Boston Dynamics

64 Comments
Its amazing how far they have come, won't be long before they are on the battlefields.
First time I believe that I've watched a humanoid robot and not found it both clumsy and hilarious Not that I didn't appreciate the effort. It's progressing now into something a bit freakish, which is good (I think)
Edited by: "sparkyIreland" 12th Dec 2017
It's amazing and scary at the same time, They'll be taking over very soon!.
I think I saw that on the news the other day. Incredible.
32704352-ESAjF.jpg
With these things on th battlefield wars will be more common and never ending
coys678 h, 0 m ago

Its amazing how far they have come, won't be long before they are on the …Its amazing how far they have come, won't be long before they are on the battlefields.

incredible, especially if these guys can safely take down the knife attackers and suicide bombers.
davewave15 m ago

incredible, especially if these guys can safely take down the knife …incredible, especially if these guys can safely take down the knife attackers and suicide bombers.

The robots are not bombproof.

"BigDog" ("AlphaDog", or "LS3") was also too loud for combat:

[ arstechnica.com/inf…at/ ]

[ bostondynamics.com/bigdog ]
The comments on these videos are tedious as hell. Terminator this, Skynet that. Like there's not a remote control involved. Or days of programming a set routine
Handle is awesome.
Edited by: "rev6" 12th Dec 2017
Dad of Cyberdyne T1000
rev65 m ago

The comments on these videos are tedious as hell. Terminator this, Skynet …The comments on these videos are tedious as hell. Terminator this, Skynet that.

Does that not demonstrate how far the technology has advanced with what was Science Fiction around 30 years ago but is now something that bores you?
fanpages7 m ago

The robots are not bombproof."BigDog" ("AlphaDog", or "LS3") was also too …The robots are not bombproof."BigDog" ("AlphaDog", or "LS3") was also too loud for combat:[ https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/us-militarys-ls3-robotic-mule-deemed-too-loud-for-real-world-combat/ ][ https://www.bostondynamics.com/bigdog ]

hmmm...if only someone could apply a remote droid to carry out the dangerous task of disposing of bombs.
fanpages2 m ago

Does that not demonstrate how far the technology has advanced with what …Does that not demonstrate how far the technology has advanced with what was Science Fiction around 30 years ago but is now something that bores you?

Where did I say that? I think it's incredible how these robots work. It doesn't mean Skynet is around the corner because they exist. Long way from that.
rev67 m ago

Where did I say that? I think it's incredible how these robots work. It …Where did I say that? I think it's incredible how these robots work. It doesn't mean Skynet is around the corner because they exist. Long way from that.

Drawing parallels to pop culture references is not suggesting that either.
fanpages27 s ago

Drawing parallels to pop culture references is not suggesting that either.

It's still tedious reading them regardless.
rev62 m ago

It's still tedious reading them regardless.

Temporary fix: Don't read them.
fanpages19 s ago

Temporary fix: Don't read them.

I honestly had no idea you were going to say that....

rev64 m ago

I honestly had no idea you were going to say that....

Sounds like your programming needs an upgrade.
fanpages2 m ago

Sounds like your programming needs an upgrade.

You could be right. Or your sarcasm detection is malfunctioning.
Brain the size of a planet and what to they say ?

"Do a back flip"
32706008-RzKK5.jpg
Dat robot made me think of a ninja turtle
Segata-Sanshiro8 h, 34 m ago

With these things on th battlefield wars will be more common and never …With these things on th battlefield wars will be more common and never ending

Go on then, Im intrigued, how do you get to that conclusion?
frakison3 m ago

She just loves to put a positive spin on everything that gets posted.
rev66 h, 5 m ago

Where did I say that? I think it's incredible how these robots work. It …Where did I say that? I think it's incredible how these robots work. It doesn't mean Skynet is around the corner because they exist. Long way from that.

In theory the larger and more complicated programs get and the more they try to create them in a way to emulate intelligence the more likely they are to become sentient. I mean this from a science fiction point of view btw, no idea how grounded in fact it is.
Robots can set us free and reverse decline, says Labour's Tom Watson - The Guardian
theguardian.com/pol…ion

Meanwhile...

Robot shelf-stack fail suggests they won't take our jobs just yet - The Guardian
theguardian.com/tec…deo

Edited by: "m00head" 12th Dec 2017
frakison42 m ago

Because currently what holds us back is our own loss, the public outcry at how many of ours come back in body bags, the amount of dead in other countries. Do you ever say think of the jeeps and tanks how many of them have been needlessly destroyed in this war? No you don't, its just consigning the obliteration to a automated process in the name of generating profits, even more so then today as it will lack the moral outcry
Segata-Sanshiro6 h, 41 m ago

Because currently what holds us back is our own loss, the public outcry at …Because currently what holds us back is our own loss, the public outcry at how many of ours come back in body bags, the amount of dead in other countries. Do you ever say think of the jeeps and tanks how many of them have been needlessly destroyed in this war? No you don't, its just consigning the obliteration to a automated process in the name of generating profits, even more so then today as it will lack the moral outcry

That still makes no sense, governments don't care about our own loss hence the reason our troops get slaughtered in numerous pointless "wars". I just don't get why you think having robots will start more wars? it just makes no sense? Do you think that N Korea for instance would just hold up a flag when all their robots "died", then slap Trump on the cheek and say "you got me dude, lets have a beer" like some grand scale robot wars?? Of course not, we've had remote drones for ages that can take out squadrons with one rocket, its not created more wars... its just a preposterous theory, next you'll be saying that anyone called John Connor needs to go ex-directory asap!!
deleted5795912th Dec 2017

Exactly, in fact robotics or hardware has nothing to do with self …Exactly, in fact robotics or hardware has nothing to do with self awareness of machines it will be the software/AI side of things.I think we are more likely to see an Alexa or Siri become self aware than some helper robot.

I think we're still a long way off true "self awareness" (if its even possible at all), there are some things that we take for granted that you just cant program, you can try to emulate them, but ultimately, I think our brains are just too complex.
Edited by: "frakison" 12th Dec 2017
Segata-Sanshiro7 h, 32 m ago

Because currently what holds us back is our own loss, the public outcry at …Because currently what holds us back is our own loss, the public outcry at how many of ours come back in body bags, the amount of dead in other countries. Do you ever say think of the jeeps and tanks how many of them have been needlessly destroyed in this war? No you don't, its just consigning the obliteration to a automated process in the name of generating profits, even more so then today as it will lack the moral outcry

Except a human war fighter is a lot cheaper than a robot and these things cost alot to produce monetarily, time and material wise. There is no pool of infinite resources and every war is won on resources.
Original Poster
frakison56 m ago

That still makes no sense, governments don't care about our own loss hence …That still makes no sense, governments don't care about our own loss hence the reason our troops get slaughtered in numerous pointless "wars". I just don't get why you think having robots will start more wars? it just makes no sense? Do you think that N Korea for instance would just hold up a flag when all their robots "died", then slap Trump on the cheek and say "you got me dude, lets have a beer" like some grand scale robot wars?? Of course not, we've had remote drones for ages that can take out squadrons with one rocket, its not created more wars... its just a preposterous theory, next you'll be saying that anyone called John Connor needs to go ex-directory asap!!

I can see drones morphing into full blown pilotless fighter jets. Troops on the ground may have robots to lighten the load but the reality is that air superiority wins wars these days and for that reason no real requirement for the spend involved to create robot troops.
catbeans10 m ago

Except a human war fighter is a lot cheaper than a robot...

What is the cost of bringing a future member of the armed forces into the world, nurturing them through their early/infant/informative/teenage/young adult years, educating, feeding, clothing, ensuring their health/fitness is sufficient, & finally training them to a level where they are an effective solider that may be involved in a conflict?

I propose a robot is cheaper to produce.... &, for now, is nowhere near as skilled or intelligent as a human life.
fanpages1 h, 8 m ago

What is the cost of bringing a future member of the armed forces into the …What is the cost of bringing a future member of the armed forces into the world, nurturing them through their early/infant/informative/teenage/young adult years, educating, feeding, clothing, ensuring their health/fitness is sufficient, & finally training them to a level where they are an effective solider that may be involved in a conflict?I propose a robot is cheaper to produce.... &, for now, is nowhere near as skilled or intelligent as a human life.

People cost that money to get to 18 regardless of whether they join the military or not, it's not the MODs problem till then.

The robots would then require the exact same equipment spend bar maybe a shirt and trousers. The vehicles would be more costly due to complex comms equipment, charging stations for battery packs etc.

How much would it cost to recover, repair (if not scrap and rebuild) damage robots in the field. Compared to training new recruits/medical expenses?

Russia, China and India have the biggest reserve forces in the world and some of the biggest (cheapest per head) active militaries. How many robots would be required to compete?

Do the resources and factories exist to maintain competition, when manufacturers can't currently keep up with the world DDR demand.

Regardless the point is, the war wouldn't go on forever, what ever the costs resources are not infinite nor is our production capacity.
Edited by: "catbeans" 12th Dec 2017
catbeans23 m ago

..... The robots would then require the exact same equipment spend bar …..... The robots would then require the exact same equipment spend bar maybe a shirt and trousers.

You would send our brave roboboys and robogirls in naked? Nothing to maintain their dignity? What kind of monster are you?

