Bought MacBook Pro Off Ebay.. Seem Reliable?

Found 1st Jan 2014
Hi

Firstly, Happy New Year to everyone and Hope you all had a wonderful night

Basically I ended up buying a MacBook Pro off ebay from a seller since 05, with very good feedback, seemingly **** communication, but who is also selling other laptops and expensive equipment.

It is new and sealed and cost £250 less than the equivalent £1500 MacBook Pro in the Apple Store. (I quite wanted the bigger SSD and slightly better clock speed)

Will I run into any problems having got it off ebay? Normally I'd be reluctant but the price was very good. Which leads me to wonder how he can sell it £250 less. As far as I'm aware the Apple warranty is still intact once I register it though?

I'm not too worried as I'm a seller on ebay myself, and I know that it is hugely in favor of buyers and I would be able to get a refund if something is amiss. But I'm curious as to what you guys think and how on earth he can sell it so much cheaper?

Here is the link, in case any of you lot fancy checking it out.

ebay.co.uk/itm…b35

Cheers

88 Comments

it could well be fine but it's a bit late now isn't it? If you have these doubts you probably shouldn't have bought it.

Original Poster

deeky

it could well be fine but it's a bit late now isn't it? If you have these … it could well be fine but it's a bit late now isn't it? If you have these doubts you probably shouldn't have bought it.

I probably would have bought it anyway as I'm fairly confident in ebay supporting me if there are any issues. I also thought price was very good and was worried it would disappear... He seemingly had another one to list though oO

I'm just curious as to what others think though and especially curious as to how someone can sell a new and sealed unit for £250 quid cheaper.

Wish I had the money for the 27 inch iMac

If you're happy with the price and his feedback, and obviously the goods when they arrive, then I wouldn't concern myself too much on how he can sell it so cheap.

I've said it before and i'll say it again,

Ask for advice BEFORE parting with your cash.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2W060RJc7mk/T7PNyJzFasI/AAAAAAAABMY/-29Ax3LBF6s/s1600/enino-man-no.gif

Original Poster

spongedon005

Wish I had the money for the 27 inch iMac

That's what she said

Original Poster

transit

I've said it before and i'll say it again,Ask for advice BEFORE parting … I've said it before and i'll say it again,Ask for advice BEFORE parting with your cash.

Haha true, but in this instance I would have kicked myself for missing out and ended up spending £250 more.

If things turn out bad it shouldn't be too hard for you to pay them a visit just going by your location and theirs. Personally I wouldn't have parted with so much cash with such a seller. Firstly they don't look to be vat registered plus their listings look dire and so do their terms of return too. Fingers crossed all is well for you

Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 1st Jan 2014

A bit late now but you could have got it direct from Apple Edu store for £1288 and it would have had 3 years Apple Care.

He seems to be happy to do Cash on Collection including offering a discount - To save the fees perhaps or to remove PP Buyer Protection??

The address refers to an area of London which appears to be some industrial units, one is a Big Yellow Storage, another is a Casio Service Centre.

If you google the name and address it crops up all over the world with eBay.

simplyjimbo

If things turn out bad it shouldn't be too hard for you to pay them a … If things turn out bad it shouldn't be too hard for you to pay them a visit just going by your location and theirs. Personally I wouldn't have parted with so much cash with such a seller. Firstly they don't look to be vat registered plus their listings look dire and so do their terms of return too. Fingers crossed all is well for you

7 days return policy only item is faulty. If no fault found, buyer will … 7 days return policy only item is faulty. If no fault found, buyer will be charged £25 for redelivery fee

Spot on. That sort of attitude would have me walking straight away.

Original Poster

Stu

A bit late now but you could have got it direct from Apple Edu store for … A bit late now but you could have got it direct from Apple Edu store for £1288 and it would have had 3 years Apple Care.He seems to be happy to do Cash on Collection including offering a discount - To save the fees perhaps or to remove PP Buyer Protection??The address refers to an area of London which appears to be some industrial units, one is a Big Yellow Storage, another is a Casio Service Centre.If you google the name and address it crops up all over the world with eBay.

Hi

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize I could get it at that price without being a student though?

Original Poster

simplyjimbo

If things turn out bad it shouldn't be too hard for you to pay them a … If things turn out bad it shouldn't be too hard for you to pay them a visit just going by your location and theirs. Personally I wouldn't have parted with so much cash with such a seller. Firstly they don't look to be vat registered plus their listings look dire and so do their terms of return too. Fingers crossed all is well for you

Yeah, you're probably right I just figured it wouldn't be so much of a big deal with the Apple warranty. Of course the education offer that was alluded to earlier seems like a better choice!
Edited by: "chris2010uk" 1st Jan 2014

chris2010uk

HiThanks for the information. I didn't realize I could get it at that … HiThanks for the information. I didn't realize I could get it at that price without being a student though?

It's just one of those things, nobody ever checks.

Mine is listed on ebay at the moment, you can always buy that one instead if you want.

I did buy it off ebay in the first place as bankrupt stock, for 1149 instead of the 1649 full rrp from Apple.

Original Poster

Stu

It's just one of those things, nobody ever checks.

Do Apple not bother checking if you are? Seems strange but fair doos if that's the case

That particular model seems over £1400 though on there.
store.apple.com/uk-…fig
Edited by: "chris2010uk" 1st Jan 2014

if they are registered as a seller you have rights under Distsnce selling regs. What i do sometimes as well issee if they have sold any others ( if nothing to hide wuldn't make items private) and contact the buyers to see if they're happy. At the end of the day if it goes t--s up paypal should cover you. only once did i not get the full amount back but that was about 8 yrs ago. my oh got burned once. I am of the opinion everyone needs to start somewhere but seller turned out to be a bad un. maybe it will be fine and it's cheaper as no vat inc. What method of del is being used, i'd assume for that price registered (as opposed to recorded del) and you will have full tracking. If cheaper method then i would be concerned. i'll have a uick look now. please keep us all posted.

Strange how your link is saying that price. I can only assume it's not the HE section of the website.

Try this - store.apple.com/uk_…fig

Original Poster

IWOOTN

if they are registered as a seller you have rights under Distsnce selling … if they are registered as a seller you have rights under Distsnce selling regs. What i do sometimes as well issee if they have sold any others ( if nothing to hide wuldn't make items private) and contact the buyers to see if they're happy. At the end of the day if it goes t--s up paypal should cover you. only once did i not get the full amount back but that was about 8 yrs ago. my oh got burned once. I am of the opinion everyone needs to start somewhere but seller turned out to be a bad un. maybe it will be fine and it's cheaper as no vat inc. What method of del is being used, i'd assume for that price registered (as opposed to recorded del) and you will have full tracking. If cheaper method then i would be concerned. i'll have a uick look now. please keep us all posted.

Thanks for the information there.

Not sure what he's using, but he claims it's fast and "express delivery" so I'd hope something half decent. Will update this thread once I receive it.

Just checked he / she is registered as a business seller so you will deffo be covered under DSR
. Heres a wee link ...although you probably know all about it anyway.

pages.ebay.co.uk/hel…tml
Edited by: "IWOOTN" 1st Jan 2014

Original Poster

Stu

Strange how your link is saying that price. I can only assume it's not … Strange how your link is saying that price. I can only assume it's not the HE section of the website.Try this - http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000654/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=ME866B/A&step=config

Yep that seems fine

So you're saying I just checkout the item as I normally would and they'd honor it?

Original Poster

IWOOTN

Just checked he / she is registered as a business seller so you will … Just checked he / she is registered as a business seller so you will deffo be covered under DSE. Heres a wee link ...although you probably know all about it anyway. http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-distance.html

Thanks Pal

chris2010uk

Thanks for the information there.Not sure what he's using, but he claims … Thanks for the information there.Not sure what he's using, but he claims it's fast and "express delivery" so I'd hope something half decent. Will update this thread once I receive it.

oops crossed message, it appears to be courier. you could always ask

The fees on that must be huge so he must have a decent margin in it to be able to undercut shops by £250 - It is worrying.

He does have relatively good feedback and clearly lots of people have had items delivered but it is always a concern when you see every listing as private.

Original Poster

IWOOTN

oops crossed message, it appears to be courier. you could always ask

I sent him a message at 1PM and he still hasn't replied X)

chris2010uk

Yep that seems fineSo you're saying I just checkout the item as I … Yep that seems fineSo you're saying I just checkout the item as I normally would and they'd honor it?

Yes mate, I've used it as have family and friends. No problem.

Original Poster

Stu

The fees on that must be huge so he must have a decent margin in it to be … The fees on that must be huge so he must have a decent margin in it to be able to undercut shops by £250 - It is worrying.He does have relatively good feedback and clearly lots of people have had items delivered but it is always a concern when you see every listing as private.

Yeah that is quite annoying

Given he has been a member since 05 I decided to overlook that, but yeah, I'm still a bit ergh about it.

Original Poster

Stu

Yes mate, I've used it as have family and friends. No problem.

Pretty annoyed about that then But glad to see you've been fine with it.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.. Just wish I'd have known earlier.

chris2010uk

I sent him a message at 1PM and he still hasn't replied X)

You're not the first to mention comms issues. Have you actually paid yet?

Original Poster

deeky

You're not the first to mention comms issues. Have you actually paid yet?

Yeah I paid straight away.

Would love to cancel it though and go for the education one

chris2010uk

Yeah I paid straight away.Would love to cancel it though and go for the … Yeah I paid straight away.Would love to cancel it though and go for the education one

I'm not an expert on ebay, I just wondered if they're exempt from DSR?

Edit:

This is a short guide to Distance Selling Regulations (DSR) and eBay

DSR's do not apply to real world auctions however, trading standards and … DSR's do not apply to real world auctions however, trading standards and the DTI do NOT class eBay as auctions regardless of it being called an online auction. Therefore if you are a business you are liable to abide by DSR's and ensure you are running your business legally. Visit the eBay for business guide

May be worth looking into?
Edited by: "deeky" 1st Jan 2014

Original Poster

deeky

I'm not an expert on ebay, I just wondered if they're exempt from DSR?

As far as I'm aware, DSR applies to this.

I could be wrong though..

Might help

eBay

Stu

Might helpeBay

Looks promising.

I would just tell the seller you want to cancel and return the item (if he says it's depatched) and if he doesn't respond, just contact the resolution centre, as in the link. I wouldn't wait too long though.

Edited by: "deeky" 1st Jan 2014

Stu

a concern when you see every listing as private.

My theory is not everyone wants it visible they have bought high end tech, all some toerag lowlife would have to do is wait for them to sell something then buy it, they now have the address of someone with a £1500 laptop, if they have that high end kit chances are the house has other tech thats also easy to sell on too.

Edited by: "harlzter" 1st Jan 2014

I think your issue with DSR would be his level of cooperation etc.

You'd be much better placed if you hadn't paid but hindsight ........... blah blah.

If I recall correctly he is trading as a business seller so in eBay's eye he is trading as a company but I'm not sure how that would correlate to the real world.

harlzter

My theory is not everyone wants it visible they have bought high end … My theory is not everyone wants it visible they have bought high end tech, all some toerag lowlife would have to do is wait for them to sell something then buy it, they now have the address of someone with a £1500 laptop, if they have that high end kit chances are the house has other tech thats also easy to sell on too.

My theory is that there is something shady about it.

Original Poster

deeky

Looks promising.

Thanks guys

I suppose I could ask but it'll probably **** the seller off some-what, assuming he even bothers to reply

Hmmmm...

harlzter

My theory is not everyone wants it visible they have bought high end … My theory is not everyone wants it visible they have bought high end tech, all some toerag lowlife would have to do is wait for them to sell something then buy it, they now have the address of someone with a £1500 laptop, if they have that high end kit chances are the house has other tech thats also easy to sell on too.

I sort of see your point but it's a bit thin really. Private auction is at the choice of the seller not the buyer so it's not a train of thought from a buyers perspective that you illustrate.

We've all got tech in our houses these days you don't need an eBay conspiracy theory to know who to rob.

chris2010uk

Thanks guysI suppose I could ask but it'll probably **** the seller off … Thanks guysI suppose I could ask but it'll probably **** the seller off some-what, assuming he even bothers to reply :|Hmmmm...

You could mail him and say it was an impulse purchase and you've subsequently realised you can't afford it, your wife is going nutty blah blah. You are happy to do whatever he want's to do in order to appease eBay so that he can have his fees refunded and that you'll bung him a £25 drink for his trouble.

Original Poster

Stu

You could mail him and say it was an impulse purchase and you've … You could mail him and say it was an impulse purchase and you've subsequently realised you can't afford it, your wife is going nutty blah blah. You are happy to do whatever he want's to do in order to appease eBay so that he can have his fees refunded and that you'll bung him a £25 drink for his trouble.

The thing is, he hasn't even replied yet. I'll be nice and assume he's off today.

Assuming he replies tomorrow, and depending on what he says about the delivery, I will request to cancel it. He'll probably just lie and say he has already sent it out though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions