EXPIRED

Bought some car tyres on eBay but they weren't as described (see 1st post for pics)

Seller advertised them as having 7mm of tread and having no damage. However the tyres only have 6mm at most and there is a scuff / cut on the inner side wall in which you can pull back the damaged rubber. It is not deep enough to go through to the inside though. I paid via PayPal and the seller has mostly good feedback. I have fitted them and so far no leaks but as 1mm represents about 15% tyre wear, would it be acceptable to ask for a 15% refund?

149 Comments

Original Poster

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/9886/dscf4099e.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8454/dscf4100v.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3414/dscf4103.jpg
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6020/dscf4094.jpg

Go to paypal, plus i would give neg feedback to stop seller like this.

Depends how much they were, what size and what spec and what the seller had them specifically listed as.

Not much you can do now they have been fitted, you could fire of an email and say your dissapointed that the listing was misleading etc. see if the seller offers anything.

You don't have to tell them you have fitted them you could blag it a little and say your not happy and considering sending them back, or opening a dispute but may change your mind if a refund reflects the condition of them.

Also check very carefully if the seller listed it as a deffinate measurement or as an approximate measurement - they may be minimal recourse if they added 'approx' on the end

Original Poster

Dellboy182;5645292

Go to paypal, plus i would give neg feedback to stop seller like this.

I think people are more likely to be helpful if I haven't left them negative feedback. If they refuse a refund or are unsympathetic I will do of course!

Celticsun;5645307

Depends how much they were, what size and what spec and what the seller … Depends how much they were, what size and what spec and what the seller had them specifically listed as.Not much you can do now they have been fitted, you could fire of an email and say your dissapointed that the listing was misleading etc. see if the seller offers anything.You don't have to tell them you have fitted them you could blag it a little and say your not happy and considering sending them back, or opening a dispute but may change your mind if a refund reflects the condition of them.

Thanks for the advice. They were £95 plus shipping. 205 / 45 / 17.

"HI YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY TWO DUNLOP BMW RUNFLAT TYRES WITH 7mm TREAD SIZE 205/45-17
NO DAMAGE
I CAN ARRANGE A COURIER FOR £17.00 OR YOU CAN ARRANGE ONE OR COLLECT IN PERSON"

I'd never ever buy tyres off ebay.I prefer to know exactly what is keeping me in contact with the ground :w00t:

Banned

why did you fit them if you're not happy?

If ever you are unhappy with any eBay transaction, the first thing should always be to try and open up a good line of communication with the other party -
You say the seller has mostly good feedback - you may well be able to reach an amicable agreement without the need to ruin this.

Express your concerns & see what he offers.

Banned

rather than ask for 15% off, look at the going price for 6mm tyres and ask for the difference as that's technically what you've been provided with.

I'd then also ask for a little extra off for the damage.

Original Poster

H_K;5645375

why did you fit them if you're not happy?

I wasn't happy with the seller's description of the tyres. If he had advertised them as 6mm with uneven tyre wear and slight damage, I probably still would have bought them, although I wouldn't have paid £95. At the end of the day, I needed tyres to replace mine as mine had 2.5mm of tread and one tyre had a slow puncture anyway.

BeeKeeper;5645385

If ever you are unhappy with any eBay transaction, the first thing should … If ever you are unhappy with any eBay transaction, the first thing should always be to try and open up a good line of communication with the other party -You say the seller has mostly good feedback - you may well be able to reach an amicable agreement without the need to ruin this.Express your concerns & see what he offers.

Fortunately I have been e-mailing the seller quite frequently as we had problems with the courier (he didn't receive my e-mail with shipping labels when the courier arrived so I had to re-schedule the delivery) and he's been pretty reasonable so far.

I take it they are for a Mini? (not relevant just curious)

Look like Dunlops, had them on my Scoob.

These are a complete PITA to fit and remove, looks like removal damage.

Doesn't look like he was specific in his listings BUT he does say no damage, I would do what I suggested fire an email of and just let him know your not happy about the damage, the 1mm I would let go as tire tread measurements can be very speculative especially the difference between 6mm-7mm, Send the photo of the damage as well, seller may have just missed it.

Incidently you didn't say if you had 2 or 4, £95 is a pretty good price, usually they are about £70+ each

Original Poster

Celticsun;5645457

I take it they are for a Mini? (not relevant just curious)These are a … I take it they are for a Mini? (not relevant just curious)These are a complete PITA to fit and remove, looks like removal damage.Doesn't look like he was specific in his listings BUT he does say no damage, I would do what I suggested fire an email of and just let him know your not happy about the damage, the 1mm I would let go as tire tread measurements can be very speculative especially the difference between 6mm-7mm, Send the photo of the damage as well, seller may have just missed it.Incidently you didn't say if you had 2 or 4, £95 is a pretty good price, usually they are about £70+ each

Yeah they're for a Mini and the tyre fitter did express to me that weren't the easiest tyres to fit.

I bought the pair for £95 and these particular runflats retail for £130-£160 new. I'm just preparing an e-mail now but it's hard not to sound snobbish, I don't want to rub the guy up the wrong way! :oops:

You had them fitted therefore you accepted them as they were. Might just point the seller in the direction of this thread.

crikey that's a big lawn, where's that??

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5645600

He is going to take it the wrong way, as if you were not happy you should … He is going to take it the wrong way, as if you were not happy you should of communicated first. He can now out right refuse you any money back, as you cannot take them off post and get a refund should you open a SNAD.Problem is you see, due to fb rules, too many buyers are out to rip sellers off, partial refund or else I will neg you.I am not saying you don't have a genuine case, but you should of raised the issue before fitting them, now the seller does not have to do much.You cannot prove they were not damaged when you fitted them, therefore accepeted their condition, your seller will be quite rightly livid.Just read Shengis, I am thinking the same...............

Well I've tried to be as nice as possible, can't hurt to ask! He can't be too surprised though when he's has listed something not as described.

SunTzu;5645770

crikey that's a big lawn, where's that??

That's my garden, one of the advantages of living in the countryside... I'm still a city boy at heart though

wow, you've got a garden that big and you need to buy tyres off ebay!???!

tinkerbell28;5645931

That's your side of the story though, it could be just as easily you who … That's your side of the story though, it could be just as easily you who damaged them on fitting, just saying.So far this thread has read to me, amongst the niceness, I want a 15% refund or else I will neg.You chose to accept the tyres and fitted them, and now all of a sudden they are not good enough and they are damaged so you want a partial refund. If they were that bad to warrant a refund, why not ask first, instead of fitting them?I hate dishonest sellers as much as the next person, I also dislike dishonest buyers who will try and blag partial refunds after accepting the goods, using neg fb as a threat.

Aiii:thumbsup:
SunTzu;5645933

+1

You missed out the words 'Second Hand' :lol:

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5645931

That's your side of the story though, it could be just as easily you who … That's your side of the story though, it could be just as easily you who damaged them on fitting, just saying.So far this thread has read to me, amongst the niceness, I want a 15% refund or else I will neg.You chose to accept the tyres and fitted them, and now all of a sudden they are not good enough and they are damaged so you want a partial refund. If they were that bad to warrant a refund, why not ask first, instead of fitting them?I hate dishonest sellers as much as the next person, I also dislike dishonest buyers who will try and blag partial refunds after accepting the goods, using neg fb as a threat.

Well the pictures quite clearly show the damage before they have been fitted and I e-mailed the seller the day after I received them. Even if the seller won't offer me a refund of any kind, I won't leave him negative feedback. Neutral with a "not as described" comment would suffice.

SunTzu;5645933

What do you expect from someone who uses this site :-D

Having said that, I think I'll go back to buying new tyres from Blackcircles in the future.

Banned

so you where aware of the problmes, yet still fitted them - pmsl

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5646074

You are missing the point, if the tyres were not satisfactory to the … You are missing the point, if the tyres were not satisfactory to the amount you paid, then you should of emailed the seller PRIOR to fitting saying so and explaining why.You could then of tried to negotiate either a partial refund or full refund, now you have fitted them you still cannot prove it was not you who did the damage.In future it's good practice and more likely to get you results if you negotiate first before accepting the goods, as it could quite easliy look like you are having the seller on. They don't have to offer you anything now, where as before fitting you would of had a case.

and you seemed to have missed my point about the picture of the damage being taken prior to be fitted, e.g. the damage was present before they have been fitted. From looking at his previous feedback, 4 buyers out of 400 have reported the tyres as being not as described (with a nail in it lol) and the seller had refunded them but not for the courier costs. If I did the same, I'd be £34 out of pocket and have nothing to show for it.

I understand that you say that I should have contacted the seller prior to having them fitted, in order to have some leverage but firstly, I wanted to get the tyre fitters' opinion on the tyres (who agreed) and secondly, I needed the tyres fitting ASAP as I had a slow puncture on one of my tyres (I can only drive up to 50 miles on a flat).

In other words, returning the tyres back to the seller was never an option.

peodude;5645374

I'd never ever buy tyres off ebay.I prefer to know exactly what is … I'd never ever buy tyres off ebay.I prefer to know exactly what is keeping me in contact with the ground :w00t:

+1001

I never scrimp on tyres, and would never touch part worns, its just not worth it.

tinkerbell28;5646378

Yes it was you chose not to, fit them, accept them and try and get him to … Yes it was you chose not to, fit them, accept them and try and get him to give you a partial refund. You could of got them elsewhere, say etyres one example, will come to your door within 24 hours........You could of taken the tyres off again, to take pictures of the "damage" after you did it who knows, just saying, if you are a genuine case, you have been underhand about it.

Steady on, getting a silly arguement. OP plenty of suggestions you just have to decide which to take. Tink Calm down jeeze anyone would have thought you sold them! :-D

Tinkerbell likes arguing about ebay, because she's perfect! :w00t:

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5646378

Yes it was you chose not to, fit them, accept them and try and get him to … Yes it was you chose not to, fit them, accept them and try and get him to give you a partial refund. You could of got them elsewhere, say etyres one example, will come to your door within 24 hours........You could of taken the tyres off again, to take pictures of the "damage" after you did it who knows, just saying, if you are a genuine case, you have been underhand about it.

So you're speculating that I might have spent another £40 to remove the tyres (in addition to the £40 to have them fitted), in order to take pictures of the tyre damage (which I did in less than 24 hours), all in the hope that the seller would offer me a partial refund of around £15. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous!

The seller doesn't know whether I have had them fitted or not, and even if his only option was to have them returned at my cost, I would still have declined and had them fitted them anyway.

At the end of the day, the tyres are still legal and have more tread than my previous tyres. I am just a little disappointed to have received something more used and worn than originally described. I would have said fair enough if they seller listed them as 6mm with some side wall damage but he didn't.

peodude;5646471

Tinkerbell likes arguing about ebay, because she's perfect! :w00t:

She's not perfect she just more about eBay than everyone else on here put together.

She tells it like it is and unfortunately some people don't like being told that it is them that are fault not the buyer / seller.

There used to be another eBay advisor who this forum drove away because of the same attitude.

We should be using Tinkerbells expertese not criticising it.

Just because she knows all the in and outs seems to upset certain people on here, which i find very strange. Isn't that why the threads are started for advice?

Original Poster

DKLS;5646426

+1001 I never scrimp on tyres, and would never touch part worns, its just … +1001 I never scrimp on tyres, and would never touch part worns, its just not worth it.

I change my tyres at 2.5mm (before the 1.6mm legal requirement) and these are in fact the most expensive tyres Blackcircles offer for my car, rated "Ultra High Performance Summer". I was hoping to receive nearly new tyres with just 1mm of use but I was wrong. As I said before, I will be using blackcircles.com again after this experience.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7487/94865677.jpg

Thanks for the advice BTW guys, hopefully will receive a reply soon :thumbsup:

greg_68;5646722

She's not perfect she just more about eBay than everyone else on here put … She's not perfect she just more about eBay than everyone else on here put together.She tells it like it is and unfortunately some people don't like being told that it is them that are fault not the buyer / seller.There used to be another eBay advisor who this forum drove away because of the same attitude.We should be using Tinkerbells expertese not criticising it.Just because she knows all the in and outs seems to upset certain people on here, which i find very strange. Isn't that why the threads are started for advice?

Wooot? Are you related? I took nothing she said as fact just strong opinion. Her response was hardly insightful expertise it was emotive rant to the OP

Buying part worn isn't about the tread depth, the problem most people have with part worns is that the tyre has been moulded to another wheel and run for many hours into that shape.

You are then trying to run that on another shaped / contoured wheel face.

flyingflea;5646778

I change my tyres at 2.5mm (before the 1.6mm legal requirement) and these … I change my tyres at 2.5mm (before the 1.6mm legal requirement) and these are in fact the most expensive tyres Blackcircles offer for my car, rated "Ultra High Performance Summer". I was hoping to receive nearly new tyres with just 1mm of use but I was wrong. As I said before, I will be using blackcircles.com again after this experience.Thanks for the advice BTW guys, hopefully will receive a reply soon :thumbsup:

You don't have to run on these tires you know, they make the car handle like jelly moulds. Try alterantives hell of a lot cheaper :thumbsup:

Them tyres have uneven wear on the outside give them a couple of months they weill be bald on the outsides.

Try This website for reviews on Tyres

]Tyrereviews.co.uk

Might find some better alternatives, Run Flats are a nice idea but really compromise on handling.

Adam2050;5646840

Them tyres have uneven wear on the outside give them a couple of months … Them tyres have uneven wear on the outside give them a couple of months they weill be bald on the outsides.

Hes almost right I would say more than a couple of months but once you lose tread you can't get it back it will continue to wear, although depending what your tracking is like they may even up a little but the life of the tyre is already shortend.

Looking at the damaged tyre in the pic it looks like a near side front, judging by it looks like the cars been throw into corners hard.. vehicle probably writen off hence selling tyres (just speculating now but it amuses me)

Still £95 for 4 tyres meh!

Original Poster

Celticsun;5646814

You don't have to run on these tires you know, they make the car handle … You don't have to run on these tires you know, they make the car handle like jelly moulds. Try alterantives hell of a lot cheaper :thumbsup:

What would you recommend? The low profile 17" runflats and stiff sports suspension make for a bone shattering ride on anything other smooth tarmac but the Mini's grip and handling more than makes up for it round corners :-D

Only the rear tyres wear unevenly (on the inside) and I know it's not the tracking. Apparently it's not uncommon with Mini's and there's not much you can do about it except regularly monitoring tyre pressures.

Hi This guy bought the tyres from me and they were in perfect nick when they left with no damage. He hasn't contacted me at all ref the damage only about the cock ups with his courier. The damage looks like it was done on fitting his end. The tyres are off a 09 plate BMW mini that had had an internal fire. On getting his email tonight as with all my customers if they are not happy I will gladly offer a full refund and this is what I offered including his courier charges. He has harped on about a £15.00 refund or neutral feedback. These tyres retail each at £170 and he grabbed himself a bargain thats why he doesn't want to return them as per his email, but like a lot of ebayers these days they want something for nothing and threaten neg fb or a partial refund. Whay more can i do I didn't now he had had them fitted when I offered him a full refund but now via this website I do know he had them fitted and he can go and whistle.

Banned

alfieboy;5650033

Hi This guy bought the tyres from me and they were in perfect nick when … Hi This guy bought the tyres from me and they were in perfect nick when they left with no damage. He hasn't contacted me at all ref the damage only about the cock ups with his courier. The damage looks like it was done on fitting his end. The tyres are off a 09 plate BMW mini that had had an internal fire. On getting his email tonight as with all my customers if they are not happy I will gladly offer a full refund and this is what I offered including his courier charges. He has harped on about a £15.00 refund or neutral feedback. These tyres retail each at £170 and he grabbed himself a bargain thats why he doesn't want to return them as per his email, but like a lot of ebayers these days they want something for nothing and threaten neg fb or a partial refund. Whay more can i do I didn't now he had had them fitted when I offered him a full refund but now via this website I do know he had them fitted and he can go and whistle.

and you just happened across hukd - lol

oh and welcome to hukd :thumbsup:

And let that be a warning to other people on here, post about trying to scam an ebay member on here, with sufficient detail, the seller will be tracked down and e-mailed a link to the thread in which his item is being discussed.

We had a similar one last week with a guy deciding whether he wanted an iphone or not, that seller was also promptly contacted.

flyingflea;5646558

The seller doesn't know whether I have had them fitted or not,

alfieboy;5650033

but now via this website I do know he had them fitted and he can go and … but now via this website I do know he had them fitted and he can go and whistle.

Epic :lol:

sassie;5650070

and you just happened across hukd - loloh and welcome to hukd :thumbsup:

Thanks for tthe welcome, it was such a miracle stumbling across this website. lol :thumbsup:

alfieboy;5650211

Thanks for tthe welcome, it was such a miracle stumbling across this … Thanks for tthe welcome, it was such a miracle stumbling across this website. lol :thumbsup:

Divine intervention? :lol:

Banned

alfieboy;5650211

Thanks for tthe welcome, it was such a miracle stumbling across this … Thanks for tthe welcome, it was such a miracle stumbling across this website. lol :thumbsup:

so you gonna refund him then - pmsl

sassie;5650269

so you gonna refund him then - pmsl

definately not
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…11
    2. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109
    3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423414457

See more discussions