32716284-uzDg9.jpg
Saturn29 m ago

You would send our brave roboboys and robogirls in naked? Nothing to …You would send our brave roboboys and robogirls in naked? Nothing to maintain their dignity? What kind of monster are you? [Image]

The secound you put clothes on something someone will try and have sex with it.
fanpages2 h, 28 m ago

What is the cost of bringing a future member of the armed forces into the …What is the cost of bringing a future member of the armed forces into the world, nurturing them through their early/infant/informative/teenage/young adult years, educating, feeding, clothing, ensuring their health/fitness is sufficient, & finally training them to a level where they are an effective solider that may be involved in a conflict?I propose a robot is cheaper to produce.... &, for now, is nowhere near as skilled or intelligent as a human life.

Plus yearly wage, military accommodation and health care.
catbeans2 h, 58 m ago

Except a human war fighter is a lot cheaper than a robot...

fanpages2 h, 48 m ago

Segata-Sanshiro19 m ago

Plus yearly wage, military accommodation and health care.

catbeans1 h, 40 m ago

People cost that money to get to 18 regardless of whether they join the …People cost that money to get to 18 regardless of whether they join the military or not, it's not the MODs problem till then. The robots would then require the exact same equipment spend bar maybe a shirt and trousers. The vehicles would be more costly due to complex comms equipment, charging stations for battery packs etc. How much would it cost to recover, repair (if not scrap and rebuild) damage robots in the field. Compared to training new recruits/medical expenses?Russia, China and India have the biggest reserve forces in the world and some of the biggest (cheapest per head) active militaries. How many robots would be required to compete? Do the resources and factories exist to maintain competition, when manufacturers can't currently keep up with the world DDR demand. Regardless the point is, the war wouldn't go on forever, what ever the costs resources are not infinite nor is our production capacity.

OK, if you are not going to suggest a figure for a human life; how much was the research & development over the last 30+ years (including equipment, education, & all associated costs for the humans) bringing the robotic models to the (current) infantry capability?

If you cannot put a monetary value on any of this why would you state "a human war fighter is a lot cheaper than a robot"?
I see a lot of people on the cash tills in shops getting replaced by expensive machines that require supervision, maintenance and often slow down productivity, at least in Lidl where the manned tills move quicker.

How much is the average wage of a cash till operator?

The avarage cost of a robotic arm and the systems to run it are about £100,000.

How much are automated conveyor belts?, Packing machines, bottling machines etc.

Toyota is the biggest car company in the world, they produce just over ten million cars a year, their total number of employees is just under 350k that covers everything from design to dealerships, their uk factory for example produces 3 million a year and employs just over 400 people.

Now in the 1960s fords Dagenham plant alone employed 50k, in its total history of car manufacturing from 1931 to 2002 it produced almost 11 million vehicles.

Machines are cheap and effective. LAWs have been used in warfare for a long time now, technically a land mine is a lethal autonomous weapons system. To claim they will never take over warfare is ignorance, they are already a massive part of it and like automation of any other industry seem to have slowly sneaked in unnoticed by many.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 13th Dec 2017
fanpages3 h, 30 m ago

:)OK, if you are not going to suggest a figure for a human life; how much …:)OK, if you are not going to suggest a figure for a human life; how much was the research & development over the last 30+ years (including equipment, education, & all associated costs for the humans) bringing the robotic models to the (current) infantry capability?If you cannot put a monetary value on any of this why would you state "a human war fighter is a lot cheaper than a robot"?

Well the figures are known you can Google how much it costs to train a soldier and read the MOD reports, you can read pay grades of soldiers.

All other costs are arguably comparable to the cost of the running costs of robots.
Accommodation / storage
Food / electricity
Medical / Maintenance
Etc etc.

A unit of 4 reaper drone cost$53~ million to establish let alone maintain. and requires human pilots, a foxhound armoured car costs the MOD near 1million per vehicle, a Honda Asimov robot, the most advanced commercially available robot costs $2.5mil per unit. So realistically how much is a robot capable of war fighting going to cost? Probably close to the the reaper drone, but let's say 2.5mil per unit produced. Production time, who knows.

To train an infantry soldier the MOD puts the average cost at £34k with a yearly starting salary of £18~19k.

How much did it cost to produce a robot that can jump from one flat service to another then do a flip? It probably can't even walk on uneven ground.
Edited by: "catbeans" 13th Dec 2017
catbeans30 m ago

...How much did it cost to produce a robot that can jump from one flat …...How much did it cost to produce a robot that can jump from one flat service to another then do a flip? I probably can even walk on uneven ground.

So you don't know if a human solider ("war fighter") costs less, the same, or more than a robotic counterpart.

We finally got there.

Thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants