has been sold or how many times people visited the page.Just now there was 23 purchased in the last hour. Whether through combination of purchases of £40 qualifying lancome products to get the item for £70 or a one off purchase of £178.50. Someone can do the maths.I think it's not on. This was only one hour of sales, how long this offer has been live or will last, well.

Thank you for bringing it to the attention of this forum. This is what this place is all about.
Some less savvy shoppers may see this and save them money.
If you have saved one person from buying this at boots you have made a positive contribution to this site.
29 Comments
Quote: The nature of how it presents this offer and the price it lists is fraudulent and not following business trading standards.

Why? All businesses do this. I bet if you look at the majority of retailers you could find a similar sort of 'issue'.
CLEARLY NOT MISSELLING you take your chance you pay your money? love the "fradaulent" quote also take it to court if you think they are doing something illegal,i dint rate your chances!!!
Edited by: "jamstaruk1972" 30th Nov
Azwipe30/11/2019 23:07

It does indeed look the same. This is the picture of the Boots set:
39210882-bD9HN.jpg

Although note that it is on sale for £70 when you buy £40 of Lancome products.

And here is the John Lewis one for £56 (though it doesn’t seem to mention a RRP)
39210882-2p8jE.jpg
Looks like a job for watchdog
I reported it though I doubt any action from it. However when I was on Boots it shows you how many times the item has been sold or how many times people visited the page.

Just now there was 23 purchased in the last hour. Whether through combination of purchases of £40 qualifying lancome products to get the item for £70 or a one off purchase of £178.50. Someone can do the maths.

I think it's not on. This was only one hour of sales, how long this offer has been live or will last, well.
Edited by: "makemakemaker" 30th Nov

I reported it though I doubt any action from it. However when I was on …I reported it though I doubt any action from it. However when I was on Boots it shows you how many times the item has been sold or how many times people visited the page.Just now there was 23 purchased in the last hour. Whether through combination of purchases of £40 qualifying lancome products to get the item for £70 or a one off purchase of £178.50. Someone can do the maths.I think it's not on. This was only one hour of sales, how long this offer has been live or will last, well.

Those figures aren't necessarily live, and in reality only way to know would be a Freedom of Info request.
Have you considered approaching Boots on social media to see what they say??

I find this shocking too. Just ripping people off.
Well spotted! The price difference is extreme! I always assume the Boots deals are pretty good. It’s good to be aware. Thanks for posting

Thank you for bringing it to the attention of this forum. This is what this place is all about.
Some less savvy shoppers may see this and save them money.
If you have saved one person from buying this at boots you have made a positive contribution to this site.
csa130/11/2019 23:26

Those figures aren't necessarily live, and in reality only way to know …Those figures aren't necessarily live, and in reality only way to know would be a Freedom of Info request.Have you considered approaching Boots on social media to see what they say??

I'm probably like everyone else on here. I'm a normal person and not someone they take notice off. Neither do I have 20,000 followers on Twitter.

I didn't buy it. I just felt bad for people who did and were misled to buy it. £100.50 is a lot of money and so is the minimum spend of £110 to get the qualifying offer to buy it for £70.

For the same price a deal posted here for 3 night holiday with flights for two at a certain place was £70-80.
So you are getting the set for £70 and John Lewis are selling for £70- 20% = £56. It's all just marketing, nothing wrong here. If Boots want to sell a £70 item for £178.50 that is perfectly legal.
In other news, amazon don't pay taxes.

Also,
39211218-aIIG6.jpg
Also, Saudi government openly lied about Khashoggi's murder, backtracked, and we're still selling weapons to them as if they are good guys.

Finally, epstein didn't kill himself.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 30th Nov
'Just now there was 23 purchased in the last hour'

Our website also states 'nearly gone', when there's thousands in the warehouse. I think George in the office is in charge of how many it states have been purchased.. sometimes he even writes reviews for product on his lunch break, the cheeky blighter!
@makemakemaker

I’m not defending boots in any way but perhaps that hugely inflated rrp is the cost of the items if bought individually rather than as a set.

This thread is a good reminder not to take offers at face value and do your own research a simple quick google usually does the trick.

Many Black Friday deals I saw been pushed by various retailers where available significantly cheaper elsewhere.

Always check before you buy.
Not illegal, but certainly questionable practice.

Much like the 'Sale' requirements. Only has to be sold in one store at the higher price previous to the sale. So a retailer can have 200 stores and sell an egg timer (for example) in one store for £20 - they won't sell any obviously, but £2 on the other stores and sell a few. Come sale time they advertise it in all stores as reduced from £20 to £5, a 75% saving. And sell loads. Perfectly legal.

Shop around, which you've wisely done, and spread the word again which you've wisely done.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 1st Dec
It’s not illegal nor fraud.

It’s more than likely they are merely ‘Price Establishing’. Every retailer in the land does this. Keep an on the Boots price - it’s likely to drop.
Why is everything 'fraudulent' these days? What happened to plain and simple ripping people off.
What's 'SO'?
Is it a glitch? Lol. Didn't expect that from boots
myusernamehasgone23401/12/2019 02:47

@makemakemaker I’m not defending boots in any way but perhaps that hugely i …@makemakemaker I’m not defending boots in any way but perhaps that hugely inflated rrp is the cost of the items if bought individually rather than as a set.This thread is a good reminder not to take offers at face value and do your own research a simple quick google usually does the trick.Many Black Friday deals I saw been pushed by various retailers where available significantly cheaper elsewhere. Always check before you buy.

Exactly this. Although it’s very poor for the rrp, Estee Lauder’s Blockbuster is well worth the price you can get it for when you purchase the required items.
Edited by: "maccy1i" 1st Dec
deeky01/12/2019 09:12

What's 'SO'?

I think it’s “Sexy Orangutan”
SO is significant other. Bit like those awful DD, DH, DS darling daughter, darling husband, darling son ones!

Isn't it 'a kick in the teeth', not 'to the teeth'?
JimboParrot01/12/2019 09:24

SO is significant other. Bit like those awful DD, DH, DS darling …SO is significant other. Bit like those awful DD, DH, DS darling daughter, darling husband, darling son ones!

Try The dibb for that. I can only browse for 10 mins at a time before I get nauseous
csa130/11/2019 23:26

Those figures aren't necessarily live, and in reality only way to know …Those figures aren't necessarily live, and in reality only way to know would be a Freedom of Info request.

Which wouldnt work as they are not a public body and so do not have to disclose the info.
I read as far as "So"
Do yourself a favour and never read beyond "So"

No good ever comes of it.
Edited by: "Make.Amazon.Great.Again" 1st Dec
The great thing about the internet is you can price-check and research at your leisure. Surely that's what most people do?

The sensationalist subject line is a bit much.
JimboParrot01/12/2019 09:24

SO is significant other. Bit like those awful DD, DH, DS darling …SO is significant other. Bit like those awful DD, DH, DS darling daughter, darling husband, darling son ones!Isn't it 'a kick in the teeth', not 'to the teeth'?

"Fur baby" is the one that makes me cringe.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants