Expired

Bought a second hand Galaxy s4... Still covered by warranty?

Found 22nd Sep 2013
Hi...bought a second hand Galaxy s4 from a very reputable seller on ebay. If this phone stops working and goes blank.. Can I still get it fixed by Samsung?
Community Updates
AskSamsung Galaxy
20 Comments
Banned
need original receipt and warranty card ?
Original Poster
no I only have the receipt from the company I bought it second hand. If the phones registered with Samsung then couldn't I say I received it as a gift?
Banned
useful info from : http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warranty/warrantyInformation.do?page=POLICY.WARRANTY

Warranty periods and warranty services are intended as a guide only and variations may occur. The warranty period applies from the date of purchase by the first customer and is transferable only between end-users.

The warranty covers manufacturing defects only. Please note that this does not include consumables items such as batteries, bulbs, and ink cartridges unless listed above under 'general information'. The liability of Samsung Electronics (or its appointed maintenance agent) is limited to the cost of repair and/or replacement of the product under warranty. The warranty is invalidated if the defect is caused (howsoever) by misuse, neglect, and tampering or incorrect adjustment. It is invalidated if unauthorized persons carry out any alterations and/or repairs. Also, the warranty is invalidated in the following cases:

For the repair of a domestic product used in a commercial environment
For repair due to incorrect installation in your home
For repair to any product where the serial number has been removed
Where any ancillary equipment not furnished or recommended by Samsung causes problems or damage that is attached to or used in connection with the product.
Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd support a product purchased in Europe if it has an EU Bloc Warranty. This warranty is present where the top of the product warranty card clearly states 'European Bloc'. If the product is purchased in another part of the globe then Samsung may attempt a repair. Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd cannot guarantee the outcome.

To obtain technical assistance or to book a service/repair to your product under warranty, please contact our customer care centre.
To assist our customer service team, please have your model number, serial number and date of purchase ready when calling
Banned
Always makes me laugh when people enquire about such things after they purchase something. This should be a mandatory thing to do before you buy.
Original Poster
so in other words I want it fixed I gotta pay?
Original Poster
I wouldn't mind taking out insurance to cover it but dunno if its possible with a second hand phone... anyone know if I can do this?
Edited by: "makershaker" 22nd Sep 2013
Banned
makershaker

I wouldn't mind taking out insurance to cover it but dunno if its … I wouldn't mind taking out insurance to cover it but dunno if its possible with a second hand phone... anyone know if I can do this?

sounds a bit fraudulent ?
Original Poster
ewwaxo

sounds a bit fraudulent ?

Eh? How?
Banned
makershaker

Eh? How?

makershaker

so in other words I want it fixed I gotta pay?

sorry just assumed from above comment that it was broken already.
Original Poster
no its working fine!! just worried I might drop it because I know a smashed screen on this costs around £150+ !!! Gonna buy an Otterbox Commuter but would also like to pay insurance upfront t just for 12 months to cover it.
Banned
makershaker

no its working fine!! just worried I might drop it because I know a … no its working fine!! just worried I might drop it because I know a smashed screen on this costs around £150+ !!! Gonna buy an Otterbox Commuter but would also like to pay insurance upfront t just for 12 months to cover it.

yeah i'm sure you can take out insurance.
If you drop it and break the screen it would not be covered by the warranty anyway.
Same as most problems with phones...if its damaged by you, its not covered.
So I wouldn't sweat it.
Original Poster
yes but would insurance cover me? that's the main thing I'm worried about as this thing is so thin its unreal!
makershaker

yes but would insurance cover me? that's the main thing I'm worried about … yes but would insurance cover me? that's the main thing I'm worried about as this thing is so thin its unreal!

Insurers usually exclude second hand phones. Personally ebay is the last place I'd buy a phone.
if it is sold in the EU : all mobiles are covered by a 2year warranty.

If you can't prove when you bought it , they find out using the manufacture date
Edited by: "effingandjeffing" 22nd Sep 2013
effingandjeffing

if it is sold in the EU : all mobiles are covered by a 2year warranty.If … if it is sold in the EU : all mobiles are covered by a 2year warranty.If you can't prove when you bought it , they find out using the manufacture date

Wrong as we have SOGA. The UK did not sign up to the 2 year EU deal.
Banned
if you have houshold insurance and have an extenstion for personal possesions on the contents insurance there shouldbe cover for accidental damage to phone

seperate policys are more expensive and dont normaly cover liquid damage
makershaker

yes but would insurance cover me? that's the main thing I'm worried about … yes but would insurance cover me? that's the main thing I'm worried about as this thing is so thin its unreal!

theyre not as fragile as they look, I've hurled my galaxy note across a tiled floor before now, no damage. But you must must must get a TPU case or similar.
If you go to this website and type in the serial number on the sticker behind the battery on a Samsung Mobile phone it will be some thing like RP4B454544A (It will be made up of 10 or 11 letters and numbers) it will tell you what month the phone was produced and also when roughly the factory warranty expires. unlocksamsungonline.nl/?sn…nty
Original Poster
Sprograt

If you go to this website and type in the serial number on the sticker … If you go to this website and type in the serial number on the sticker behind the battery on a Samsung Mobile phone it will be some thing like RP4B454544A (It will be made up of 10 or 11 letters and numbers) it will tell you what month the phone was produced and also when roughly the factory warranty expires. http://www.unlocksamsungonline.nl/?snr=RF1C66H9R4M&page=warranty

Okay I did this and it came up saying its under warranty until june 2015! So...if anything went wrong could I not just phone up and say I was given the phone as a gift? After all they'll have it registered for warranty?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions