Bored of SKY tv, any recommendations???

Found 28th Jan
We pay a decent price for sky but today after looking through what the channels have to offer we feel whats the point any more.....
So when sky is up i will be packing in the pay monthly TV companies so my question is can any one recommend a good TV recorder box (i don’t quite know the lingo...)
We basically are happy with free view just want the hd channels and a good hard drive (youtube didn’t help much for recommendations)
THANK YOU
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
24 Comments
Have you considered Netflix, nowtv or amazon prime?
What about Freesat HD? You already have the dish as well.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito49 m ago

Have you considered Netflix, nowtv or amazon prime?

Yeah sorry i didnt think to add i have netflix and amazon, its more for the mrs as she likes to record crap programmes so must have a freeview box that records, i typed them in to amazon but came up with so many different results “/
Torrents :-)
Original Poster
jamstaruk197238 m ago

https://www.freeview.co.uk/get-freeview/play-products#cCwytlZifmJH7A4D.97

Ahhhhhhh awesome thank you
willyzippy8912 m ago

Yeah sorry i didnt think to add i have netflix and amazon, its more for …Yeah sorry i didnt think to add i have netflix and amazon, its more for the mrs as she likes to record crap programmes so must have a freeview box that records, i typed them in to amazon but came up with so many different results “/

Humax freesat boxes aren’t bad (get the recordable one) and will plug into your satellite cable to get freeview HD via your existing dish.

Something like a Roku box which will allow you to play iplayer, 4od, 5od, itv player, nowtv, Netflix and prime plus more might also be worthwhile too (these don’t record but pretty much everything is on those apps these days).
willyzippy8941 m ago

Ahhhhhhh awesome thank you

look on ebay or your local gumtree 1st to get a good deal,sainsburys also tend to have these sometimes as technoligy improves
Edited by: "jamstaruk1972" 28th Jan
If you have a decent aeriel, Humax dtr t2000. £80+ on eBay. All the FReeview channels including HD. All the players. Fast interface. And Youview, regarded as best interface alongside Sky. You won’t regret buying one, but you do need a wired connection to your router
IPTV.... check out the IPTV thread on here
pgmbrum5 h, 21 m ago

If you have a decent aeriel, Humax dtr t2000. £80+ on eBay. All the …If you have a decent aeriel, Humax dtr t2000. £80+ on eBay. All the FReeview channels including HD. All the players. Fast interface. And Youview, regarded as best interface alongside Sky. You won’t regret buying one, but you do need a wired connection to your router

Dtr-t2100 is better and only £50 from cex with a 2 year warranty

Brilliant freeview pvrs with all the catch up services, Netflix and now tv

No need to pay through the nose for tv these days
Just keep your current box and get a freeview card for it?
Original Poster
Hallsie6 h, 31 m ago

Sky Q (which is poo for the price) so they take the box back after contract ends “/
Original Poster
pgmbrum15 h, 32 m ago

If you have a decent aeriel, Humax dtr t2000. £80+ on eBay. All the …If you have a decent aeriel, Humax dtr t2000. £80+ on eBay. All the FReeview channels including HD. All the players. Fast interface. And Youview, regarded as best interface alongside Sky. You won’t regret buying one, but you do need a wired connection to your router

Thanks for the advice but i don’t know what constitutes a good aerial??? We have a sky dish installed but have been using sky ever since we moved in to the property “/
Hallsie12 h, 21 m ago

No such thing. Sky offer a Freesat from Sky card which cost £25 offers only about five FTV channels (number is reducing) but does not offer recording facility, that is about £10 per month extra and anyway the OP's Sky card will be come a Freesat from Sky card if they are out of contact and not on Sky Q and the subscription has ended so £25 saved. However a Humax twin tuner Freesat recorder costs around £240 so after two years has effectively paid for itself where as the Sky recording option would still be ongoing. As the OP has Sky Q, the Humax Freesat is the most likey solution.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 29th Jan
Original Poster
OBH6UK25 m ago

No such thing. Sky offer a Freesat from Sky card which cost £25 offers …No such thing. Sky offer a Freesat from Sky card which cost £25 offers only about five FTV channels (number is reducing) but does not offer recording facility, that is about £10 per month extra and anyway the OP's Sky card will be come a Freesat from Sky card if they are out of contact and not on Sky Q and the subscription has ended so £25 saved. However a Humax twin tuner Freesat recorder costs around £240 so after two years has effectively paid for itself where as the Sky recording option would still be ongoing. As the OP has Sky Q, the Humax Freesat is the most likey solution.

I was looking to pay around £250 as you said it pays for itself after 2 years, just looking at the humax the OS looks clunky “/
Buy top range tv and attach big storage usb and there's ur sky plus. You can attach sky cable into bk if these tvs and get alot of free to air channels
willyzippy897 h, 43 m ago

Thanks for the advice but i don’t know what constitutes a good aerial??? W …Thanks for the advice but i don’t know what constitutes a good aerial??? We have a sky dish installed but have been using sky ever since we moved in to the property “/

I suspect he just meant one that's in good condition and likely to work if you plug a box into it. If half the elements are missing and the rest are wonky it'd be sensible to factor in the cost of a replacement aerial.
chrismc200501 h, 0 m ago

Buy top range tv and attach big storage usb and there's ur sky plus. You …Buy top range tv and attach big storage usb and there's ur sky plus. You can attach sky cable into bk if these tvs and get alot of free to air channels

Provided you ever need to record one program when watching another.
willyzippy891 h, 31 m ago

I was looking to pay around £250 as you said it pays for itself after 2 …I was looking to pay around £250 as you said it pays for itself after 2 years, just looking at the humax the OS looks clunky “/

Humax are the most popular. They're very capable and work reliably, but their interface designers do often seem to have a strange set of priorities. Perfectly usable though.

My last couple of boxes have been Humax so I can't commend on the alternatives, but Panasonic and Manhattan both have models.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves18 m ago

I suspect he just meant one that's in good condition and likely to work if …I suspect he just meant one that's in good condition and likely to work if you plug a box into it. If half the elements are missing and the rest are wonky it'd be sensible to factor in the cost of a replacement aerial. Provided you ever need to record one program when watching another. Humax are the most popular. They're very capable and work reliably, but their interface designers do often seem to have a strange set of priorities. Perfectly usable though.My last couple of boxes have been Humax so I can't commend on the alternatives, but Panasonic and Manhattan both have models.

Any models you could recommend i look at? Thanks again
Virgin media TiVo v6. After subscription tv you will be disappointed with free view and equipment
Original Poster
OoEliteoO10 h, 23 m ago

Virgin media TiVo v6. After subscription tv you will be disappointed …Virgin media TiVo v6. After subscription tv you will be disappointed with free view and equipment

I would love to get virgin but they dont cover my area
Don't forget if you have Sky Q and a Sky dish another receiver probably wont work as Sky Q uses a propriety LNB with two outputs, unless a Hybrid LNB with six outputs was specified on install. If the LNB is the former and was defiantly for Sky Q it will need changing.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 30th Jan
Original Poster
OBH6UK21 m ago

Don't forget if you have Sky Q and a Sky dish another receiver probably …Don't forget if you have Sky Q and a Sky dish another receiver probably wont work as Sky Q uses a propriety LNB with two outputs, unless a Hybrid LNB with six outputs was specified on install. If the LNB is the former and was defiantly for Sky Q it will need changing.

Thanks for the heads up but i have NO IDEA what any of that means “/ lol
Have a look at the LNB, the bit on the end of the arm on the dish. If it has two outputs (defaulty Sky Q installation) it will probably need changing, if six outputs is should be OK with a Humax or another manufactures satellite receiver.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants