Bought a car at Auction (Broke down on first trip)

Found 1st Aug 2017
Hi Guys

any advice welcome (I know the obvious, sold as seen) but according to other websites it is not as clear cut as that!

Basically the car is a dud, it broke down on way home as it overheated, The coolant is getting burnt off and the garage have said it has a cracked cylinder head, and head gasket has gone. it was traded in by previous owner as it was put into the auction by a garage. I traced the original owner who admitted on Facebook that they traded it in as a dud, but looking at the SOGA it would seem that if a trader puts a car in the auction then as long as I can find that trader I have some comeback? (if it is a private individual then you have no comeback) phoned the auction room, they refused to help and told me to get lost, sold as seen, however Citizens Advice said to get the bank involved, but after I spoke to the bank they said they would investigate but I could not get through to them the Auction house will not accept returns, all they kept saying is to return the car...

Has anyone had anything similar
Community Updates
AskCar
12 Comments
Realistically you have two options.
1) Get a recon cylinder head and get the car mended.
2) Top up the fluids and chuck it back in the auctions.
Depends what conditions were shown on the screen when you purchase. Some auctions such as BCA offer a warranty for major items and you can view the AA check prior to the auction. If nothing was stated then this generally means sold as seen so it's up to the buyer/ bidder to know what they are doing before bidding.
GAVINLEWISHUKD2 m ago

Realistically you have two options.1) Get a recon cylinder head and get …Realistically you have two options.1) Get a recon cylinder head and get the car mended.2) Top up the fluids and chuck it back in the auctions.

I would feel crummy doing that TBH, and would the Auction room take it as I have told them it has major faults? surely they would insist I list that?
Do a Google search for this :

c-buying at auction-pdf

It is a CAB pdf that tells you.
Aeschylus8 m ago

I would feel crummy doing that TBH, and would the Auction room take it as …I would feel crummy doing that TBH, and would the Auction room take it as I have told them it has major faults? surely they would insist I list that?

Just list of word for word as it was sold to you.
Yes it's pretty crappy to do but you won't be the last to do it.
Next time take somebody who knows about cars. New fluids in a car at auction is usually a good sign something is wrong with it.
hottoast9 m ago

Do a Google search for this :c-buying at auction-pdfIt is a CAB pdf that …Do a Google search for this :c-buying at auction-pdfIt is a CAB pdf that tells you.

Thanks, that was what I was basing my findings on, the previous owner is happy to give a statement that he traded to the garage with them knowing the faults, and the Garage told him they were just going to stick it in the auction room, so I know who they are but the T+C of the auction room state you only have 30 mins to notify them of major faults (that is impossible to comply with) and they damn well know it

so do you think it is worth going after the garage that put it in the auction room?
Tbh, I really don't think you would get anywhere.

It is an awful thing to say, but if it is driveable, stick it in the next nearest auction to get rid of it.

Or sell on eBay for spares or repair.
hottoast11 m ago

Tbh, I really don't think you would get anywhere. It is an awful thing to …Tbh, I really don't think you would get anywhere. It is an awful thing to say, but if it is driveable, stick it in the next nearest auction to get rid of it. Or sell on eBay for spares or repair.

Yeah, reading the auction T&C's basically it was sold without warranty, so tough luck jimmy SOGA does not apply here!

Going to have to turn my moral compass off, or run it down to webuyanycar
Send it back via auction, Someone will fix it eventually .
why would someone buy a car at auction if they know nothing about cars?
mutley110 m ago

why would someone buy a car at auction if they know nothing about cars?

Because as my Wife decided to tell me.... I am stupid
Aeschylus1 m ago

Because as my Wife decided to tell me.... I am stupid

i doubt that. did you actually know nothing about cars and yet you bought one at auction? as far as i am aware, buyer beware at auction and you get what you get.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants