Bosch lawnmower help

Posted 9th MayEdited by:"elnino123"
My lawnmower starts up but it doesn’t seem to cut any grass. The blades have never been particularly sharp. Has it lost its power? Anyone know of any solutions? Only had it a couple years and only really used it a few times

It’s a Bosch Rotak 320 ER if that helps

thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
The blade is spinning, I’ll see if sharpening makes a difference!

cheers PaulandPam
Silly question, but is the blade on the right way up? (so the cutting edge is hitting the grass)
Blade settings way too high?
I think the blade is the right way up. Adjusting the blade height doesn’t make difference, just pushes the grass
Posting a photo of the blade and underside of mower would be helpful.

What sort of grass are you cutting? Where I live, it's been very dry all through the winter, resulting in poor spindly growth that won't cut well no matter how well sharpened the blade is.
Edited by: "qbs" 10th May
elnino12309/05/2020 19:50

I think the blade is the right way up. Adjusting the blade height doesn’t m …I think the blade is the right way up. Adjusting the blade height doesn’t make difference, just pushes the grass

If the blade is spinning as you say and the mower is set low enough to touch the grass then the most likely answer can only be two things, the blade needs sharpening as I previously mentioned but I would say cis_groupie's comment about the blade being upside down is most likely the cause because you have just commented it was never very good at cutting plus you mention 'pushing the grass down'
Last solution is you've struck a large solid object with the mower and knackered / bent the blade but you would be easily able to see if you had.
qbs10/05/2020 00:12

Posting a photo of the blade and underside of mower would be helpful.What …Posting a photo of the blade and underside of mower would be helpful.What sort of grass are you cutting? Where I live, it's been very dry all through the winter, resulting in poor spindly growth that won't cut well no matter how well sharpened the blade is.

I have a Rotak, nothing wrong with the design, it cuts spindly dry grass and any grass well (cannot manage crazy long grass of course).

The blade design looks tricky to sharpen properly, I'd consider a new blade if I've had several years use already. Run your finger gently along the edge to check it. Don't forget to set the isolation switch to off before handling.

OP, if you hit thick grass, does the motor slow and you feel resistance before the safety cutoff happens? That at least shows the motor is transmitting some torque.
harrythefish10/05/2020 09:50

I have a Rotak, nothing wrong with the design, it cuts spindly dry grass …I have a Rotak, nothing wrong with the design, it cuts spindly dry grass and any grass well (cannot manage crazy long grass of course).The blade design looks tricky to sharpen properly, I'd consider a new blade if I've had several years use already. Run your finger gently along the edge to check it. Don't forget to set the isolation switch to off before handling.OP, if you hit thick grass, does the motor slow and you feel resistance before the safety cutoff happens? That at least shows the motor is transmitting some torque.

Where did I say there was anything wrong with the design?

I've had my Bosch Rotak Ergoflex 37 for around 10 years, Still on the original blade and can assure you it doesn't like thin, spindly grass. Thick stuff, no bother, as long as you don't push it too hard. I even use mine to hoover up my hedge cuttings from the pavement. Faster than using a brush and chops it down beautifully for the compost heap.

The blade's easy enough to sharpen with a file. Don't use the finger test. If you end up cutting yourself, it's likely to get infected given where the blade's been. Just clean it back to the original profile.

OP The flip ups on the end or ends (there are two variations) of the blade should be on top.
elnino12309/05/2020 19:50

I think the blade is the right way up. Adjusting the blade height doesn’t m …I think the blade is the right way up. Adjusting the blade height doesn’t make difference, just pushes the grass

Are you pushing the lawnmower along or standing still
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions