Bought TV from Tesco its not working

Found 8th Aug
Hi need a bit of help with this one , i bought a 49inch Sharp TV from Tesco after 17months its stopped working , i have contacted tesco , all they are offering me is a £80 partial refund , what can i do ?
Community Updates
AskSupermarket
16 Comments
try contacting Sharp I found their after sales team very good
Look at this it tells you all you need to know.

which.co.uk/con…act
Assuming no extended warranty: take the £80 and run; or politely but firmly push merchant for higher amount; or contact the manufacturer and hope for a gesture of goodwill repair / replacement. Or the only likely pre-legal option: pay for credible professional to assess the fault in the hope the professional can equally credibly show there was a defect in the TV at time of purchase (that's a leap of faith). Or do nothing.
How much did you pay for it? Because they can deduct usage by number of months up to 60 months. Eg £200 used for 17 months is : (200/60)x 17 = £56.67 deducted. Therefore a refund of £143.33
scottz172 h, 12 m ago

How much did you pay for it? Because they can deduct usage by number of …How much did you pay for it? Because they can deduct usage by number of months up to 60 months. Eg £200 used for 17 months is : (200/60)x 17 = £56.67 deducted. Therefore a refund of £143.33

Never heard of this brings thing?
17 months is incredibly poor. I have a 9 year old 37" Toshiba Regza tv which stopped displaying a backlight after 5 years. Manufacturer "tech support just said that it was too old and offered me a small discount (off rrp I must clarify) on a brand new TV.

In the end I went to a TV Forum, analysed the issue, bought a £20 part online, and fixed it myself with a screwdriver. Not gonna lie, i was afraid, but I don't give up easily.

I use this TV for EVERYTHING. Every day.
Creatishh8th Aug

Never heard of this brings thing?

‘Brings thing.’ Never heard of it too?
scottz1746 s ago

‘Brings thing.’ Never heard of it too?

My bad, I meant never heard of this policy
Creatishh8th Aug

My bad, I meant never heard of this policy

No worries, it’s because all electricals are covered for 5 years after purchase under European law. Used it a few times and shops don’t always know! Just say you want to make a European Claim
scottz174 m ago

No worries, it’s because all electricals are covered for 5 years after p …No worries, it’s because all electricals are covered for 5 years after purchase under European law. Used it a few times and shops don’t always know! Just say you want to make a European Claim

Thanks good to know, I sorta do recall this but sorta forgot, amount of items I've binned when could of got money back on
scottz174 h, 40 m ago

How much did you pay for it? Because they can deduct usage by number of …How much did you pay for it? Because they can deduct usage by number of months up to 60 months. Eg £200 used for 17 months is : (200/60)x 17 = £56.67 deducted. Therefore a refund of £143.33

As far as I know there's no such part of the law that says it has to be worked out that way. Some stores use that policy, others don't
EndlessWaves16 m ago

As far as I know there's no such part of the law that says it has to be …As far as I know there's no such part of the law that says it has to be worked out that way. Some stores use that policy, others don't

Well Apple and Argos have both done out of warranty refunds, so don’t hurt to ask.
Edited by: "scottz17" 8th Aug
scottz171 h, 28 m ago

Well Apple and Argos have both done out of warranty refunds, so don’t hurt …Well Apple and Argos have both done out of warranty refunds, so don’t hurt to ask.

Oh they can offer a price reduction (partial refund) if the item fails before a reasonable lifetime and they don't wish to offer a full refund. But as far as I know there's no accepted guidance for how much that is, beyond some wording about it being reasonable.

Whether it should be enough to replace the TV like for like (i.e. buy another 17 month old budget 49" TV secondhand) or whether it should reflect a proportion of the expected lifetime the customer got out of it doesn't seem to be well defined.
Don't think the op is bothered any more
Hi
sorry ive been busy , all of this information has been great , im still in contact with Tesco at the moment but there not budging , i will not let this go
thank you all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants