Bought a new scientific calculator off ebay and broke 3 months later. Paypal sided with Seller

Found 18th Jul
Hey guys,

Bought a New scientific calculator off ebay (only costs about £9.50). 3 months later the screen is pixelated in some areas. Asked the seller for an exchange and he said because it's been 3 months, he won't do anything. Tried paypal's resolution and they sided with the seller as it was "as described" when I received it. Guess there's nothing else I can do now?

If this is normal then let this be a warning to everyone buying anything New off ebay. You have zero protection.
Community Updates
29 Comments
Yeh but with the calculators this is probably due to your own fault ( accidental damage / unknown)
hethekid6 m ago

Yeh but with the calculators this is probably due to your own fault ( …Yeh but with the calculators this is probably due to your own fault ( accidental damage / unknown)

Try the manufacturer, it should have 12 month warranty.
I would have thought PayPal would have asked you to return the item for a refund or replacement. You could do a charge back but risk PayPal closing your PayPal account.
You would only get 28 days if you bought from a shop. so why are you expecting someone who sells on Ebay to exchange after 3 months??
Presumably a private seller rather than a business given Paypal's response?

If you buy something from a private individual you have no rights other than it being what it says it is. They're not required to cover future problems like a business is.
toddyj998714 m ago

You would only get 28 days if you bought from a shop. so why are you …You would only get 28 days if you bought from a shop. so why are you expecting someone who sells on Ebay to exchange after 3 months??

28 days would be for returning it if he changed his mind, not for failures like this. Any sort of business has to repair/replace/refund if the item fails early through no fault of the customer's.
SOUTHWALES17 m ago

I would have thought PayPal would have asked you to return the item for a …I would have thought PayPal would have asked you to return the item for a refund or replacement. You could do a charge back but risk PayPal closing your PayPal account.

I thought so too. Will have to reach out to the manufacturer. Just to warn people if they buy anything off ebay and it then develops a fault... you're basically screwed. For some reason Paypal thinks that the Sales of Goods Act don't apply to them.
EndlessWaves2 m ago

Presumably a private seller rather than a business given Paypal's …Presumably a private seller rather than a business given Paypal's response?If you buy something from a private individual you have no rights other than it being what it says it is. They're not required to cover future problems like a business is. 28 days would be for returning it if he changed his mind, not for failures like this. Any sort of business has to repair/replace/refund if the item fails early through no fault of the customer's.

It's a business posing as a private seller. He's selling multiple quantities of calculators and stationaries.
SOUTHWALES19 m ago

I would have thought PayPal would have asked you to return the item for a …I would have thought PayPal would have asked you to return the item for a refund or replacement. You could do a charge back but risk PayPal closing your PayPal account.

Why would paypal ask to return after 3 months on a calculator?

They wouldnt.
That's correct. PayPal isn't a warranty. That's what people seem to wrongly think.
The item has to be faulty ON ARRIVAL. Not 3 months later. It was fine when you got it so you can't get a refund from PayPal. This is clearly stated in their terms and conditions.
It wasn't sold by PayPal. They're not a retailer and you bought from a private seller and a private seller doesn't give warranties. You should report the seller for posing as a private seller if they really are a business seller. That's all you can do against them.
Try the manufacturer's warranty.
Edited by: "hearts22" 18th Jul
TheShadowWalker13 m ago

I thought so too. Will have to reach out to the manufacturer. Just to warn …I thought so too. Will have to reach out to the manufacturer. Just to warn people if they buy anything off ebay and it then develops a fault... you're basically screwed. For some reason Paypal thinks that the Sales of Goods Act don't apply to them.

The sales of goods act applied pre-2015 so not relevant here anyway.

Have you contacted ebay and pointed out your suspicions that the seller is a business and isn't behaving in the way a business must?
I always buy from Amazon. Never had a problem with a refund.
Sounds like accidental damage so really why should the seller have to lose out if it’s been that long.
Can't work out out.......
EndlessWaves1 h, 34 m ago

Presumably a private seller rather than a business given Paypal's …Presumably a private seller rather than a business given Paypal's response?If you buy something from a private individual you have no rights other than it being what it says it is. They're not required to cover future problems like a business is. 28 days would be for returning it if he changed his mind, not for failures like this. Any sort of business has to repair/replace/refund if the item fails early through no fault of the customer's.

That's not true, businesses don't have to take an item back at all if you change your mind let alone 28 days.
master1013 m ago

That's not true, businesses don't have to take an item back at all if you …That's not true, businesses don't have to take an item back at all if you change your mind let alone 28 days.

I never said they did, but that seems to be the period @toddyj9987 was referring to.
AW00791 h, 15 m ago

I always buy from Amazon. Never had a problem with a refund.

True, they can't do enough for the customer in my experience.
So many people here making up Consumer Rights as usual...
If the seller is private, then nothing you can do. If however, they are registered as a business, then they have to prove the fault wasn’t there (at point of sale) within the first 6 months of sale date.
Check out the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as someone previously quoted the Sale of Goods Act which is old news...
SOUTHWALES5 h, 21 m ago

Paypal's resolution service for SNAD (significantly not as described) isn't a guarantee. It is for things that are broken on first use/delivery or not as described.

Is your seller a business seller? You could have redress there if they are in the UK.
windym1 h, 22 m ago

Paypal's resolution service for SNAD (significantly not as described) …Paypal's resolution service for SNAD (significantly not as described) isn't a guarantee. It is for things that are broken on first use/delivery or not as described.Is your seller a business seller? You could have redress there if they are in the UK.

It looks like a business seller masquerading as a private seller. He's selling the same item in multiple quantities. To be honest I don't think it's worth my time to chase up on this. Just glad i found out with a low cost item at how apalling paypal is. Let it be a warning to people buying anything new off ebay...especially if it's expensive, you will have no proper redress
TheShadowWalker36 m ago

It looks like a business seller masquerading as a private seller. He's …It looks like a business seller masquerading as a private seller. He's selling the same item in multiple quantities. To be honest I don't think it's worth my time to chase up on this. Just glad i found out with a low cost item at how apalling paypal is. Let it be a warning to people buying anything new off ebay...especially if it's expensive, you will have no proper redress

Its ebays fault for allowing the seller to be a private seller when clearly not , not PayPals fault for not offering warranty protection for private sales.

Report the seller to eBay.
TheShadowWalker1 h, 2 m ago

It looks like a business seller masquerading as a private seller. He's …It looks like a business seller masquerading as a private seller. He's selling the same item in multiple quantities. To be honest I don't think it's worth my time to chase up on this. Just glad i found out with a low cost item at how apalling paypal is. Let it be a warning to people buying anything new off ebay...especially if it's expensive, you will have no proper redress

Paypal isn't appalling. Paypal do not offer a guarantee, they offer a process that protects your money if you don't get what you pay for.

If you want redress, buy from a business seller - the time to check to see if they are hiding behind a private account is BEFORE you buy, not after.

Your seller is the one that isn't doing what they should.
mrty7 h, 20 m ago

Can't work out out.......

Something just doesn't add up ;).
Ebay have caused business sellers to use private accounts, as they continually give discounts to private accounts and ramp up the fees for shops. Why sell a £100 item as a business and pay full whack fvf with returns etc, when you can list it on one of their offer days and pay £1 fee and don't have to accept returns..
If you have their details still report them to Trading Standards.
choccie329 h, 45 m ago

If you have their details still report them to Trading Standards.

Cant report if they're posing as a private seller right? I guess i can just report to ebay.
windym11 h, 52 m ago

Paypal isn't appalling. Paypal do not offer a guarantee, they offer a …Paypal isn't appalling. Paypal do not offer a guarantee, they offer a process that protects your money if you don't get what you pay for.If you want redress, buy from a business seller - the time to check to see if they are hiding behind a private account is BEFORE you buy, not after.Your seller is the one that isn't doing what they should.

Does it state somewhere whether a seller is private or business? Usually when i buy something i just look at the username (which in this case sounded like a business) and the feedback numbers and positive reviews.

I was just buying a calculator i needed for my exams so didn't really delve deeper.
TheShadowWalker45 m ago

Cant report if they're posing as a private seller right? I guess i can …Cant report if they're posing as a private seller right? I guess i can just report to ebay.

I meant if they are a business seller posing as a private seller to deny you your rights then you have grounds to report them to Trading Standards. You’d only need their username. I don’t know what happened with the product, but they are not allowed to pretend to be a private seller
Edited by: "choccie32" 19th Jul
TheShadowWalker1 h, 58 m ago

Does it state somewhere whether a seller is private or business? Usually …Does it state somewhere whether a seller is private or business? Usually when i buy something i just look at the username (which in this case sounded like a business) and the feedback numbers and positive reviews. I was just buying a calculator i needed for my exams so didn't really delve deeper.

I have just picked two calculators at random. It is very easy to see if they are a business or not, especially if you are looking at their username.

34418113-EgGLL.jpg34418113-PkjwI.jpg
windym28 m ago

I have just picked two calculators at random. It is very easy to see if …I have just picked two calculators at random. It is very easy to see if they are a business or not, especially if you are looking at their username.[Image] [Image]

Thank you. Will know what to look out for next time
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants