Boris Johnson daily TV conference currently live

Expert (Beta)101
Posted 16th MarEdited by:"myusernamehasgone234"
m.youtube.com/

Boris Johnson update after Cobra meeting

Coronavirus: Stay at home for 14 days if you live with someone who has a persistent cough, PM warns

news.sky.com/sto…164

• Boris Johnson giving his first daily televised news conference about the coronavirus
  • PM urges public to avoid pubs, restaurants and all non-essential travel
  • "Now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel," Mr Johnson warns
  • Britons told to stay at home for 14 days if they have a persistent cough or a high temperature - or live with someone who does
  • Schools are going to remain open for now - but this measure may be revisited at some point
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I think the reasoning behind not closing schools is that they are waiting for the upcoming easter holidays, and will tack an extra week on before and after, making it 3-4 weeks instead of 2. Most parents will have childcare arranged for the Easter break anyway so it will be case of just extending it. This will also probably coincide with the time we are asked to completely lockdown and all but essential services remain open.
Guess we’ll find out in the next week or so.
Absolute joke and contradictory as usual.

No social contact but schools to remain open?? So anyone with a kid in school is effectively having daily social contact with 30 other families each day.

And no social contact but pubs etc to stay open??

Seems pointless and unlikely to slow the spread much at all.
Guys...getting in early on this one...

Please use this as information and to discuss any advice you think you need to share from the press conference. This thread should stay but do not turn it into a political discussion.
Towelie16/03/2020 18:15

That makes it even worse then.Kid goes to school, mixes with at least 30 …That makes it even worse then.Kid goes to school, mixes with at least 30 other kids in their class, potentially 1000s in the whole school, public transport to school etc. Kid then goes home to family and then said family go to work the next day. That family could have isolated themselves as much as they like but the moment they go to work, they are then exposing all their colleagues to the potential 1000s their kids mixed with the previous day. Absolutely will not work. It might prop the economy up for a few weeks until the end of the fiscal/financial year (coincidence much??) but there will come a point where it will all come crashing down and infections sky rocket. I hope I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem very logical to me.

I think it is about doing it in stages which are proportionate to the consequences.

So if families follow guidelines and look after themselves it will help the rest of the society. What I mean is take personal hygiene seriously. Do not interact with others if you're displaying symptoms. Self isolate if you have been asked to.

If people think about others as well as themselves it lessens the immediate impact.

Once schools close that is it and the decision is made for good until the end of this pandemic. Parents will have to stay home. Businesses will fail. Most people cannot earn money. Key workers with children are taken off of frontline duties.

I do not think we can be adequately prepared for this at any stage but the longer we can keep the strain off the NHS I think we stand the best possible chance of helping those most vulnerable.

Definitely reasons for and against. On Thursday I was very much of the opinion schools should already have closed.
101 Comments
That's good... What about work 😃
Guys...getting in early on this one...

Please use this as information and to discuss any advice you think you need to share from the press conference. This thread should stay but do not turn it into a political discussion.
apur3216/03/2020 17:54

I’m not surewhat it will mean for those that work in Pubs, restaurants and so on.
Jason16/03/2020 17:56

Guys...getting in early on this one...Please use this as information and …Guys...getting in early on this one...Please use this as information and to discuss any advice you think you need to share from the press conference. This thread should stay but do not turn it into a political discussion.

Thanks @Jason
apur3216/03/2020 17:54

Advise is to immediately get a Job in a pub etc.
Generous holidays
Also to drink all beer that might go old.
Edited by: "adamderak" 16th Mar
Speaking to some teachers today, they are feeling under pressure and used as "babysitter's". But I think the parents will force the government's and schools hand by keeping them off.
I think my job will be on the line and hope this blows over soon ( unlikely ).
Absolute joke and contradictory as usual.

No social contact but schools to remain open?? So anyone with a kid in school is effectively having daily social contact with 30 other families each day.

And no social contact but pubs etc to stay open??

Seems pointless and unlikely to slow the spread much at all.
Do what you want . Ur guess is just as good as the next persons
what if u work in a pub and use a restaurant for your tea
Towelie16/03/2020 18:02

Absolute joke and contradictory as usual.No social contact but schools to …Absolute joke and contradictory as usual.No social contact but schools to remain open?? So anyone with a kid in school is effectively having daily social contact with 30 other families each day. And no social contact but pubs etc to stay open?? Seems pointless and unlikely to slow the spread much at all.

I guess if people are still needed to work then parents will seek grandparents for childcare. That could be disastrous.
They close the school's all hell is going to break lose .
Towelie16/03/2020 18:02

Absolute joke and contradictory as usual.No social contact but schools to …Absolute joke and contradictory as usual.No social contact but schools to remain open?? So anyone with a kid in school is effectively having daily social contact with 30 other families each day. And no social contact but pubs etc to stay open?? Seems pointless and unlikely to slow the spread much at all.

This is also my point. We have over 5000 secondary schools in England ( at least 1100 students each) which means around 12 million students and staff in all schools across England. How is it possible not to have social interaction when kids don't know the severity of this disease?.... Schools should have closed last week on Thursday like Ireland did.... Let's see whoes strategy works better... Ireland or here... Time will tell...
Jason16/03/2020 18:06

I guess if people are still needed to work then parents will seek …I guess if people are still needed to work then parents will seek grandparents for childcare. That could be disastrous.

Yes I believe that’s why school are remaining open for now so people are able to go to work.
apur3216/03/2020 18:08

This is also my point. We have over 5000 secondary schools in England ( at …This is also my point. We have over 5000 secondary schools in England ( at least 1100 students each) which means around 12 million students and staff in all schools across England. How is it possible not to have social interaction when kids don't know the severity of this disease?.... Schools should have closed last week on Thursday like Ireland did.... Let's see whoes strategy works better... Ireland or here... Time will tell...

I believe the spread in inevitably now this is simply to slow it down schools remaining open allows people to continue to work.
I think the reasoning behind not closing schools is that they are waiting for the upcoming easter holidays, and will tack an extra week on before and after, making it 3-4 weeks instead of 2. Most parents will have childcare arranged for the Easter break anyway so it will be case of just extending it. This will also probably coincide with the time we are asked to completely lockdown and all but essential services remain open.
Guess we’ll find out in the next week or so.
projextxuk_reviews16/03/2020 18:06

They close the school's all hell is going to break lose .

This. The kids & some parents will treat it as an extra holiday, how you going to keep them all in.
RadiatorRules16/03/2020 18:11

I think the reasoning behind not closing schools is that they are waiting …I think the reasoning behind not closing schools is that they are waiting for the upcoming easter holidays, and will tack an extra week on before and after, making it 3-4 weeks instead of 2. Most parents will have childcare arranged for the Easter break anyway so it will be case of just extending it. This will also probably coincide with the time we are asked to completely lockdown and all but essential services remain open. Guess we’ll find out in the next week or so.

This seems very logical and I suspect very likely to happen and extra long Easter holiday
Jason16/03/2020 18:06

I guess if people are still needed to work then parents will seek …I guess if people are still needed to work then parents will seek grandparents for childcare. That could be disastrous.

That makes it even worse then.

Kid goes to school, mixes with at least 30 other kids in their class, potentially 1000s in the whole school, public transport to school etc.

Kid then goes home to family and then said family go to work the next day.

That family could have isolated themselves as much as they like but the moment they go to work, they are then exposing all their colleagues to the potential 1000s their kids mixed with the previous day.

Absolutely will not work.

It might prop the economy up for a few weeks until the end of the fiscal/financial year (coincidence much??) but there will come a point where it will all come crashing down and infections sky rocket.

I hope I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem very logical to me.
richp16/03/2020 18:14

This. The kids & some parents will treat it as an extra holiday, how you …This. The kids & some parents will treat it as an extra holiday, how you going to keep them all in.

They may well update restrictions and force further closures so people do remain in.

That makes it even worse then.Kid goes to school, mixes with at least 30 …That makes it even worse then.Kid goes to school, mixes with at least 30 other kids in their class, potentially 1000s in the whole school, public transport to school etc. Kid then goes home to family and then said family go to work the next day. That family could have isolated themselves as much as they like but the moment they go to work, they are then exposing all their colleagues to the potential 1000s their kids mixed with the previous day. Absolutely will not work. It might prop the economy up for a few weeks until the end of the fiscal/financial year (coincidence much??) but there will come a point where it will all come crashing down and infections sky rocket. I hope I'm wrong, but it just doesn't seem very logical to me.

For most who catch this it will be a relatively mild infection and people should recover quickly and will be able to go back to work.

Staggering the number of people infected at one time appears to be governments plan.

This will also help the NHS be able to continue to treat those that are most vulnerable and require hospitalisation.
I know a few parents who have kept their children off school today.
However... The problem with Boris's conference today it was totally vague, ie leave you the british public to self police..., As 90% of the economy is consumer driven asking bars ,cafes, restaurants, theatres etc etc to close voluntarily is allowing the government off the hook because they cannot claim insurance , if he brings in measures to close, by order of the government they can claim for losses ie Force majeure"
theposter16/03/2020 18:25

I know a few parents who have kept their children off school today. …I know a few parents who have kept their children off school today. However... The problem with Boris's conference today it was totally vague, ie leave you the british public to self police..., As 90% of the economy is consumer driven asking bars ,cafes, restaurants, theatres etc etc to close voluntarily is allowing the government off the hook because they cannot claim insurance , if he brings in measures to close, by order of the government they can claim for losses ie Force majeure"

Bang on, its just like America, all about the economy/money instead on health.

I think the reasoning behind not closing schools is that they are waiting …I think the reasoning behind not closing schools is that they are waiting for the upcoming easter holidays, and will tack an extra week on before and after, making it 3-4 weeks instead of 2. Most parents will have childcare arranged for the Easter break anyway so it will be case of just extending it. This will also probably coincide with the time we are asked to completely lockdown and all but essential services remain open. Guess we’ll find out in the next week or so.

This seems like an idea which they definitely are thinking... It will be 4 weeks break... Closing next week and extending a week after Easter break...

I know a few parents who have kept their children off school today. …I know a few parents who have kept their children off school today. However... The problem with Boris's conference today it was totally vague, ie leave you the british public to self police..., As 90% of the economy is consumer driven asking bars ,cafes, restaurants, theatres etc etc to close voluntarily is allowing the government off the hook because they cannot claim insurance , if he brings in measures to close, by order of the government they can claim for losses ie Force majeure"

They have also put the money aside for the virus claims too in the recent budget
Forcible Closure of businesses - Insurance policies are activated

Asking to avoid -no insurance

We are where we are...

Yes it’s the vagueness that gets me. Requesting people to please not go to pubs/concerts etc, but not explicitly asking them to close/postpone? I don’t understand it. There’s the obvious issue of people ignoring the request, carrying on voluntary social interaction (not including school/work) and passing the virus on anyway. This seems very unfair if someone has just come out of self-isolation (after, for example, coming from Italy) only to contract the virus here instead. Just seems counterproductive to me.
Then there’s always the argument that if people have to go to school/work anyway, how is going to the pub etc any different.
A bit more decisiveness will go a long way.

That’s what my guess was.
Iv been told by a agency that parent are not taking their kids so schools look half empty and in some schools staff are off making it a disaster so some schools will have no option other than close early for half term.

We may have a delay in summer holidays etc
Well I've just watched the ITV news & they just showed some English guys in Spain & not giving a monkeys & just out on the lash.
myusernamehasgone23416/03/2020 18:15

They may well update restrictions and force further closures so people do …They may well update restrictions and force further closures so people do remain in.

I hope we are allowed in garden
But I dread to think what isolation can be for a month.
On weekends my boys lay on sofa half of day

Iv ordered a monopoly game tho
theposter16/03/2020 18:45

Forcible Closure of businesses - Insurance policies are activatedAsking to …Forcible Closure of businesses - Insurance policies are activatedAsking to avoid -no insurance We are where we are...

Yes I think you’re right. This seems similar to the flights situation. People can’t claim because technically flights are still running to the afflicted country. Airlines don’t want to cancel the flights as there’s been no explicit ask to do so, if they cancel it’s their own discretion and therefore their own monetary loss.
It’s a lose-lose for the passengers and the airline sadly.
Misslovely16/03/2020 19:00

I hope we are allowed in garden But I dread to think what isolation …I hope we are allowed in garden But I dread to think what isolation can be for a month. On weekends my boys lay on sofa half of day Iv ordered a monopoly game tho

Pretty sure outdoors in your own garden will be fine. The fresh air will probably be good for everyone.
Number of babies after 9months...

I think it is about doing it in stages which are proportionate to the consequences.

So if families follow guidelines and look after themselves it will help the rest of the society. What I mean is take personal hygiene seriously. Do not interact with others if you're displaying symptoms. Self isolate if you have been asked to.

If people think about others as well as themselves it lessens the immediate impact.

Once schools close that is it and the decision is made for good until the end of this pandemic. Parents will have to stay home. Businesses will fail. Most people cannot earn money. Key workers with children are taken off of frontline duties.

I do not think we can be adequately prepared for this at any stage but the longer we can keep the strain off the NHS I think we stand the best possible chance of helping those most vulnerable.

Definitely reasons for and against. On Thursday I was very much of the opinion schools should already have closed.
Misslovely16/03/2020 19:00

I hope we are allowed in garden But I dread to think what isolation …I hope we are allowed in garden But I dread to think what isolation can be for a month. On weekends my boys lay on sofa half of day Iv ordered a monopoly game tho

No one will be policing your garden when it gets to that point.

Depends on your set up too though as my terrace house is really small garden and my back door is well within 2 meters of my neighbours.

That's being quite picky though and I'm sure it will be encouraged to use gardens where possible but to remain sensible with regards to proximity of neighbours etc.
richp16/03/2020 18:59

Well I've just watched the ITV news & they just showed some English guys …Well I've just watched the ITV news & they just showed some English guys in Spain & not giving a monkeys & just out on the lash.

I got back from Benidorm on a stag do yesterday, there are thousands still out on the lash, from 16 years old right though to 90 year olds on mobility scooters! The police started trying to move people off the streets Saturday morning and gave up by Saturday evening!
Jason16/03/2020 19:12

I think it is about doing it in stages which are proportionate to the …I think it is about doing it in stages which are proportionate to the consequences. So if families follow guidelines and look after themselves it will help the rest of the society. What I mean is take personal hygiene seriously. Do not interact with others if you're displaying symptoms. Self isolate if you have been asked to. If people think about others as well as themselves it lessens the immediate impact. Once schools close that is it and the decision is made for good until the end of this pandemic. Parents will have to stay home. Businesses will fail. Most people cannot earn money. Key workers with children are taken off of frontline duties. I do not think we can be adequately prepared for this at any stage but the longer we can keep the strain off the NHS I think we stand the best possible chance of helping those most vulnerable. Definitely reasons for and against. On Thursday I was very much of the opinion schools should already have closed.

People really need to stop worrying about money so much.

No good being able to count your money if you are the only member of your family left.

France & Italy have announnced not one business will be allowed to go bankrupt from this and no one will miss a pay check. Italy have suspended mortgage payments for 3 months.

There are measure that can be taken to counter this, but we seem to be taking none.

Guarantee people's finances andn
Edited by: "Towelie" 16th Mar
haa051816/03/2020 19:07

Number of babies after 9months...

Getting pregnant now would be foolish considering they have included pregnant women in the at risk category!
Jason16/03/2020 19:12

I think it is about doing it in stages which are proportionate to the …I think it is about doing it in stages which are proportionate to the consequences. So if families follow guidelines and look after themselves it will help the rest of the society. What I mean is take personal hygiene seriously. Do not interact with others if you're displaying symptoms. Self isolate if you have been asked to. If people think about others as well as themselves it lessens the immediate impact. Once schools close that is it and the decision is made for good until the end of this pandemic. Parents will have to stay home. Businesses will fail. Most people cannot earn money. Key workers with children are taken off of frontline duties. I do not think we can be adequately prepared for this at any stage but the longer we can keep the strain off the NHS I think we stand the best possible chance of helping those most vulnerable. Definitely reasons for and against. On Thursday I was very much of the opinion schools should already have closed.

Italy is not thinking about any of the above and they are completely in lockdown because there is no way out of it now apart from taking extreme measures... We are getting there to impose the same restrictions in the coming weeks when 60% of us will have it
Towelie16/03/2020 19:22

People really need to stop worrying about money so much.No good being able …People really need to stop worrying about money so much.No good being able to count your money if you are the only member of your family left. France & Italy have announnced not one business will be allowed to go bankrupt from this and no one will miss a pay check. Italy have suspended mortgage payments for 3 months. There are measure that can be taken to counter this, but we seem to be taking none. Guarantee people's finances andn

Yep but first of all people need to get those assurances for them to no longer need to worry about money.

Everyone will have different circumstances but having a family at home all day every day will have an impact on utilities too. As a family of 4 our usage is likely to double if we all had to be at home indefinitely.

So many unknowns. It feels really strange!
Edited by: "Jason" 16th Mar
Towelie16/03/2020 19:22

People really need to stop worrying about money so much.No good being able …People really need to stop worrying about money so much.No good being able to count your money.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive for a lot of struggling households.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants