Groups
    EXPIRED

Bought an Asus MemoPad (latest version) - Having issues. Can anyone help?

Hi,

So I've had my eye on one of these for a while. Didn't think they were worth £99 after the BF deals on last year version, but still wanted the latest version in order to get Kitkat, etc.

Well, I was stoked when I managed to make an offer on ebay of £70 delivered from a BNIB one. He also stated 'Accept returns' - no other qualifications, other than buyer pays postage.

So it comes, and I set it up, take it into my bedroom which is where I would be using it most of the time, as have laptop in living room. It barely picks up one bar of Wifi, and is creakingly slow watching Netflix, etc. Lots of buffering, highly frustrating. Also, the speaker output is a joke. I can't believe this is a £100 tablet! I'm not happy having paid £70. So I try a few things to get a better signal and get better volume, but it doesn't do much good. So i contact seller, ask to return item. He says 'NO' because I've opened the box. I go ahead and open a case, but ebay won't intervene until the 30th.

Meanwhile i'm stuck with a tablet that for me isn't going to work it seems.

My questions are:

1) What is my stance on returning the item to seller - will ebay side with me? reason i want to know is if i can go ahead and buy another tablet in the sales that has 3G/4G.

2) If ebay does not side with me, is there anything I can do to boost a) my wifi connection (although my mobile reliably gets 2-3 bars in bedroom, making me think it's the tablet rather than my wifi's fault). b) boost the sound volume other than buying a separate BT speaker for another £20.

Sorry for the long winded post. Help appreciated.

20 Comments

Business seller or private?

Business; eBay should side with you.

Private; eBay should side with them.

Original Poster

joshp

Business seller or private? Business; eBay should side with you. Private; … Business seller or private? Business; eBay should side with you. Private; eBay should side with them.

private but then why offer returns if you dont really want to?

Following...

Does it work fine near your router?
    As for the speaker output is it in a case and have you made sure you removed all the plastic coverings?
    Be 100% sure its the tablet at fault before you start claims and sending emails.

Something else to check is the tablet is intact the correct model, its not unheard of for sellers to fake packaging to get a few quid more.

Edited by: "joedastudd" 22nd Dec 2014

Surely it all depends on whether the tablet is faulty or not? If it is then you can return and get a refund, if it's not then you'll just have to keep it or sell it on and buy a better quality one.

It sounds like it's not faulty to me, just not a very good tablet

Original Poster

joedastudd

Does it work fine near your router?As for the speaker output is it in a … Does it work fine near your router?As for the speaker output is it in a case and have you made sure you removed all the plastic coverings?Be 100% sure its the tablet at fault before you start claims and sending emails.Something else to check is the tablet is intact the correct model, its not unheard of for sellers to fake packaging to get a few quid more.

Yep have tested it in the living room and it does work fine. I know my wifi signal isnt as strong in the bedroom because of the way my flat is laid out (my kichen juts into the corridor presumably obstructing the wifi signal) but figured if my £20 onetouch can get 3 bars, then my £100 asus memo wouldnt have a problem. I have removed packaging and even took out the case i bought for it. i now find it gets 1-2 bars vertically, and 0-1 horizontally. holding the darn thing above my head at an angle obvs isnt a lobg term solution

espirit77

private but then why offer returns if you dont really want to?

They do accepts returns however the item should be returned in the same condition. The item is now less valuable so you can't expect them to accepts returns as a private seller. I find that fair.

If the tablet was faulty that would be a different situation.
    Edited by: "joshp" 22nd Dec 2014

Original Poster

bobdylan

Surely it all depends on whether the tablet is faulty or not? If it is … Surely it all depends on whether the tablet is faulty or not? If it is then you can return and get a refund, if it's not then you'll just have to keep it or sell it on and buy a better quality one.It sounds like it's not faulty to me, just not a very good tablet

Yeah you're right, but all the hype around these tablets, Im just really disappointed. also no ones going to buy a used tablet this time of year when new ones are so cheap, unless i take a 40% loss.

I have that tablet I have no problem with it. my router is in living room tablet used in bedroom. I think you may have a faulty tablet

Original Poster

scaryvonne

I have that tablet I have no problem with it. my router is in living room … I have that tablet I have no problem with it. my router is in living room tablet used in bedroom. I think you may have a faulty tablet

interesting.. thanks! i'll use that in my case for whatever good it may do.

Sounds like you've drawn your own conclusion then. If I was the seller I wouldn't offer a refund either if the tablet clearly wasn't faulty especially if it was still brand new and sealed.

Your best best might be to buy a wifi extender and put it upstairs to boost your wifi signal and then you'll be able to use it without any issues: amazon.co.uk/TP-…3JQ

Original Poster

joshp

Well I did offer to pay him a fee for the anticipated difference. Im a … Well I did offer to pay him a fee for the anticipated difference. Im a seller too, and i always clearly state 'in same condition'. otherwise its misleading.They do accepts returns however the item should be returned in the same condition. The item is now less valuable so you can't expect them to accepts returns as a private seller. I find that fair. If the tablet was faulty that would be a different situation.

Original Poster

bobdylan

Sounds like you've drawn your own conclusion then. If I was the seller I … Sounds like you've drawn your own conclusion then. If I was the seller I wouldn't offer a refund either if the tablet clearly wasn't faulty especially if it was still brand new and sealed.Your best best might be to buy a wifi extender and put it upstairs to boost your wifi signal and then you'll be able to use it without any issues: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA750RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00CEB53JQ

Well i dont know.. fine line between faulty and not fit for purpose.. thanks, i considered that but was worried it may not work due to the fact something may be 'blocking' the signal rather than it just being far away. think its worth a try though.

espirit77

Well i dont know.. fine line between faulty and not fit for purpose.. … Well i dont know.. fine line between faulty and not fit for purpose.. thanks, i considered that but was worried it may not work due to the fact something may be 'blocking' the signal rather than it just being far away. think its worth a try though.

Thing is, it's not really the seller's problem that Asus has made a tablet with poor wifi reception is it?

Original Poster

bobdylan

Thing is, it's not really the seller's problem that Asus has made a … Thing is, it's not really the seller's problem that Asus has made a tablet with poor wifi reception is it?

well if they were a business seller it would be because Sale of Goods Act states buyer must return to point of sale. with private sellers, it's more of a grey area. guess i'll see what ebay says.

espirit77

well if they were a business seller it would be because Sale of Goods Act … well if they were a business seller it would be because Sale of Goods Act states buyer must return to point of sale. with private sellers, it's more of a grey area. guess i'll see what ebay says.

I don't want to offend you however this is why I hate selling on eBay as I'm worried with every sale that buyers are going to come up with something that makes me at a loss, even when I'm not at fault.

Its like 2 or 3 days ago a buyer contacted me complaining that I sold an Xbox One game and described it in excellent condition. However no manual was included. I explained that game doesn't come with a manual (as some don't nowdays), however they didn't believe me. I even sent them a link to a YouTube unboxing video which showed no manual was included.

Original Poster

Cheers, All for the input. My partner says he's going to have it and he's applied the Metallica/ Slayer test, and it just about passed. He says he'll only use it near the router with headphones, or we'll invest in a signal booster the one recommended above. So not the end of the world, and I don't need to P off seller I guess!

Original Poster

joshp

I don't want to offend you however this is why I hate selling on eBay as … I don't want to offend you however this is why I hate selling on eBay as I'm worried with every sale that buyers are going to come up with something that makes me at a loss, even when I'm not at fault.

No i agree with you as well, I sell on ebay too, and am actually registered as a business seller because at one point I was going to try to start one. So I do see it from their PoV, I just was wondering how eBay would see it, as I've not been in this situation before, regardless of who is in the right or wrong.

espirit77

Cheers, All for the input. My partner says he's going to have it and … Cheers, All for the input. My partner says he's going to have it and he's applied the Metallica/ Slayer test, and it just about passed. He says he'll only use it near the router with headphones, or we'll invest in a signal booster the one recommended above. So not the end of the world, and I don't need to P off seller I guess!

Good on you.

I don't want to put buyers off from returning faulty goods however as a regular seller and buyer I understand both sides.

espirit77

No i agree with you as well, I sell on ebay too, and am actually … No i agree with you as well, I sell on ebay too, and am actually registered as a business seller because at one point I was going to try to start one. So I do see it from their PoV, I just was wondering how eBay would see it, as I've not been in this situation before, regardless of who is in the right or wrong.

That's fair enough. Being honest, I would have hoped eBay would have followed what I originally said however you never know with eBay, they do often side with buyers so you probably could have tried your luck and the seller would have been out of pocket. Anyhow I'm glad the issue is now resolved and that you can make use for the tablet!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value1115
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047152
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2485
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)62483

See more discussions