Borosilicate glass drinking bottle recommendations - feedback

Posted 24th Jan
Has anyone got the above. The obvious concern is breakage, and nearly all bad reviews wherever you look cite that as the issue.

I've tried metal water bottles, and I don't like the taste

It's for gym usage so is bound to get knocked over at some stage, but most complaints about breakage indicate cracks in the glass not smashing of glass from a drop
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
What about plastic ones ? Can often find these reduced in supermarkets too.
Buy a stainless sigg, ....problem solved when rinsed regularly.
I'm happy with aluminium siggs, but I wash, rinse rotate & air them regularly, never had a problem with metallic taste as my water / juice doesn't have time to funk.
I have a stainless steel Klean Kanteen and I've never ever noticed any metallic taste. I use filtered water from a Brita jug and it tastes great.
Pyrex is the most famous manufacturer of Borosilicate glass products, so if you've owned any Pyrex kitchenware that'll give you an idea of what it's like and how breakable it is.

It's a bit more durable than common glass, but it can definitely smash.
Mr_Gus24/01/2020 09:48

Buy a stainless sigg, ....problem solved when rinsed regularly.I'm happy …Buy a stainless sigg, ....problem solved when rinsed regularly.I'm happy with aluminium siggs, but I wash, rinse rotate & air them regularly, never had a problem with metallic taste as my water / juice doesn't have time to funk.

Sigg . Ive got a couple of them filled with fuel from my camping days. They are excellent although I don't fancy the idea of finding them and ever drinking water from either.

Interestingly they make a glass drinking bottle. (link)

Time for research
EndlessWaves24/01/2020 13:20

Pyrex is the most famous manufacturer of Borosilicate glass products, so …Pyrex is the most famous manufacturer of Borosilicate glass products, so if you've owned any Pyrex kitchenware that'll give you an idea of what it's like and how breakable it is. It's a bit more durable than common glass, but it can definitely smash.

Yeah, but these drinking bottles are obviously using much thinner glass
Edited by: "OllieSt" 24th Jan
yorkie1224/01/2020 08:26

What about plastic ones ? Can often find these reduced in supermarkets too.

I just think I can do better than continually drinking water from the same plastic bottle. Doing my bit for the environment as well I suppose
If you don't want a litre / 750ml ..then the sigg hot & cold one is very good, (with the one hand push button pop up bung).

the one pictured is S/steel vacuum & fits the regular flat knurl & neck also, this is quite wide mouthed for easy cleaning.
39751747-aP6EM.jpg

sigg.com/uk/…le/

Thing is that borosilicate water bottles are thin, so induce anxiety, water bottles do get caned (dropped etc), ones in the silicone wrap only have a thin skim of added protection unlike the basic thickness of good old pyrex casserole dishes. (the on beowis an 850ml for serious gluggers ..other sizes available.39751747-84pJ0.jpg
the one below has the new easy clench sipper.. (it is plastic non bpa)

39751747-Sql0H.jpg

Whilst i've owned the hot & cold one (top picture) ..since its time in R&D / early sample phase i've knocked it a few times, only once recently did I have a chipped lid (full bottle onto concrete taking the force on the pronounced edge of the lid closure moulding) the lid is still useable in my pack, just bad luck, a new lid is £7.50 ..to me that is its biggest flaw.

Now if you like that top (on the pic above) it is available as a separate accessory for about £4 to retrofit a standard neck sigg. so you can mix n'match. 39751747-Ifvuy.jpg

I'm not a fan of the widemouth 3 stage lid / knurl / sport cap combination that fails after a few years of constant use & time, it has generally been superceded anyway as its been going for around 20 years.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 24th Jan
Mr_Gus24/01/2020 15:02

If you don't want a litre / 750ml ..then the sigg hot & cold one is very …If you don't want a litre / 750ml ..then the sigg hot & cold one is very good, (with the one hand push button pop up bung).the one pictured is S/steel vacuum & fits the regular flat knurl & neck also, this is quite wide mouthed for easy cleaning.[Image] https://sigg.com/uk/sale/Thing is that borosilicate water bottles are thin, so induce anxiety, water bottles do get caned (dropped etc), ones in the silicone wrap only have a thin skim of added protection unlike the basic thickness of good old pyrex casserole dishes. (the on beowis an 850ml for serious gluggers ..other sizes available.[Image] the one below has the new easy clench sipper.. (it is plastic non bpa)[Image] Whilst i've owned the hot & cold one (top picture) ..since its time in R&D / early sample phase i've knocked it a few times, only once recently did I have a chipped lid (full bottle onto concrete taking the force on the pronounced edge of the lid closure moulding) the lid is still useable in my pack, just bad luck, a new lid is £7.50 ..to me that is its biggest flaw.Now if you like that top (on the pic above) it is available as a separate accessory for about £4 to retrofit a standard neck sigg. so you can mix n'match. [Image] I'm not a fan of the widemouth 3 stage lid / knurl / sport cap combination that fails after a few years of constant use & time, it has generally been superceded anyway as its been going for around 20 years.

Hot & Cold would be too small. It really needs to be 0.75 - 1 litre, but I am getting to the stage where I have to accept the fact glass and gym is a poor combination.

From Amazon reviews

hi there i bought 2 of these (1 red, 1 midnight) and both of these types of bottles i bought have had the same defect where the bottom has sheared clean off (see photos below). this caused me to get water all over a lot of things at work which was very annoying obviously. i would like either a refund or credit or a replacement with a different design of bottle. i have also purchased 2 of the smaller 0.65l bottles https//ww…ou.
OllieSt24/01/2020 15:48

Hot & Cold would be too small. It really needs to be 0.75 - 1 litre, but …Hot & Cold would be too small. It really needs to be 0.75 - 1 litre, but I am getting to the stage where I have to accept the fact glass and gym is a poor combination. From Amazon reviewsHi there I bought 2 of these (1 red, 1 midnight) and both of these types of bottles I bought have had the same defect where the bottom has sheared clean off (see photos below). This caused me to get water all over a lot of things at work which was very annoying obviously. I would like either a refund or credit or a replacement with a different design of bottle. I have also purchased 2 of the smaller 0.65L bottles https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075DLB4Q9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and they are perfect with no problems so there is obviously something wrong in the manufacturing process with these. Please contact me further as I do not wish to send broken glass in the post (even though they are in 2 cleanly separated parts it's still unsafe). Thank you.

The "THIN" borosilicate is formed in a single go, not top & bottom made separately, ..sadly there is "fashion" and there is common sense utility, it go's along the lines of why is pyrex typically so chunky!? ..because thin + knocks equal shock which sooner or later causes non flexible glass to give up the ghost. ..unfortunately since 2014 sale of sigg, some things have let go, some have stayed the same, it is a balancing act, suffice to say i'd not trust glass for my day to day needs.

There is one model "pre-viva" that has either gone altogether or out of stock in favour of the "one hot & cold" type lid now employed across some of the bpa free range, which my daughter has as a clumsy school kid it works well being dropped when full & water has not tainted over a 2 year period of regular use, ...she's awful at cleaning it out too, therefore I ca only assume it is the tap waters chlorine content doing the job well. ..if you look you can see the plastic ones (which you cannot "squish" easily) hers is 750ml & as usual accepts plenty of widemouth permeatations, hers is a one click opener similar to the hot & cold one lid but less pronounced over the edges.

for gym i'd give that a go.
This one (plastic, durable, but not with the top daughter has)
sigg.com/uk/…90/

I completely understand wanting to get rid of plastic, however every material has a cost, the point is to REUSE, not use once & bin.
There is also a SINGLE wall stainless, 18/8 widemouth with a big modern classic carry loop. 750 ml, variety of colours

sigg.com/en/…76/
OllieSt24/01/2020 13:28

I just think I can do better than continually drinking water from the same …I just think I can do better than continually drinking water from the same plastic bottle. Doing my bit for the environment as well I suppose

You're making things worse for the environment by not getting a plastic bottle. The alternatives are much more damaging to produce. So for a reusable product like this type of bottle you are not taking the environmentally friendly option by electing for glass.
slightly off topic I bought 2 borosilicate glass bottles for drinking water from. they came with a removable rubbery coat with a slit on the side to see how much water is left. ( maybe the rubbery coat will minimise breakages a little) Anyways I have to say its quite simply the nicest purest way to drink water(I filter mine) straight from the fridge and I cant contemplate using anythng else from now on. I know this doesnt help much but if you buy one for your fridge you definitely wont regret it! best of luck in your search tho
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants