Boycott John West tuna, they have broken their promise to save dolphins, sharks and turtles from its fishing nets.

Found 6th Oct 2015
You can buy Waitrose, Marks, Sainsburys or Aldi home brands, they top the league.
Community Updates
46 Comments
The League Table-
Which tuna brands are worst for people, planet and oceans?

John West
They promised 100% sustainable tuna by 2016 - so far they've managed 2%. They show little intention to change.
John West's owners, Thai Union, have been linked to human rights abuses in their seafood supply chains
They must stop using unsustainable fishing methods that catch sharks, endangered turtles and other creatures

Princes
Score well for protecting local workers but very poor sustainability
They promised 100% sustainable tuna by the end of 2014. They’ve managed a measley 25%
Continue to use unsustainable methods to catch tuna, which also kill all kinds of other creatures in their nets

Lidl
Lidl’s tuna is not good for the oceans -– nearly 80% is caught using destructive fishing methods
They should commit to sourcing tuna using only sustainable fishing methods
On the positive, Lidl has good sea to shelf traceability

The Cooperative
Could be worse, should be better
Their tuna is 100% sustainably caught - which is great!
They must strengthen their policies to avoid illegally caught fish and the treatment of workers

Morrisons
100% sustainably caught...but could do more to improve
Policies to avoid illegally caught tuna and overfished stocks should be formalised
Could do more to promote the most sustainable choices in stores

Asda
Improvements being made but could do better
Recently met their promise to source 100% tuna using sustainable fishing methods
Could do more to avoid overfished stocks

Aldi
Strong new entrant to the league table
Their own brand is 100% sustainably caught which minimises harm to the oceans
They say "sourcing fish in a responsible way is really important to us"

Tesco
Huge progress made all round since last league table
100% pole- and- line caught tuna
Good traceability of tuna from sea to shelf and strong policies to avoid illegally caught fish
They say “we want to ensure that our customers can buy seafood that is both sustainable and affordable”

Sainsbury's
Top #JustTuna brand - other brands need to follow their lead
100% pole-and-line caught tuna with strong sustainability policies
Tuna is sourced fairly meaning local workers and communities are protected
They say - “We hope further progress can be made within the sector to make our oceans safer for marine species”

Marks & Spencer
Top #JustTuna brand - other companies should follow their lead.
100% sustainably caught using pole-and-line method and strong sea to shelf traceability
On sustainable tuna they say - “the future of the world’s fisheries depends on it”

Waitrose
A go to #JustTuna brand - other companies should follow their lead
Tuna is 100% sustainably caught and Waitrose is dedicated to ensuring it is fairly caught
They say “Sustainability is at the very heart of what we do”
I love Aldi's tuna, price is always low to.
So basically go for pretty much any supermarket own branded Tuna instead of the two biggest providers John West and Princes.
Don't eat tuna, neither does the cat. So not a problem to avoid, but very interesting to know thanks
Edited by: "MSK." 6th Oct 2015
why aren't the governments imposing huge fines and prosecuting their executives?
sowotsdis

why aren't the governments imposing huge fines and prosecuting their … why aren't the governments imposing huge fines and prosecuting their executives?

Great comment

but also

How do we know the stores are using only "pole and line" caught tuna?

They professed beef was fully traceable then we found out it contained horse meat.
Oh I see poor dolphins and sharks but sod the welfare of the tuna, are they not still being over fished?, plus they are full of heavy metals and fukashima radiation, low In goodness found in other fish like omega 3 and calcium
Error440

Oh I see poor dolphins and sharks but sod the welfare of the tuna, are … Oh I see poor dolphins and sharks but sod the welfare of the tuna, are they not still being over fished?, plus they are full of heavy metals and fukashima radiation, low In goodness found in other fish like omega 3 and calcium

Which fish would you recommend then?
stuarthanley

Which fish would you recommend then?

One made of tofu, duh.
Error440

Oh I see poor dolphins and sharks but sod the welfare of the tuna, are … Oh I see poor dolphins and sharks but sod the welfare of the tuna, are they not still being over fished?, plus they are full of heavy metals and fukashima radiation, low In goodness found in other fish like omega 3 and calcium

Best sources of omega 3 fatty acids: salmon, albacore tuna
Highest in protein per serving: tuna, salmon,
Lowest in cholesterol: yellowfin tuna, albacore, tuna,
Least risky fish for pollutants: deep-water ocean fish, salmon and tuna.

It would appear that your ignorance knows no bounds.

Dolphins are mammals that are second only to humans in intelligence, are proven to be self-aware and are especially vulnerable to trauma.
Error440

Most of John West’s tuna is caught using fish aggregation devices (FADs) — floating objects that attract a wide range of marine species which become entangled in ropes or are scooped up by large nets.

Globally, the devices cause 100,000 tonnes of accidental catches, known as bycatch, per year and are a significant reason why six of the seven sea turtle species and a third of sharks are threatened with extinction.

Surely you see the waste of marine life here, just to catch tuna, especially when there is a better option?
airfix

Most of John West’s tuna is caught using fish aggregation devices (FADs) — … Most of John West’s tuna is caught using fish aggregation devices (FADs) — floating objects that attract a wide range of marine species which become entangled in ropes or are scooped up by large nets.Globally, the devices cause 100,000 tonnes of accidental catches, known as bycatch, per year and are a significant reason why six of the seven sea turtle species and a third of sharks are threatened with extinction.Surely you see the waste of marine life here, just to catch tuna, especially when there is a better option?

Stop eating tuna and, instead, eat pigs, chicken, cows and sheep like normal folk?
Fred Smith

Best sources of omega 3 fatty acids: salmon, albacore tunaHighest in … Best sources of omega 3 fatty acids: salmon, albacore tunaHighest in protein per serving: tuna, salmon, Lowest in cholesterol: yellowfin tuna, albacore, tuna, Least risky fish for pollutants: deep-water ocean fish, salmon and tuna.It would appear that your ignorance knows no bounds.Dolphins are mammals that are second only to humans in intelligence, are proven to be self-aware and are especially vulnerable to trauma.

Out of interest do you know if the salmon with the lesser risk of pollution be farmed rather than wild?
stuarthanley

Stop eating tuna and, instead, eat pigs, chicken, cows and sheep like … Stop eating tuna and, instead, eat pigs, chicken, cows and sheep like normal folk?

Only eat meat which can be traced properly, and hasn't been killed in a religious way, that's my motto, but I enjoy fish too!!
airfix

Only eat meat which can be traced properly, and hasn't been killed in a … Only eat meat which can be traced properly, and hasn't been killed in a religious way, that's my motto, but I enjoy fish too!!

Can't go wrong with bacon.
At least it won't have been "blessed"
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/3642661392_5801c3b218.jpg

http://awkwardmessages.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/findavegan.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b6/40/a9/b640a976b8ba60097f0bdac31adc0f31.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ju7ELdG.jpg
Fred Smith

Best sources of omega 3 fatty acids: salmon, albacore tunaHighest in … Best sources of omega 3 fatty acids: salmon, albacore tunaHighest in protein per serving: tuna, salmon, Lowest in cholesterol: yellowfin tuna, albacore, tuna, Least risky fish for pollutants: deep-water ocean fish, salmon and tuna.It would appear that your ignorance knows no bounds.Dolphins are mammals that are second only to humans in intelligence, are proven to be self-aware and are especially vulnerable to trauma.

that list is referring to fresh not tinned, tuna is full of mercury, you are better off with sardines, mackerel and herring, they are far better for you with more omega 3, B vitamins and minerals, so how often do you eat albercore? Most tinned tuna is skipjack or yellowfin.
Fred Smith

Oh and pigs may very well be smarter then dolphines no ones really sure, they are smarter then dogs, don't stop you eating them though does it
Error440

Fred Smith

Best sources of omega 3 fatty acids: salmon, albacore tuna...

As long as tuna is eaten fresh; not from a can (tinned food production).

When "canned" the amount of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids reduce to levels similar to those present in other fish.

Other "canned" oily fish retain their omega-3 levels.

Fred Smith

...It would appear that your ignorance knows no bounds....

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & then beat you with experience.”
~Mark Twain
airfix

Most of John West’s tuna is caught using fish aggregation devices (FADs) — … Most of John West’s tuna is caught using fish aggregation devices (FADs) — floating objects that attract a wide range of marine species which become entangled in ropes or are scooped up by large nets.Globally, the devices cause 100,000 tonnes of accidental catches, known as bycatch, per year and are a significant reason why six of the seven sea turtle species and a third of sharks are threatened with extinction.Surely you see the waste of marine life here, just to catch tuna, especially when there is a better option?

The better option would be to eat less tuna and stop eating farmed prawns too as thats unsustainable and unethical
WiggyDiggyPoo

Flippin' 'eck, I think I have a new hobby X) X) X)
airfix

...Globally, the devices cause 100,000 tonnes of accidental catches, … ...Globally, the devices cause 100,000 tonnes of accidental catches, known as bycatch, per year and are a significant reason why six of the seven sea turtle species and a third of sharks are threatened with extinction.Surely you see the waste of marine life here, just to catch tuna, especially when there is a better option?

Error440

The better option would be to eat less tuna and stop eating farmed prawns … The better option would be to eat less tuna and stop eating farmed prawns too as thats unsustainable and unethical

...or eat more turtles.
stuarthanley

Stop eating tuna and, instead, eat pigs, chicken, cows and sheep like … Stop eating tuna and, instead, eat pigs, chicken, cows and sheep like normal folk?

Should cut down on all carcasses, people eat too much meat/fish in this country, internationally its the diets that contain a very modest amount of dead creatures eating them only a few times a week, rather then everyday that prove the most healthy.
WiggyDiggyPoo

There's nothing wrong with being vegan.
airfix

...Globally, the devices cause 100,000 tonnes of accidental catches, … ...Globally, the devices cause 100,000 tonnes of accidental catches, known as bycatch, per year and are a significant reason why six of the seven sea turtle species and a third of sharks are threatened with extinction.Surely you see the waste of marine life here, just to catch tuna, especially when there is a better option?

Error440

The better option would be to eat less tuna and stop eating farmed … The better option would be to eat less tuna and stop eating farmed prawns too as thats unsustainable and unethical

If you can farm em I'll try one, I hear they taste like chicken mmmmm crunchy
airfix

Error440

The better option would be to eat less tuna and stop eating farmed … The better option would be to eat less tuna and stop eating farmed prawns too as thats unsustainable and unethical

fanpages

...or eat more turtles.

Error440

If you can farm em I'll try one, I hear they taste like chicken mmmmm … If you can farm em I'll try one, I hear they taste like chicken mmmmm crunchy

Travel to the Cayman Islands & you'll find them on the menu of many restaurants.
Error440

Should cut down on all carcasses, people eat too much meat/fish in this … Should cut down on all carcasses, people eat too much meat/fish in this country, internationally its the diets that contain a very modest amount of dead creatures eating them only a few times a week, rather then everyday that prove the most healthy.

We should be eating more meat. Far too many vegetarians and vegans getting away with their shizzle nowadays.
Danielj88

stuarthanley

We should be eating more meat. Far too many vegetarians and vegans … We should be eating more meat. Far too many vegetarians and vegans getting away with their shizzle nowadays.

What about Pescetarianism?

(As well as following that diet, I also avoid dairy, gluten, aspartame &, with the exception of Christmas Day, alcohol).

airfix

Error440

fanpages

...or eat more turtles.

Error440

If you can farm em I'll try one, I hear they taste like chicken mmmmm … If you can farm em I'll try one, I hear they taste like chicken mmmmm crunchy

Do they come in their own bowl?
fanpages

Travel to the Cayman Islands & you'll find them on the menu of many … Travel to the Cayman Islands & you'll find them on the menu of many restaurants.

Error440

Do they come in their own bowl?

[ blog.ilp.org/blo…era ]
I am disappointed that the shell is not used as a bowl, maybe a tortoise would be better for that.
moneysavingkitten

Flippin' 'eck, I think I have a new hobby X)X)X)

It can be quite fun, some people get very defensive over animal rights. Or Reddit is just very weird. Probably both

Danielj88

I agree, nothing wrong with eating Tuna either.

http://gyazo.com/768528ec8a8ab940c59e58cd50f80052.png

http://uberhumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/eMjh4c2.jpg

http://www.dererumnatura.us/archives/images/hungry_med.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/14/article-1320429-0B9BCFEA000005DC-953_634x768.jpg
A slaughtered on date is a great idea, fresh meat tastes better, I would buy newer meat its really no different to trying to buy the freshest fish by noting the clarity of the eyes, no one wants one with cloudy eyes.

Just thought I would bump this as I have received an e-mail from John West. No idea why I am on their mailing list, but I am. The e-mail is covered on WWF panda logos, it links to page on their website, with no mention of WWF with different text.

Here is the text from the e-mail:

Official Release: WWF & John West - working together to source … Official Release: WWF & John West - working together to source sustainable seafoodAT JOHN WEST WE HAVE BEEN CATCHING AND SELLING FISH FOR OVER 150 YEARS. AND WE PLAN TO CARRY ON DOING THE SAME FOREVER.That is why sustainability is so important to us. In the past, we have been challenged on the need to do more to protect our oceans and at John West, we are very proud to be working in partnership with WWF to deliver full sustainability across all the species we sell.Over the last year WWF has assessed all our fish supply chain, delivering the first of a series of milestones, in order to prepare the plan to deliver full sustainability. In early 2016, WWF and John West will be announcing what we plan to achieve in the year as we move towards our ultimate goal – ensuring that by the end of the partnership our seafood will be either credibly MSC (Marine Stewardship Council) certified or engaged in fishery improvement or conservation projects aimed at bringing their sustainability status up to MSC/ASC standards for potential certification. MSC certification is recognised across the entire industry as being the best guarantee of the highest levels of sustainability. According to the analysis carried-out by WWF, some species, including wild salmon, are already at the level of the MSC certification, while some others, like tuna, require more work.For tuna in particular, we had previously hoped that the apparently straightforward Pole and Line and/or FAD-free options would allow us to achieve our sustainability objectives. However, supplies of Pole and Line have not increased as expected and only account for 10% of the tuna caught worldwide. For skipjack, the main tuna variety sold in the United Kingdom, volumes of FAD-free supplies have also remained very low. In addition, we realised that those two options still present potential concerns related to sustainability; concerns that, in some cases, still need to be addressed. We remain fully committed to our promise of achieving sustainable fishing and are confident that our work with WWF will bring a more holistic approach to tuna sustainability.

Greenpeace on their website is here: john-west.co.uk/blo…ltd

Sounds like a load old guff to me, another way of saying we haven't done it.
Edited by: "MSK." 15th Oct 2015
airfix

Error440

The crunchy effect
Im sure ive got some john west tuna sat on the shelf in the cupboard for last 10 years
this country has far too many cats, they just please themselves, making mess in your garden, why not eat them? some are very fat loads of meat, am sure the local butchers will prepare them for the oven, small charge may apply,
miles136

this country has far too many cats, they just please themselves, making … this country has far too many cats, they just please themselves, making mess in your garden, why not eat them? some are very fat loads of meat, am sure the local butchers will prepare them for the oven, small charge may apply,

It would be easier to just eat you Miles.
moneysavingkitten

It would be easier to just eat you Miles.

mmm if only u were a bloke

I like indoor cats btw
miles136

mmm if only u were a blokeI like indoor cats btw

I know
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants