Bought a faulty motherboard from an online shop.

Found 3rd Jan
Hi.

I bought a MSI Z370 SLI PLUS motherboard and could not get it to work, thought bad RAM as that was what the debug LED's where indicating. Fully tested RAM, found to be working. Asked to RMA the board and they wanted picture of socket pins before they would do this. Whilst taking the photos I noticed this in the picture -
2870449-P4NLC.jpgAt about the 2 o'clock position in the picture of the socket, there is protruding pin. They claim I have caused this by removing the CPU and taking the pin with it. Is that even possible, has anyone heard of that happening? I said I never got it to work, even with the initial installation so that explanation could not be right. I only fitted and removed it twice. If it is the case, then it would indicate a faulty socket. I asked to return it for a refund.

Here is their reply after I stated my case -

As I explained the earlier the motherboard came directly from the supplier, these are QC checked by a machine that check's every single pin on the motherboard before they are shipped This does void the manufacturers warranty, which leaves us with the only option to send it back for repair but you will be charged £40 for this If you still disagree, then we would recommend going directly to the manufacturer of the motherboard Kind Regards.

Any suggestion on how I should procced

Many thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments
Original Poster
Oh forgot to add, the pin still seems attached into the socket.
Seems odd they asked for a photo of the socket pins as if they knew. Was the box full sealed and the static bag sealed or open
they are trying to fob you off

Is the retailer eBuyer by any chance?
I’d have a guess this wouldn’t be the State it left the factory in so either it had been previously returned or it was caused by you removing the cover or CPU. It’s such a common reason for returns I’m not surprised they asked or found the pin bent
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 3rd Jan
Try fixing the bent pin yourself. I managed once and the board is still going strong
We had exactly the same issue on a previous motherboard. One of the pins on the side was out of alignment. Online retailer were adamant that it was damaged by us. We were extremely careful and categorically denied this. After much heated discussions, we threatened them with a section 75 chargeback on credit card. They soon changed their mind and agreed to a return and refund. Vowed to never buy from them again.

Did you buy on a credit card? Perhaps section 75 is an option.
Original Poster
caverncity1 h, 41 m ago

Seems odd they asked for a photo of the socket pins as if they knew. Was …Seems odd they asked for a photo of the socket pins as if they knew. Was the box full sealed and the static bag sealed or open

Box didn't have any seal on, static bag just had a piece of tape on it.
adamspencer951 h, 36 m ago

they are trying to fob you offIs the retailer eBuyer by any chance?

No it is CCL.
Dannyrobbo1 h, 34 m ago

I’d have a guess this wouldn’t be the State it left the factory in so eit …I’d have a guess this wouldn’t be the State it left the factory in so either it had been previously returned or it was caused by you removing the cover or CPU. It’s such a common reason for returns I’m not surprised they asked or found the pin bent

emodan1 h, 15 m ago

Try fixing the bent pin yourself. I managed once and the board is still …Try fixing the bent pin yourself. I managed once and the board is still going strong

They said it came straight from the manufacturer. The pin is not bent, it is protruding.
Zombied11 m ago

Box didn't have any seal on, static bag just had a piece of tape on it.No …Box didn't have any seal on, static bag just had a piece of tape on it.No it is CCL.They said it came straight from the manufacturer. The pin is not bent, it is protruding.

It must be bent because it can’t sit like that. I’d say the company have sent you one that had already been sent back. Stick to your guns.

32983270-qYas5.jpg
Original Poster
dodo821 m ago

We had exactly the same issue on a previous motherboard. One of the pins …We had exactly the same issue on a previous motherboard. One of the pins on the side was out of alignment. Online retailer were adamant that it was damaged by us. We were extremely careful and categorically denied this. After much heated discussions, we threatened them with a section 75 chargeback on credit card. They soon changed their mind and agreed to a return and refund. Vowed to never buy from them again.Did you buy on a credit card? Perhaps section 75 is an option.

No unfortunately, debit card.
Original Poster
Dannyrobbo8 m ago

It must be bent because it can’t sit like that. I’d say the company have s …It must be bent because it can’t sit like that. I’d say the company have sent you one that had already been sent back. Stick to your guns.[Image]

Well I suppose it is bent in a fashion but that's because its sticking out of the socket.
Can you do a chargeback? If you Google chargeback scheme, one of the first sites is "Which". You might be within your rights to instruct your bank. The threat might also provide the nudge the retailer needs to do the right thing
Original Poster
dodo84 m ago

Can you do a chargeback? If you Google chargeback scheme, one of the …Can you do a chargeback? If you Google chargeback scheme, one of the first sites is "Which". You might be within your rights to instruct your bank. The threat might also provide the nudge the retailer needs to do the right thing

Thanks for the info, was not aware you could do a charge back on debit card purchases.
Original Poster
Still just need to know what my next step should be. Should I persist with trying to get a refund from CCL? They have said the board came straight from the manufacturer but I bought it from CCL, so they should surely be responsible?
Edited by: "Zombied" 3rd Jan
Zombied7 m ago

Still just need to know what my next step should be. Should I persist with …Still just need to know what my next step should be. Should I persist with trying to get a refund from CCL? They have said the board came straight from the manufacturer but I bought it from CCL, so they should surely be responsible?

I would definitely try to get a refund. As someone already mentioned, how do you know the board wasn't just a previously returned faulty item?

After we got our money back from ebuyer, we purchased through Amazon. They may not always be the cheapest, but I've always found their customer service and returns second to none. Hope you get is sorted.
Zombied23 m ago

Well I suppose it is bent in a fashion but that's because its sticking out …Well I suppose it is bent in a fashion but that's because its sticking out of the socket.

You will struggle to prove you didn’t bend it no motherboard manufacturer offers this as they say they are tested before they leave the factory, so the retailer will try to stick to this. As discussed aboveif you paid on debit card a chargeback will be possible or section 75 for credit card.
Have a read of the Consumer Rights Act which states :

If you discover the fault within the first six months after buying the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time of purchase - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was.

Let them know you receive tax credits so a small claims court won't cost you a penny, it will however cost them to defend.
Can you not just return it under the distance selling rules, tell them you've changed your mind now that you've seen the product.
ItWasNotMe9 h, 46 m ago

Have a read of the Consumer Rights Act which states :If you discover the …Have a read of the Consumer Rights Act which states :If you discover the fault within the first six months after buying the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time of purchase - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was. Let them know you receive tax credits so a small claims court won't cost you a penny, it will however cost them to defend.

This works as I've done the small claims part myself after I was sent a damaged motherboard as a replacement with heatsink lugs snapped off.

Trading standards told me I needed the prove it but a solictitor told me the above information. Hence why I hold the belief trading standards are a joke.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions