Expired

Boots has recalled 'faux fur' hairpins from shelves, after it was found they were actually made of real fur.

Found 17th Jan
If you are a fan of faux fur, and have ethical reasons for not buying the real deal you might just want to check that you haven't actually been buying the real thing.

"Boots has recalled 'faux fur' hairpins from shelves, after it was found they were actually made of real fur.

An earlier investigation found that products across the high street and online marketed as faux fur actually contained fur from angora rabbits and racoons, which campaigners say are skinned alive to produce the product.

Retailers including TK Maxx, House of Fraser and Missguided were found to be selling real fur labelled as faux fur. All these shops blamed their suppliers, and immediately recalled the products when notified.

Faux fur or real fur? | How to tell the difference
  • Separate the fur and look at the base. Real fur is attached to skin, whereas faux fur is attached to mesh or threaded fabric.
  • Look at the tips of the hairs. Real animal hairs taper to a fine point, unless they have been sheared or cut. Faux fur, in contrast, usually has blunt ends.
  • If you already own the item, do a burn test. Remove a few hairs, use tweezers to hold them over a non-flammable surface and ignite them with a match or lighter. Burning animal hair smells like burning human hair, and fake fur generally smells like melting plastic when set alight.
  • Peta recommends that if you think you have been sold real fur mislabelled as faux fur, contact the retailer immediately, and also contact your local Trading Standards office which may investigate the retailer for unfair trading."

Source - The Telegraph
Faux fur' products made of real fur, it emerges as Boots pulls accessories from shelves
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Oh faux furs sake
9 Comments
"Peta recommends that if you think you have been sold real fur mislabelled as faux fur, contact the retailer immediately, and also contact your local Trading Standards office which may investigate the retailer for unfair trading."

This has to be the first and only time I could ever agree with those clowns.
Oh faux furs sake
I remember a story about knock off Ugg boots from China, supposedly dogs and other such animals are alot cheaper than producing fake fur.
deleted1416210Original Poster
catbeans44 m ago

I remember a story about knock off Ugg boots from China, supposedly dogs …I remember a story about knock off Ugg boots from China, supposedly dogs and other such animals are alot cheaper than producing fake fur.

It wouldn't surprise me at all, Misguided were selling shoes made from cats.
I think your correct with what you say about the costs too....
The mind boggles sometimes...... We really are an odd species.
yet the hypocrites are happy to wear their leather shoes, prance around with a leather handbag and wear makeup tested on animals
Probably Made in China, give you real stuff when you asked for fake.
eset123455 m ago

yet the hypocrites are happy to wear their leather shoes, prance around …yet the hypocrites are happy to wear their leather shoes, prance around with a leather handbag and wear makeup tested on animals

Alright Peta calm down.
I would've doubled the price
I heard a rumour it was made from pubic hair.

* I've just started that rumour
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants