Groups

Bought a 'gaming PC' from Gumtree on a whim as my quick google search seemed like it was worth it, but can anyone tell me if it actually was?

These are the specs, it did not come in a case, so I still need a case to put it in.

AMD FX4300 on a Gigabyte Motherboard
    GTX 960
    EVGA 600W PSU
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    500GB HDD

All for £165

I saw one 'Build it yourself PC' videos on Youtube, and well I want to give it a try, so this seemed perfect,as I wanted to put it together myself.

But is it really a 'gaming PC', types of games I want to play are CS:GO, H1Z1, ARMA, the type of games that are not available on PS4.

Thanks.

15 Comments

it's not a gaming pc. it's a collection of parts without an os or case.

would be ok price if everything works.

The 960 is a great card, normally worth near £100. The CPU is fast, and again for the money you've done well, it's worth upto £50. The RAM is a little low, but for most games would be fine. I'd recommend grabbing another 4GB DIMM. The hard drive will be the item that holds you back, an SSD would make the whole experience feel much faster. A decent 240GB would set you back around 60 to 70. You've done really well, a great price IMO.

Original Poster

jonnithomas

it's not a gaming pc. it's a collection of parts without an os or … it's not a gaming pc. it's a collection of parts without an os or case.would be ok price if everything works.

Actually i didnt state but it does come with Windows 10, but the seller did say to me every 80 days it will ask you activate something since its an enterprise edition?, I guess basically its not a legit copy or something.

but yeah no case, but the seller was using it apparently without a case, just had it plugged in on his desk.

intercake

The 960 is a great card, normally worth near £100. The CPU is fast, and … The 960 is a great card, normally worth near £100. The CPU is fast, and again for the money you've done well, it's worth upto £50. The RAM is a little low, but for most games would be fine. I'd recommend grabbing another 4GB DIMM. The hard drive will be the item that holds you back, an SSD would make the whole experience feel much faster. A decent 240GB would set you back around 60 to 70. You've done really well, a great price IMO.

Thank you for your detailed reply, yeah i was planning on getting another 4GB memory card. Thanks for your advice, i will look for an SSD. I'm relieved, thanks alot.

Those parts for £165 was a steal imo, heres the breakdown of the parts based on current used prices

FX4300 & Mobo - £110

GTX 960 - £100 (4gb)

EVGA 600w PSU - £40

4GB DDR3 RAM - £20

500GB HDD - £20

Total £290

I'd also suggest looking into a decent cooling system, a decent corsair fan isn't too much money

Original Poster

hamzahuk

Those parts for £165 was a steal imo, heres the breakdown of the parts … Those parts for £165 was a steal imo, heres the breakdown of the parts based on current used pricesFX4300 & Mobo - £110GTX 960 - £100 (4gb)EVGA 600w PSU - £404GB DDR3 RAM - £20 500GB HDD - £20Total £290

ahh the 960 is a 2GB version.

but thank you for breaking it down, im chuffed that i got it so cheap, just got to be stick it all in a case now.

Original Poster

itsaron

I'd also suggest looking into a decent cooling system, a decent corsair … I'd also suggest looking into a decent cooling system, a decent corsair fan isn't too much money

By cooling do you mean a water cooler? i mean they look cool, but do they actually help?, or do you mean a bunch of fans?, as i was looking at some 140mm fans.
    Edited by: "hasj2" 2nd Feb

hasj2

By cooling do you mean a water cooler? i mean they look cool, but do they … By cooling do you mean a water cooler? i mean they look cool, but do they actually help?, or do you mean a bunch of fans?, as i was looking at some 140mm fans.

I believe they just mean a good CPU air cooler hence mentioning a fan.

Water cooling is certainly not worth the money for your build but I agree, if it only has the stock CPU cooler I would upgrade this to something a little better. You can buy a decent CPU fan for around £20.

Too add, I don't believe the prices quoted above are quite realistic for secondhand components however I believe you got a fair deal. The graphics card is worth about £80 alone.
    Edited by: "joshp" 2nd Feb

good price I would say if everything works
    Edited by: "xia0st0ryx" 2nd Feb

Original Poster

xia0st0ryx

true,Im assuming everything works, he offered in the listing to collect from his house and make sure it works, so from that I made the assumption that it must work fine, but he lived quite far from me so agreed to meet half way.

Hopefully it all works fine, should receive my case Friday and get it all set up.

Original Poster

joshp

I believe they just mean a good CPU air cooler hence mentioning a fan. … I believe they just mean a good CPU air cooler hence mentioning a fan. Water cooling is certainly not worth the money for your build but I agree, if it only has the stock CPU cooler I would upgrade this to something a little better. You can buy a decent CPU fan for around £20. Too add, I don't believe the prices quoted above are quite realistic for secondhand components however I believe you got a fair deal. The graphics card is worth about £80 alone.

Oh i see, thank you, It already has a CPU cooler but from the youtube videos it doesn't seem as good quality as others, so i will look around for one. thanks

hasj2

Oh i see, thank you, It already has a CPU cooler but from the youtube … Oh i see, thank you, It already has a CPU cooler but from the youtube videos it doesn't seem as good quality as others, so i will look around for one. thanks

No problem. My advice would be to get the system setup first with the stock cooler just to ensure everything is working okay and then you can shop for an aftermarket one assuming you want too.

If/when looking for an aftermarket cooler perhaps ask people for advice and check out reviews for performance and noise. There is no need to splash out too much though, you can get a nice cooler for not much money.

Good luck with the build, hope it goes well.
    Edited by: "joshp" 2nd Feb

hasj2

true,Im assuming everything works, he offered in the listing to collect … true,Im assuming everything works, he offered in the listing to collect from his house and make sure it works, so from that I made the assumption that it must work fine, but he lived quite far from me so agreed to meet half way.Hopefully it all works fine, should receive my case Friday and get it all set up.

I'm the same. Check it works go to him home. You really don't want a load of junk

Original Poster

helendupree

I'm the same. Check it works go to him home. You really don't want a load … I'm the same. Check it works go to him home. You really don't want a load of junk

joshp

No problem. My advice would be to get the system setup first with the … No problem. My advice would be to get the system setup first with the stock cooler just to ensure everything is working okay and then you can shop for an aftermarket one assuming you want too.If/when looking for an aftermarket cooler perhaps ask people for advice and check out reviews for performance and noise. There is no need to splash out too much though, you can get a nice cooler for not much money. Good luck with the build, hope it goes well.

xia0st0ryx

itsaron

I'd also suggest looking into a decent cooling system, a decent corsair … I'd also suggest looking into a decent cooling system, a decent corsair fan isn't too much money

thanks guys, just set it all up, followed a few youtube videos, and built my first PC, really happy., thanks guys, and all the parts are working, I need to buy a few white LED fans for it, maybe an SSD, but really happy, also need to fix up the cable management.

http://i.imgur.com/8bgcGjz.jpg

Edited by: "hasj2" 3rd Feb

A good buy as its worth about £200-250
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1719
      2. Iptv1228
      3. Music download79
      4. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67

See more discussions