Groups

Bought iphone second hand need advice returning to Argos/Apple

I bought an iPhone from gumtree on Friday, few scratches but nothing to worry about, I am worried they will eventually report it stolen and I'm left with a second hand piece of crap. I've noticed the reception keeps dropping from full coverage to no service so I took it back to Apple and they told me the phone was only 3 days old! which surprised me for a phone with had quite a bit of wear on the frame.

Apple guy checked the records and it was bought from Argos on the 16/03/17 they said as its under 28 days old they cant do anything about it and the fault is with Argos, The phone tests came back with the phone working perfectly but he wrote there was a potential issue with the coverage.

I've contacted the buyer and they wont give me any sort of receipt, my issue is do I tell Argos I bought the phone second hand and I need to return it without any receipt? or do I like and say I got it from a friend who's name I don't know and I want them to replace it as the phone is only 5 days old now.

I am worried the phone will eventually get blocked from the previous owner so want to get a replacement asap and I know Apple wont replace it in 28 days as the tests came back fine

I would apperciate any help

Thank you

42 Comments

Without a proof proof purchase, nothing you can do. unless you get get the manager to do it one off but i doubt that very much, based on the description of the phone quality, they will think you are trying it on with an older phone.

If you buy a second hand phone you take the risk, without the receipt Argos won't help you, Apple might swap it if it's actually faulty but if it's blocked then you take the hit.

So it was bought from argos on 16/3/2017 and you bought it off Gumtree on 17/3/2017?

you should check to see if the serial number in settings matches the serial number on the actual back of the phone.

Original Poster

It's mind boggling what they did to it in just one day... when I went to the apple store and I told them a friend gave me a phone and the guy said it was bought on Thursday I didn't know what to say lol I will try contact the seller again and hopefully they will give me the proof of purchase, I just have a feeling its either going to be an insurance job or bought with a stolen credit card.

Thanks for the help

http://a68.tinypic.com/ount7a.jpg

Original Poster

It all sounds very fishy, I checked the serial number before I bought the phone and it checked out, I'm under warranty from Apple until 15th March 2018, the screen is perfect not a single mark, a few scratches on one corner and the lightning port had mud in it, she did say something about her daughter was playing with it outside

Well as its not a contract phone it's less likely to be blocked.
    It won't have been stolen from Argos or it wouldn't have a sales registration with Apple.
    So my guess is it was bought using a stolen credit/debit card.

Wait a bit longer and get apple to sort it under warranty. I am sure they would have told you if it was a fake (there are plenty about).

Original Poster

I checked the serial number on the sim card tray which has been scratched off so I'm starting to think maybe they replaced the back of this phone with another phone, When I went to insure the phone imei number came up with rose gold rather then gold, the phone works perfectly but I know there is a **** storm waiting around the corner for me, Even the apple guy said the phone checked out perfectly.

soulus851

I checked the serial number on the sim card tray which has been scratched … I checked the serial number on the sim card tray which has been scratched off so I'm starting to think maybe they replaced the back of this phone with another phone, When I went to insure the phone imei number came up with rose gold rather then gold, the phone works perfectly but I know there is a **** storm waiting around the corner for me, Even the apple guy said the phone checked out perfectly.

Have you considered advertising it on Gumtree? There is always a mug out there keen to get a deal. You can pass on the issue, and maybe realise a small profit.

Original Poster

I was originally buying this phone to use for 2 months then to sell to phone recycle company, might lose a little money from the scratches or the wrong back but it shouldn't be to bad bough it for £310 so hopefully can sell it for £260 with the damage

can you try and register it with apple. that way it should not get blocked

Sounds like a big scam to me

Apple have nothing to do with the blocking of the phone. It's the mobile carrier that blocks it form connect to any network.

Have you gone in to settings > general > about and checked the serial on there matches the box? The box will say the colour on the sticker it should be.

Dawsy

can you try and register it with apple. that way it should not get blocked

Registering it with Apple won't stop it getting blocked as Apple don't block them.

Advice here is never buy a phone off Gumtree. No point expecting Argos or Apple to do anything about it.

Original Poster

I'm sure I will be back with the eventual outcome when it all goes bad, Thanks for the help everyone I'm just going to keep it for 2 months and see what happens when I eventually recycle it

soulus851

I'm sure I will be back with the eventual outcome when it all goes bad, … I'm sure I will be back with the eventual outcome when it all goes bad, Thanks for the help everyone I'm just going to keep it for 2 months and see what happens when I eventually recycle it

Why wait 2 months?

And why have you not replied to people saying check the serial number on the settings in the phone itself?

But if you return it to Argos and then it gets blocked you will be held accountable for it by them. The next thing you know is an Argos bill for the blocked phone coming through your door.

And why don't you contact the seller and say you know when it was bought and you find this strange and worrying and want your money back

You bought the phone off gumtree.

This was your first and final error.

sounds like a stolen phone with a fake imei registered too it I had one years ago they are usally stolen from warehouses and given new identities so probably won't be blocked in future though.

Maybe try another sim card in it? If the phone is working fine apart from the signal issue maybe it is the carriers issue?

Try another network.

Error440

And why don't you contact the seller and say you know when it was bought … And why don't you contact the seller and say you know when it was bought and you find this strange and worrying and want your money back

Is that really going to happen?, If I was the seller and the phone was working and the buyer was happy at time of sale then I know what I would say.

Bendown

Is that really going to happen?, If I was the seller and the phone was … Is that really going to happen?, If I was the seller and the phone was working and the buyer was happy at time of sale then I know what I would say.

Its worth a try they might get spooked by the fact he know when it was bought and decide its not worth him going to the police when they can instantly find another mug to sell it too

I'm a bit confused as to what gave you a sudden paranoia about this item. Surely the seller must have given off a dodgy vibe, in which case why did you buy the device in the first place?

And why should Argos or Apple give you a free replacement? Is it their duty to help you out and lose money so you can get a cheap brand new device by swapping a potentially iffy one?

Not meaning to sound harsh but sometimes you have to accept you made a mistake. If the device works then at least you can still use it - it's not like it *has* been blocked. In my opinion you'd be ripping off Argos even if you did coerce them into swapping it, though given the condition described and lack of receipt you'd be lucky.

It does amaze me how people just comment for the sake of it without being helpful...

Soulus, here's what to do - you contact the seller and say you've been having issues with signal, so you contacted Apple who say there's a warning been issued against the handset and that a retailer called ARGOS LTD have been in touch with them. Tell them that Apple have advised you to contact the Police so they can have information as to where you bought it from. Tell the seller you'd rather not do that, and you just want to get your money back. Say you'll go one step further and take a refund minus £10 or £20 to be nice.

It'll shock the seller and the £10/£20 will encourage them to be nice and give you a refund.

It's a small loss instead of a potential big loss. PM me if you want more help.

superfreddy

It does amaze me how people just comment for the sake of it without being … It does amaze me how people just comment for the sake of it without being helpful...Soulus, here's what to do - you contact the seller and say you've been having issues with signal, so you contacted Apple who say there's a warning been issued against the handset and that a retailer called ARGOS LTD have been in touch with them. Tell them that Apple have advised you to contact the Police so they can have information as to where you bought it from. Tell the seller you'd rather not do that, and you just want to get your money back. Say you'll go one step further and take a refund minus £10 or £20 to be nice.It'll shock the seller and the £10/£20 will encourage them to be nice and give you a refund.It's a small loss instead of a potential big loss. PM me if you want more help.

Exactly the kind of thing I'd do but I'd demand a full refund and give them 24 hours to man up or their details are going straight to the police.

cossy3

Exactly the kind of thing I'd do but I'd demand a full refund and give … Exactly the kind of thing I'd do but I'd demand a full refund and give them 24 hours to man up or their details are going straight to the police.

I need someone to set me straight here, the phone was purchased and is under warranty from the maker, apple. The op has took this phone in to the apple store and they have found nothing wrong with the phone. Can someone clarify what criminal offence has been committed with all this talk of going to the police?

Bendown

I need someone to set me straight here, the phone was purchased and is … I need someone to set me straight here, the phone was purchased and is under warranty from the maker, apple. The op has took this phone in to the apple store and they have found nothing wrong with the phone. Can someone clarify what criminal offence has been committed with all this talk of going to the police?

Read the comments before you comment would be a good starting point.

if you buy a phone from a shop with the intention of selling it the next day on a dodgy second hand website (why would anyone have a legit reason to do that??), you wouldn't open it and let your kid play in the mud with it

there will soon be an issue with this transaction with argos, who will block the phone. you need to get back to the seller and spin some story about speaking to apple and argos and being referred to action fraud for 'what is an obvious case of an increasingly common scam' and just get them to refund your money in full because you'd rather not contact action fraud

why people buy items like phones for cash from gumtree which is a known haven for scammers continues to astound me. these people have no feedback or trading history and there's no way to reverse a cash transaction or track them down when it goes wrong
    When ebay registers its gumtree sellers, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with them. They're bringing stolen goods. They're bringing crime. They're scammers. And some, I assume, are good people. but you should never take that risk

DennisG

why people buy items like phones for cash from gumtree which is a known … why people buy items like phones for cash from gumtree which is a known haven for scammers continues to astound me. these people have no feedback or trading history and there's no way to reverse a cash transaction or track them down when it goes wrongWhen ebay registers its gumtree sellers, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with them. They're bringing stolen goods. They're bringing crime. They're scammers. And some, I assume, are good people. but you should never take that risk

Yes, but... if you look at any of the numerous threads about selling on eBay, which does have these protections (feedback, trading history, ability to reverse transactions) and is weighted towards protecting the buyer, you see exactly the opposite. Don't sell on eBay, they always support the scammy buyer, all these things they can do and you'll have no product and no money and the only way to prevent that is to record everything and even then you have to hope.

So what's the solution? Only buy on eBay (or like eBay) where you always have comeback against the seller? Only sell on Gumtree (or like Gumtree) in cash where the buyer has no comeback against you? It doesn't sound like much of a marketplace. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and would do the same, but it's unfortunate that any set of rules (or lack thereof) is always going to be taken advantage of by the scammers.

cossy3

Read the comments before you comment would be a good starting point.

You really need to get real, it is no good dishing silly advise out. The guy has purchased a phone off Gumtree that may be stolen, do you honestly believe that this seller who you are saying is selling potentially stolen phones is just going to give the money back? Then there is the option of calling the police, thats good advise, assuming it is stolen, there is only going to be one looser in this case, the original seller will give them some cobblers and the police will take the phone from the now owner. Have you any more good advise?

Muir

Yes, but... if you look at any of the numerous threads about selling on … Yes, but... if you look at any of the numerous threads about selling on eBay, which does have these protections (feedback, trading history, ability to reverse transactions) and is weighted towards protecting the buyer, you see exactly the opposite. Don't sell on eBay, they always support the scammy buyer, all these things they can do and you'll have no product and no money and the only way to prevent that is to record everything and even then you have to hope.So what's the solution? Only buy on eBay (or like eBay) where you always have comeback against the seller? Only sell on Gumtree (or like Gumtree) in cash where the buyer has no comeback against you? It doesn't sound like much of a marketplace. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and would do the same, but it's unfortunate that any set of rules (or lack thereof) is always going to be taken advantage of by the scammers.

Here's a idea..... Or just buy from a reputable real shop? Carphone warehouse?

Back to OP

Return it back to the seller and get your money back.

Bendown

You really need to get real, it is no good dishing silly advise out. The … You really need to get real, it is no good dishing silly advise out. The guy has purchased a phone off Gumtree that may be stolen, do you honestly believe that this seller who you are saying is selling potentially stolen phones is just going to give the money back? Then there is the option of calling the police, thats good advise, assuming it is stolen, there is only going to be one looser in this case, the original seller will give them some cobblers and the police will take the phone from the now owner. Have you any more good advise?

What are you talking about? Yes I do think the seller will return the money after the threat of police. Go back to school and learn the difference between advice and advise and loser and looser. Christ.

soulus851

I bought an iPhone from gumtree on Friday, few scratches but … I bought an iPhone from gumtree on Friday, few scratches but nothing to worry about, I am worried they will eventually report it stolen and I'm left with a second hand piece of crap. I've noticed the reception keeps dropping from full coverage to no service so I took it back to Apple and they told me the phone was only 3 days old! which surprised me for a phone with had quite a bit of wear on the frame.Apple guy checked the records and it was bought from Argos on the 16/03/17 they said as its under 28 days old they cant do anything about it and the fault is with Argos, The phone tests came back with the phone working perfectly but he wrote there was a potential issue with the coverage.I've contacted the buyer and they wont give me any sort of receipt, my issue is do I tell Argos I bought the phone second hand and I need to return it without any receipt? or do I like and say I got it from a friend who's name I don't know and I want them to replace it as the phone is only 5 days old now.I am worried the phone will eventually get blocked from the previous owner so want to get a replacement asap and I know Apple wont replace it in 28 days as the tests came back fineI would apperciate any helpThank you

1 day old handset up for sale on a (mostly) second hand sales website, 'could' be a valid story behind it, but ask yourself why the seller didn't simply return to Argos under 14 day no quibble warranty and get a FULL refund.

Next you'll be telling us that you didn't collect from the sellers address and that you met somewhere, no doubt in a public place for your protection....

Instead of waiting 2 months to sell on, visit the Apple store after the 28 day period as the signal problem is still there, they 'may' issue a new handset...?

andynicol

1 day old handset up for sale on a (mostly) second hand sales website, … 1 day old handset up for sale on a (mostly) second hand sales website, 'could' be a valid story behind it, but ask yourself why the seller didn't simply return to Argos under 14 day no quibble warranty and get a FULL refund.Next you'll be telling us that you didn't collect from the sellers address and that you met somewhere, no doubt in a public place for your protection....Instead of waiting 2 months to sell on, visit the Apple store after the 28 day period as the signal problem is still there, they 'may' issue a new handset...?

They wouldn't be able to return it if it's cosmetically damaged. This may also have an impact on warranty claims.

Muir

Yes, but... if you look at any of the numerous threads about selling on … Yes, but... if you look at any of the numerous threads about selling on eBay, which does have these protections (feedback, trading history, ability to reverse transactions) and is weighted towards protecting the buyer, you see exactly the opposite. Don't sell on eBay, they always support the scammy buyer, all these things they can do and you'll have no product and no money and the only way to prevent that is to record everything and even then you have to hope.So what's the solution? Only buy on eBay (or like eBay) where you always have comeback against the seller? Only sell on Gumtree (or like Gumtree) in cash where the buyer has no comeback against you? It doesn't sound like much of a marketplace. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and would do the same, but it's unfortunate that any set of rules (or lack thereof) is always going to be taken advantage of by the scammers.

The only solution I'm satisfied with is smartfonestore who perform many checks and then offer a lifetime warranty against these issues.
    I've also bought from a trading forum similar to the one here but there's still an element of risk there

ipswich78

They wouldn't be able to return it if it's cosmetically damaged. This may … They wouldn't be able to return it if it's cosmetically damaged. This may also have an impact on warranty claims.

Incorect.

Apple issue replacement handsets even with cosmetic damage.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767537
      2. Heads-Up / Reminder - How to avoid using PayPal's own conversion rates :{33
      3. Walker crisps67
      4. Fakespot.com Amazon fake review detector.812

See more discussions