Expired

Bosch iron steam not working...help needed to work out why

Found 8th Mar 2013
Hey

Got one of those Bosch Steam iron, the one with the base where the water is kept. I think the model is the SENSIXX B25L.

The problem is that the iron takes in the water from the base,but when the steam button is presson, water comes out instead of steam.

Trying to find the receipt to send it back to Bosch who would fix it for free, but if I can't find the receipt then im going to hope its something I can sort out myself or locally which hopefully should work out cheaper.

any clues on how to get it working would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
39 Comments
Steam jets are probably blocked due to limescale. You'll need a descaler
You can't use descaler on these trypes of irons. I have one.
Does the iron itself work? i.e. heat up. If not, check fuse, if it does, probably the heating element has failed for the steam chamber. If only water is dribbling, the jets can't be blocked so not a scaling issue. Is the steam generator base switched on?

portal.bsh-partner.com/TCc…jxx
OP I have checked my iron and it's the exact same model. Try pouring water into the hole at the base of the iron (use a 2p coin to undo this valve) and shake it and empty it. You should see all the built up scale fall out. Repeat this a few times, until it runs clear.
mrsgm71

OP I have checked my iron and it's the exact same model. Try pouring … OP I have checked my iron and it's the exact same model. Try pouring water into the hole at the base of the iron (use a 2p coin to undo this valve) and shake it and empty it. You should see all the built up scale fall out. Repeat this a few times, until it runs clear.

( Base as in base of unit)
Original Poster
thanks everyone..will try it when I get home.
Original Poster
iron works itself, it even lights up when its ready to give out steam but when I press the button, just water dribbles out instead of the steam.

so chirstina, you had the problem? did the method you stated sort the problem out?
EN1GMA

iron works itself, it even lights up when its ready to give out steam but … iron works itself, it even lights up when its ready to give out steam but when I press the button, just water dribbles out instead of the steam.so chirstina, you had the problem? did the method you stated sort the problem out?

Yes. Worked a treat. You have to do this quite regular.
Original Poster
christina, the valve which I should open is on the base unit yeah? not on the iron itself. Phoned the OH to say what need to be done, she says there is a valve on the base unit which she has opened and cleaned by pouring water and then out a few times but no joy in the iron working.

Just trying to make sure we are talking about the same vale. the vale is a golden colour yeah? I think its got a plastic cap that covers it.
make sure the pipe it's conected properly used a different version from yours. but spent half an hour trying to suss it out. and it turned out the pipe where the steam comes through to the iron wasn't connect properly,
De-Scaling with Citric Acid (Chemist) or a proprietary de-scaler for aluminium (check what the tank is made from so you don't damage it, the manual should give guidance on this) Also use de-mineralised water if you have poor quality water (Halfords and most supermarkets) Stating the obvious only open it up cold and unplugged for safety. Lastly, you don't necessarily need the receipt, just proof of purchase, bank statement / credit card statement to go to the manufacturer. Finally don't get fobbed off if its outside 12 months, that is irrelevant. The law is on your side, min 2 years, poss more depending on cost of item.
retep

Use KalStop for steam generator ironsAmazon £9.80 … Use KalStop for steam generator ironsAmazon £9.80 http://www.amazon.co.uk/POLTI-KALSTOP-LIMESCALE-ITEM-No-GB737-SUITABLE/dp/B006N8PXQO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362762851&sr=8-2or£9.95 http://www.johnlewis.com/store/polti-kalstop-anti-scale-phials-pack-of-20/p230733037?navAction=jump&_requestid=124675

Going by their instructions that works out to 50p every time you fill it up, be cheaper to buy a new iron in the long run.
The iron is getting hot you say, but is it getting hot enough for the water to turn to steam when it is applied to the element.
I would be looking at the thermostat being faulty. do you get a "sizzle" when you touch the iron with a wet finger when it has reached operating temp (for steam use) ?
Ellie Phant

The iron is getting hot you say, but is it getting hot enough for the … The iron is getting hot you say, but is it getting hot enough for the water to turn to steam when it is applied to the element. I would be looking at the thermostat being faulty. You do get a "sizzle" when you touch the iron with a wet finger ?

It's not that sort of iron, the steam is generated in the base unit and pumped to the hand iron (which also has a hot plate but this is not used to generate the steam),
The Kalstop will really help get rid of the build up of calcium
Use three or four in a tank full of water to clean it, then its best to use a mixture of distilled and tap water every time you fill up if you are in a hard water area.
Even better use the water from a condenser tumble dryer or dehumidifier (if you have one)

I have been selling and using steam generators for over 25 years - only had three in all that time!
Original Poster
right,first of all thanks for the comments.

update:

Ive taken the valve off the base unit and given it a good clean by putting water in, gently shaking the unit and then flushing the water out several times.The water comes out clean so Im sure its had a good clean. then switched on the iron with water in the clear tank. Its gets up to temp but when i press the button on the iron itself, all I can hear is 'gurgling' noises from the iron.

So going by the comments here, don't think its the thermostat as it is getting up to temp but its the connection between the iron and the unit which is not pulling the steam through.
woody3765

make sure the pipe it's conected properly used a different version from … make sure the pipe it's conected properly used a different version from yours. but spent half an hour trying to suss it out. and it turned out the pipe where the steam comes through to the iron wasn't connect properly,

Yes it's the golden cap.
I've opened the bottom and there is no valve only white material there help plz Linda 1
You don't need the receipt, only a proof of purchase, if you used a cheque, or credit card it is sufficient to show the transaction. Once you dis-assemble it your warranty / guarantee is void.
I ve got bosh steam generator iron is it ok to us a descaler in the tank
Linda51, hi you don't need to take the bottom off but if you look at the bottom of the generator you will see a black disc with a.two headed arrow, open this and remove. Underneath will be a copper screw type thing (but big) using either a large screwdriver, two pence piece or anything strong that fits the grove open this and remove it, than you can start rinsing out the lime scale
I have exactly the same problem. The iron is just over 3 years old. Instructions are very clear- do not use descaler, and yes- when I unscrew the valve there is thick, hard white webbing. It can't be removed so you can't sluice out any limescale build-up. So no solution here yet!
Water is coming out of the iron. I have emptied the base out several times and the water is still coming out of the iron. What else can I do please
Linda, I have the same iron with white webbing behind the opening- so no slooshing out calc. Mine stopped steaming and just made chugging noise so I sat the iron in a few millimeters of vinegar for 20 minutes, (gunk came out of holes in iron) then poured vinegar into tank and it eventually got pumped into big base tank, then I poured water from condenser drier into clear plastic tank (right old cocktail but hey, I was trying anything rather than posting it back to Bosch- all costs including eventual repairs, on me).My iron works a treat now BUT don't leave your weird cocktail in the iron thinking time will help. I had a mould problem when I went back to it a few weeks later. Tipped whatever out into sink and refilled with condenser drier water and ran a few tanks through, steaming up the place and also smelling very vinegary but it is fine now. We will see for how long. Not at all impressed by this model or by Bosch for that matter. They should stick to dishwashers!
Banned
tried it and it worked loads of lime scale came, see how long it lasts.

Bit of a last resort for me. Be very careful when you iron as the steam/water may be a very brown colour. Use a rag for a while as it needs to clear the system.(About 3-4 minutes, steaming away and staining a rag.) Then you can iron. Good luck!
I have the same initial problem. The iron gets hot but the steam is not coming through. I descaled using oust as it says it is for irons etc. but still won't work
gave base good cleaning out and steam is still not comming out
Can you hear the pump working? Does the flex warm up (steam flex) If not, it may be the problem. Bosch are not helpful if not under warranty. They told me you can send it back to them and pay for repairs. Sorry can't be more helpful.
I have a similar to the Bosch model - steam generator Philips PerfectCare GC9220. It has an anticalc system, only it doesn't work properly, as over time the red light warning it is time to clean the calc reservoir is not shining, but apparently LOTS of limescale is building up inside! It was so much I had to fight tо unscrew the top of the anticalc opening with pilers, as it was literally stuck with scale. I then used some general purpose limescale remover only on the parts visible to me, working with cotton buds, and finishing with wiping it clean with wet cloth. It did remove the limescale and I was able to screw the lid back, but apparently it wasn't enough to clean the limescale that has build up in the hose, connecting the base to the iron, and on the soleplate of the iron itself. Even though I now cleaned the limescale reservoir regularly, eventually the limescale build so much there often was water dripping or gunk falling out on my clothes (yuck!) So this time I wrote to Philips consumer care and I was quite surprised to learn there was in fact an easier way to remove the limescale, called "deep rinse cycle". Essentially it consists of emptying the anticalc reservoir, pouring some 500 ml of destilled water inside and screwing it back, filling the watertank with destilled water and after turning the iron on, pressing the steam button until all the calc is gone, ironing an old piece of cloth. Then of course the anticalc reservoir has to be emptied, but apparently using destilled water (or water from the dryer if you have one) has a major role to prevent limescale, despite all the claims how the iron runs perfectly well on tap water (well it doesn't!)
I think this "deep rinse cycle" can be used on pretty much all the steam generators if they are build on the same principle.
Destilled water - 2,5l for 99p from all major stores, or cheaper if bought in a bigger pack.
Instructional video - youtube.com/wat…c1U (it doesn't say you have to put water in the water tank or that it has to be destilled, but it is so).
Good luck.
My steam irion is model bosh B20L and I cant seem to open up the calc screw at the bottom anyone got any advice please so I can clean this irion thanks.
I have a Bosch B25L. I'm trying to take the base off with a penny but it wont come out its on so tight. Even tried a 2p coin & a screwdriver. What else can I do to clean the iron??
Got a bosch steam generator but the iron itself doesnt light up
I have same no steam problem with Bosch B25L. I have de-calc'd it several times in the past, successfully. I had to ask someone with stronger muscles than my own, in order to open the base, and even he had difficulty. I sloshed out the accumulated chalky "gunk" several times, and applied diluted white vinegar, which I left for a few hours, and then rinsed it out several times. I also cleaned the reservoir with descaler & vinegar etc. Then I filled the reservoir with a mixture of 2./3 distilled water and 1/3 tap water. (The bottom screw still leaks a little, even though I attached another washer.) To my dismay the iron does not dispense any steam when I press the steam button on the iron. I read "trsv's" comments on a "deep rinse cycle" but I can't see how this can clear any calc "gunk" that has built up in the hose (if indeed that is the reason why my iron no longer steams) because when I press the steam button, no steam comes through the hose, to be able to force/clear any rubbish out of it. Does anyone have a Bosch technical helpline phone number?
Hi Celandine,
Bosch help line is on their UK website. All they will say is if under guarantee, they will pay for you to post it to Milton Keynes workshop, if not- you have to pay all the expenses. May be worth it.
Can you hear the pump working-chugging like a steam train? Apparently that's a common failing. Am afraid I chucked mine (after 4 years infrequent use) and am back to my ancient, reliable, undemanding iron.
Have done the descaling,and turned unit back on. It has heated water but am unable to get any steam although the green steam light is on.Instead there is water pouring out of a small hole in the base.Please advise.
I am assuming the hole in base is the hole usually covered by a bolt which you unscrew in some models to help get calc out. In my model there was just white felt and it seemed pretty redundant. So..Have you done up the bolt correctly? Can't think what else can be. I replaced mine after hours of faffing around. Think it was a particular ly bad model. Gone for non pressurised hotpoint which does the job and cost half the price. Good luck.
bosch steam iron keeps tripping electric the plug is fine its the iron plz can u help

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants