Bosch washing machine fair wear and tear? A question for washing machine repair men?

Found 7th Mar 2015
My Bosch washing machine is 14 months old and has a 2 year warranty, the seal between the drum and door main body has worn (see picture) and is now leaking. I called them to arrange for an engineer to visit however they said if the seals failure was down to "fair wear and tear" there would be a 95 pound call out fee plus parts!

My question is do you think from the picture this is down to fair wear and tear? the machine gets used 2 times a week.

s1286.photobucket.com/use…tml
Community Updates
17 Comments
Original Poster
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hueknight/washingmachine_zpsym6fejg6.jpg
No way.
Premature failure.
Should last 10yrs+.
We have 4 kids and the washers on 3x a day.
Tell them your going to Citizens advice!

Edited by: "Dkr1966" 7th Mar 2015
I have a Bosh machine and have used it for nine years including washing boiler suits! No sign of wear and tear on the seals
Banned
Dkr1966

No way.Premature failure.Should last 10yrs+.We have 4 kids and the … No way.Premature failure.Should last 10yrs+.We have 4 kids and the washers on 3x a day.Tell them your going to Citizens advice!

Threaten them with citizens advice before Bosch even take a look at it. Good move.

Whatever happened to let them look at it and decide what they propose to do?
Edited by: "toshapetriji" 7th Mar 2015
my bosch is over 10 years old, no way is that fair wear and tear.
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice, I now have more confidence in dealing with them. engineer comming on thursday ...
As the seals failure doesn't look down to wear and tear I wouldn't worry, get them to come and out fix the issue.
I believe they have to inform you of the charge however I'm sure the engineer will agree that shouldn't of happened.
toshapetriji

Threaten them with citizens advice before Bosch even take a look at it. … Threaten them with citizens advice before Bosch even take a look at it. Good move.Whatever happened to let them look at it and decide what they propose to do?

Because they generally want a card payment up front, trying claiming your money back after the fact.
Try reasoning with a call center bod who has not seen the damage and has said it is fair wear and tear.
Its Bosch who should be giving the benefit not the OP
Do you have shares in Bosch?

Banned
Dkr1966

Because they generally want a card payment up front, trying claiming your … Because they generally want a card payment up front, trying claiming your money back after the fact.Try reasoning with a call center bod who has not seen the damage and has said it is fair wear and tear.Its Bosch who should be giving the benefit not the OPDo you have shares in Bosch?

If you want someone to help you getting arsey from the start is not the way to go about it. At least give them a chance.
Tbh tears often happen in the seals when they're overloaded or it's unbalanced etc.. Could be due to other faults like failed bearing etc..
It's pretty simple, offer the engineer tea and biscuits the moment he comes in the door and he'll quite happily agree its faulty.

The PCB in my parents Bosch machine broke a few months ago, the engineer changed the door seal at the same time because he said it looked a bit 'worn', they didn't pay for anything.
toshapetriji

If you want someone to help you getting arsey from the start is not the … If you want someone to help you getting arsey from the start is not the way to go about it. At least give them a chance.

Read the post.
Bosch have already said its wear and tear without inspection.
So who's being arsey?
2 year warranty end of. Motor fails is that wear and tear? no
Door seal splits after 14 months, its not fit for purpose. Especially on limited use that OP stated. 112 washes is fair wear and tear?
Bosch are trying to crawl out of there obligation to repair inside a warranty period.
OP has every right to be arsey with call center!
never seen a seal just rip like that must have been something in wash,why would you get an engineer out for that? new seal diy job.
Unless you chuck your kitchen knives in with the washing, they should be replacing that FOC.
Looks like a zip or bra wire damage
Edited by: "markvirgo" 7th Mar 2015
Banned
Dkr1966

Read the post.Bosch have already said its wear and tear without … Read the post.Bosch have already said its wear and tear without inspection.So who's being arsey?2 year warranty end of. Motor fails is that wear and tear? noDoor seal splits after 14 months, its not fit for purpose. Especially on limited use that OP stated. 112 washes is fair wear and tear?Bosch are trying to crawl out of there obligation to repair inside a warranty period.OP has every right to be arsey with call center!

they said if the seals failure was down to "fair wear and tear" there … they said if the seals failure was down to "fair wear and tear" there would be a 95 pound call out fee plus parts!

it seems Bosch say 'if'

they have not diagnosed the damage yet. The engineer who visits will be the one diagnosing what they damage may be caused by. You gain nothing by taking your attitude.

Be polite to the engineer and he is likely to use his discretion in favour of the customer.
Original Poster
It was changed under warranty and without going into details it was not their fault!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions