Groups

Bought a Philips fidelio E5 system from their website, it came with euro plugs

I have complained and they said sorry for delay it's now gone to back office. I can't use it yet, don't want to chop off euro plugs as not sure of fuse size. Ok could use shaver plugs not sure about safety. What gripes me is how/ why they sell something not useable.

23 Comments

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

why do you consider your shaver plugs to be dangerous?

They don't seem to be a tight fit, what fuse size to use too.

Aesthetically in the lounge I would prefer proper UK plugs

Banned

Chop the plug off and replace with UK plug, the instructions will explain what fuse size is required. Or am I missing something?

Original Poster

toshapetriji

Chop the plug off and replace with UK plug, the instructions will explain … Chop the plug off and replace with UK plug, the instructions will explain what fuse size is required. Or am I missing something?

So the guarantee is voided you mean?

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

This

but the manual shows an option for UK purchasers.....with a correct 3 pin plug lead included?

Banned

airfix

So the guarantee is voided you mean?

You are probably right but I wouldn't have a problem doing it. I seriously can't remember ever having to return a faulty item under guarantee though.

post #4 seems to nail it though in any case.

airfix

but the manual shows an option for UK purchasers.....with a correct 3 pin … but the manual shows an option for UK purchasers.....with a correct 3 pin plug lead included?

So it it an option or included? If it lists it as box contents then contact the retailer as its missing.

Just use a UK figure of 8 lead.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

So it it an option or included? If it lists it as box contents then … So it it an option or included? If it lists it as box contents then contact the retailer as its missing.

The manual has the lead pictured as included but greyed out for UK only

Original Poster

toshapetriji

You are probably right but I wouldn't have a problem doing it. I … You are probably right but I wouldn't have a problem doing it. I seriously can't remember ever having to return a faulty item under guarantee though.post #4 seems to nail it though in any case.

So you are happy to pay for a high end piece of tech and modify it to be able to use it?

Banned

airfix

So you are happy to pay for a high end piece of tech and modify it to be … So you are happy to pay for a high end piece of tech and modify it to be able to use it?

Personally yes, like I said I don't remember ever having to return something under warranty. Would they even notice a plug had been changed?

But as in my previous post I said

You are probably right but I wouldn't have a problem doing it

You win OK I'll shut up now?

Banned

use an adaptor.

/thread

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

no having much luck are you, what hi end equipment came with the wrong … no having much luck are you, what hi end equipment came with the wrong plug as well?

Don't start, I can't be bothered with the ins and outs of why I purchased this but lets just say it's a unique piece of kit to fit a certain situation, do your research etc.

My high end Panasonic ZT65 came with a UK plug!

Edited by: "airfix" 24th Jul 2014

Original Poster

ewwaxo

use an adaptor./thread

So you would let the supplier off the hook at your expense?

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

i always do research and this is what i found"Speaker system meets … i always do research and this is what i found"Speaker system meets Lego"http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/philips-fidelio-e5-review-1179619/reviewlego is hardly hi tech

If I buy I look at AVforums mate, not mickey mouse websites X)

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

don't mickey mouse websites have mickey mouse items on them?

Ok I get the lego joke but they look a good idea to me, great reviews so far on all sites

pics on philips site show 2 pin
    dont know why sell like that though in the uk, seems stupid

Original Poster

brilly

pics on philips site show 2 pindont know why sell like that though in the … pics on philips site show 2 pindont know why sell like that though in the uk, seems stupid

So I contacted Philips and they sent out an adapter(even though I need two, grr), this adapter has no fuse in it!! Is it OK to plug electrical equipment straight into the mains? Shouldn't it be fused to protect the sensitive components?

airfix

My high end Panasonic ZT65 came with a UK plug!

Wow, you have a ZT65? You kept that quiet.

But seriously, I am with you on this one OP. No way should you cut the plug off. I enquired about a fridge I purchased, about cutting the plug off so it would fit through the hole in the kitchen worktop. I was informed that it would void my warranty as it was a sealed plug.

Stand your ground, if they are selling to the UK market then they should send you the correct spec.

Just read your last post, I take it they don't actually do a UK spec then.

Surely the unit will already have a fuse in it? The adapter is just acting as a bridge and not really needing a fuse.

airfix

So I contacted Philips and they sent out an adapter(even though I need … So I contacted Philips and they sent out an adapter(even though I need two, grr), this adapter has no fuse in it!! Is it OK to plug electrical equipment straight into the mains? Shouldn't it be fused to protect the sensitive components?

Not needed as it will have a fuse inside and a high quality transformer. An internal fault will kill it internal fuse before the plug one and worse case scenario you get hit by lightning a plug fuse won't save you anyway.

Would recommend a fuse I would fail it under a electrical safety test for not having a fused adapter.
    The fuse is to protect a fault in the lead.

http://i.imgur.com/mclY4gy.jpg

90 odd pence each at cpc but £5 min order now

Original Poster

NEtech

Just read your last post, I take it they don't actually do a UK spec … Just read your last post, I take it they don't actually do a UK spec then. :(Surely the unit will already have a fuse in it? The adapter is just acting as a bridge and not really needing a fuse.

The manual shows a UK 3 pin plug as an option
    djnaff

Would recommend a fuse I would fail it under a electrical safety test for … Would recommend a fuse I would fail it under a electrical safety test for not having a fused adapter.The fuse is to protect a fault in the lead.90 odd pence each at cpc but £5 min order now

Just checked and the adapter is fused with 5amp
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4852331
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764701
      3. Sky Fibre Max55
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?35232

See more discussions