Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Boxhill Surrey

Posted 26th AugEdited by:"IndyS"
Planning on visiting this week, does anyone live locally or frequent it often, looking for advice. The National Trust site states it gets really busy, what's the best time to get there to secure parking and any suggestions on scenic routes for the best views will be welcome. Presuming they are well signposted?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
The only two memories of Boxhill are going as a child and having mint chip ice cream then in my early twenties falling off a tabogan. I'm now all grown up aged 47 lol! Sorry I know that's of no help to you but made me smile. So thank you.
Edited by: "hubcms" 26th Aug
hubcms26/08/2020 20:06

The only two memories of Boxhill are going as a child and having mint chip …The only two memories of Boxhill are going as a child and having mint chip ice cream then in my early twenties falling off a tabogan. I'm now all grown up aged 47 lol! Sorry I know that's of no help to you but made me smile. So thank you.

Glad to have taken you down memory lane
Beautiful place and legendary cycling, have a great day.
Likely to be a lot of motorcyclists there if the weather is nice, particularly Sunday.
cycleman26/08/2020 20:55

Beautiful place and legendary cycling, have a great day.

airbus33026/08/2020 20:56

Likely to be a lot of motorcyclists there if the weather is nice, …Likely to be a lot of motorcyclists there if the weather is nice, particularly Sunday.

Thanks, will we have to get there stupid early for a parking spot? not cycling btw, simply to enjoy the long walk
hubcms26/08/2020 20:06

The only two memories of Boxhill are going as a child and having mint chip …The only two memories of Boxhill are going as a child and having mint chip ice cream then in my early twenties falling off a tabogan. I'm now all grown up aged 47 lol! Sorry I know that's of no help to you but made me smile. So thank you.

I got taken out by a taboggan on Box Hill years ago (I'm 55 now, reckon I'd have been about 20 then).
One of those "You've Been Framed" moments when it took both legs away so I ended up flat on my backside on the icy slope. It got very loud and very sweary very quickly 😃
Near Boxhill as well and a nice place to visit. Lovely restaurant :
groupon.co.uk/dea…d-2

(5 min drive)
Edited by: "daniellndn" 26th Aug
There is 4 car parks you can park in, one at the bottom of the "zigzag" side if you plan to walk up, the main one opposite the cafe/toilets and visitors centre which is the largest. There a small one just beside the take away coffee/cake shop just to the right before you get to the cafe. Then the last one is a little bit further on, just past the main viewing point. It's only about 50 metres past the main viewing point. This one is less busy. Best bet is to look on Google Maps/Street View to get an idea. You shouldn't have to get there at silly o'clock to get a parking space. It's popular with cyclists, so the road up is busy. There is a pub over the 'other side' of the hill, along with a American Western themed grill/diner place, but not sure if these are open etc with the Covid stuff.
ncd26/08/2020 21:59

There is 4 car parks you can park in, one at the bottom of the "zigzag" …There is 4 car parks you can park in, one at the bottom of the "zigzag" side if you plan to walk up, the main one opposite the cafe/toilets and visitors centre which is the largest. There a small one just beside the take away coffee/cake shop just to the right before you get to the cafe. Then the last one is a little bit further on, just past the main viewing point. It's only about 50 metres past the main viewing point. This one is less busy. Best bet is to look on Google Maps/Street View to get an idea. You shouldn't have to get there at silly o'clock to get a parking space. It's popular with cyclists, so the road up is busy. There is a pub over the 'other side' of the hill, along with a American Western themed grill/diner place, but not sure if these are open etc with the Covid stuff.

thanks that's very useful, was planning to reach there by 0800, will aim for a little later.
IndyS26/08/2020 22:07

thanks that's very useful, was planning to reach there by 0800, will aim …thanks that's very useful, was planning to reach there by 0800, will aim for a little later.

No worries, getting there early will get you a nice early morning view/walk of Surrey which is amazing. It will still be busy, albeit with the early morning cyclists. Also might give a chance to go to the Denby's vineyard to get a lovely bottle of prize winning wine as mentioned above
Done it twice on a bike for RideLondon ...mental especially when it's packed as well
I preferred Leith Hill to Box Hill, which is close by, better still, do both! It is advisable to get to Box Hill early, there is a National Trust leaflet (online?) with a short walk including stepping stones over a stream. Leith Hill has better walks, and views (including central London which you can see really well using the telescope at the top of the folly tower).
Edited by: "geoffs11" 27th Aug
airbus33026/08/2020 20:56

Likely to be a lot of motorcyclists there if the weather is nice, …Likely to be a lot of motorcyclists there if the weather is nice, particularly Sunday.

That's at the bottom, they won't go up the hill as they put in tons of speed bumps.

O.P, it's national trust parking at the top, so if you have membership parking is free, otherwise you have to pay.
Got here just after 0930, car park the top was empty, down to the stepping stones and back, nice little workout. Heaving now, so good timing, thanks for all those that contributed
Post a comment
@
    Text